Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've used it in rivers but I use a longer leader from the sinker to hook and more floatation. In a river the current pushes it down and the floatation causes it to bob up and down off the bottom. The longer the lead the higher it will ride off the bottom. In a lake it will float straight up. In a lake I usualy use 10"-18" and in a river up to 3-4'. A very versitile rig, with a heavy sinker you can just soak bait, a ligher one you can cast and retrieve, work it allong the bottom, or let it drift in the current.

Not that theres anything wrong with a good old "P" rig. I know some fishermen like to trash talk them but they are easy to use and they plain old work. I just got back from Florida where I did a fair amount of fishing on party boats. Typical of charter boats they had most of the rods rigged up with a dummy proof "P" rig type deal and a few rods rigged up to keep the "more advanced" fishermen entertained. I usualy opted for the latter but without fail, at the end of the trip the guys with the patience to soak a dropper rig all day always had the most fish.
interesting, might have to try it out sometime, sounds like a pretty versatile kind of rig. thanks for the tips!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
interesting, might have to try it out sometime, sounds like a pretty versatile kind of rig. thanks for the tips!
Another good P rig mod for pike fishing is to use split rings to attatch your hooks directly to the wire spreaders.