Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Spurly, if this lake is close to your house (starts with S), it is totally in BC. The lake is only governed by BC regs.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardFishingMan View Post
scenario --

"Actually, he's probably wanting to catch whites at Sylvan and Gull, where Sylvan is a limit of 5, and Gull is a limit of 3" plus no white fish in my freezer

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I phoned fish & wildlife office in Calgary 10 minutes ago, and asked the office about scenario above. The answer I got is 8

They said as long as you are not exceed the provincial limit (10 in this case) and also not exceed the water body limit, you are fine

I am not sure if the answer I got is correct one or not. It is better to have some fellow members to phone their F&W office for same question and see what number they will say
If in fact it is white fish then yes the answer would be eight, I made the assumtion that the prov. limit on the fish he was fishing was 5. Never assume I guess. I still think you would be in hot water as soon as you crossed the limit threshhold for the lake you were at. "But officer i caught 3 of these at lake X", would be a tough sell sitting on 7 fish with a lake limit of 5.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM

If you package your fish and mark on the package which body of water they were caught then you should be fine say catching your 3 limit at lake A and going over to B to catch your 5 limit or visa versa.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If in fact it is white fish then yes the answer would be eight, I made the assumtion that the prov. limit on the fish he was fishing was 5. Never assume I guess. I still think you would be in hot water as soon as you crossed the limit threshhold for the lake you were at. "But officer i caught 3 of these at lake X", would be a tough sell sitting on 7 fish with a lake limit of 5.
I agree with you.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I would not want to be in possession at lake x with a legal limit from lake y while trying to top up on a combined provincial limit....that is just asking for trouble.

Which again leads me to shake my head for one reason or another....the premiss of this thread....

LC
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Yes its tough to prove, make sure you have a digital camera with the correct date for pics, and clearly take picture of you and the fish in a spot along the shoreline which is easily distinguishable.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM

F&w are to lazy they don't care not anymore they can't prove it just don't have the fish from. The other lake on the ice cause if you do then your not the sharpest tool in the shed lol
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I live on the Alberta ,BC border, one particular lake is half in BC the other half in Alberta, I have a licence to fish each province, the limit is 2 in BC, 5 in Alberta, Am I allowed,
7 fish? My possesion limit in Alberta is 5, but I have fished 2 provinces.

I don't normaly keep fish, just an interesting situation.
Depends on which province ur hme or freezer resides....or do u reside in 2 separate residences....1 in ea province? Not so hard
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM

You would still have to explain to the CO why you have 2 whitefish on the ice at Gull and 5 in the back of your truck from Sylvan.

Easier to just catch the 5 whites at Sylvan and go have a cheeseburger and a beer at the Monkey Top. I would just prefer to just avoid the whole argument.

The CO is very likely to just issue you a ticket for over fishing and the onus is upon you to defend yourself in court. No grudge on the officer, just doing the job. They are not the judges.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
F&w are to lazy they don't care not anymore they can't prove it just don't have the fish from. The other lake on the ice cause if you do then your not the sharpest tool in the shed lol
With this little gem, and your poll on F&W I'd guess your not a fan. Maybe try and see the situation through the officers eyes, why would you want to make his day more difficult?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Toss them all back and buy from the store. Problem solved.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM

So the correct answer is 8
Thanks a lot for all the responses!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
So the correct answer is 8
Thanks a lot for all the responses!
It is only 8 IF....

....you have no fish at home in your freezer of the same species....
....you caught a lake limit at one lake and not over....
....you caught a lake limit at the other lake and not over....

Also, you cannot combine a limit to make up the 8 by exceeding the limit at one of the lakes....ie. catch 4 at one lake that has a limit of 5 and catch 4 more at the other which has a limit of 3 to make up a Provincial limit of 8....

LC
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM

So if im reading right, you could fish Gull Lake for 3 Whitefish and then hop over to Sylvan for 2 more ad youre possession is 5 .
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM

wrong thread
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
So if im reading right, you could fish Gull Lake for 3 Whitefish and then hop over to Sylvan for 2 more ad youre possession is 5 .
No. You could catch three at Gull, go to Sylvan and catch five more IF you are not already in possession of any at home, as you are allowed a MAXIMUM of 10 whites in your possession. As an example, if you had five at home already, you could only bring home 5 more. Then you could either get your five at Sylvan, or two at Sylvan, and 3 at Gull. You cannot exceed the limit of the lake your fishing at, or the maximum allowable limit (which in the case of whitefish), is 10.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Sonny, I've polled the fishes and have a unanimous decision of ZERO for both catch, at all, and certainly posession limit. Looks like your SOL.

Tags
different lake, limit