Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Thought this was fitting for crf250xtom...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How long and big is this fish?

How about this one?

This one?

Or how about this one.

LC
4 lbs
5 lbs
20 lbs
3 lbs
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Any one have any input on why the majority of Fisher people can't judge a Fishes weight reasonably especially when it's their fish?

Thanks.
As mentioned most people don't regularly lift weights and are unable to reasonably guess because to them it just feels heavy so they try and relate it to what weight they think would be that heavy.

Another issue is that some people use the cheap scales that are horribly inaccurate. Lots of people use the cheap red wolf spring scales but I know I have seen a couple of those that were multiple pounds off.

As for myself, I must be an exception as I often underestimate my fishes weight. I like finally having a good quality scale though and am continually working to get better with my guesses.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 AM

pike 2 1/2 lbs
bow 9 lbs
pike 17 lbs
Walter 11 lbs

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM

My point is in all of this is people who catch fish are quick to over estimate and those who are looking at pics of a good fish are quick to under estimate.

The first fish is 39 inches never weighed it but guess it was 16 lbs, was by myself and wanted to get it back quickly.

The trout was 5.5lbs never measured the length, guess at 24-25inches

The large pike was 44inches estimated weight was 23lbs

The walleye was a complete hog caught on a red Len Thompson from shore, 9lbs 4oz...9.25lbs just over 30inches if I recall and I never caught it but I did release it .

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-08-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM

We have all taken pictures of a nice fish, in a hurry to get a quick shot and sent it on it's way quickly.

I am often disappointed when I go back and review the photos ..... I (we) have measured and properly weighed fish in the 14-19 lb range and some end up looking they were 7lbs-8lbs.

I have also weighed and photographed 5lb-6lbers that looked like 10 lb-12 lbers.

It is all about perspective. Some guys here got it down to a science ..... see Brandon's post ........ that's a perfect example. I bet that laker could have been 6lb-7lbs but looks much larger. He's 100% right.

Just because someone posted up a "20lb fish" that looks closer to 10lbs ..... who cares .... as annoying as it is to some ...... it doesn't change anything.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM

I believe it was between 12 and 13 pounds on the digital but that was ten years ago so I'd be telling a fish story to tell you that's exact.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We have all taken pictures of a nice fish, in a hurry to get a quick shot and sent it on it's way quickly.

I am often disappointed when I go back and review the photos ..... I (we) have measured and properly weighed fish in the 14-19 lb range and some end up looking they were 7lbs-8lbs.

I have also weighed and photographed 5lb-6lbers that looked like 10 lb-12 lbers.

It is all about perspective. Some guys here got it down to a science ..... see Brandon's post ........ that's a perfect example. I bet that laker could have been 6lb-7lbs but looks much larger. He's 100% right.

Just because someone posted up a "20lb fish" that looks closer to 10lbs ..... who cares .... as annoying as it is to some ...... it doesn't change anything.
x2 on this post raight here,I couldn't have said it any better myself
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Any one have any input on why the majority of Fisher people can't judge a Fishes weight reasonably especially when it's their fish?

Thanks.
You ride a 250X?

Sorry bout that, bud.......

But seriously, this thread is dumb. You seem like a bit of a troll. Post some pics up first before you criticize others......
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM

I think Lefty proved a point by some of the peoples guesses.......lol. Good job Lefty.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My point is in all of this is people who catch fish are quick to over estimate and those who are looking at pics of a good fish are quick to under estimate.

The first fish is 39 inches never weighed it but guess it was 16 lbs, was by myself and wanted to get it back quickly.
The trout was 5.5lbs never measured the length, guess at 24-25inches

The large pike was 44inches estimated weight was 23lbs

The walleye was a complete hog caught on a red Len Thompson from shore, 9lbs 4oz...9.25lbs just over 30inches if I recall and I never caught it but I did release it .

LC
I was darn close on the 2 pictures that had a person for reference... Fish pictures are hard to judge when you have nothing to compare with, you end up going on body shape(that first pike looked closer to 2 lbs then anything over 10 that I have ever caught).

That is why people always say to take good pictures hold the fish near your body, you can cheat and hold it out but most people can tell and then it is nearly impossible to get an accurate idea of weight. Like these 2 fish. First one was probably 10-15 lbs... Second one would have been closer to 40. You can tell which one is larger but have little idea they are that much different.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Asking a fishermen how big his was is like asking a man how big his member is
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM

op posts a pic of a fish and how happy they were to catch it and is great to see pictures of people enjoying what we all do.....

Let's look at things for a second... does it matter how big it is? Does it matter if it was caught and released or caught and consumed? Does it matter of the hook was barbless or barbed.

All that matters really is if it was caught within the law or not and if it was not then I am sure it would not be posted....

I have yet to post a picture of a harvested animal or a fish on this forum because of the nay saying....

I have a picture that I will treasure forever of me and my boy with a trout that was a very nice fish... not a record by any means that he caught on a fly he tied himself with his own hair. That he released carefully to fight another day.

It is all about the story not the length and weight. So if someone says the fish weighed a certain amount or was a certain length.... I don;t care O just love to see the picture and hear the storyu and how they enjoyed it so I can sit here and live vicariously in the moment...

So please keep posting pictures.... and to the original OP.... DILLIGAF
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Judging a fishes weight is one thing. Having people on either accident or purpose overstate the weight of their fish is another.

I agree that sometimes people are go overboard on the topic but when a person posts a fish and claims something that is obviously incorrect it is hard to not comment. This shouldn't scare people away from posting pictures etc it should just get them to tell the truth or take better pictures etc in the future. I know I sure as hell am not going to let a couple internet warriors keep me from posting pictures of my nice fish...
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
op posts a pic of a fish and how happy they were to catch it and is great to see pictures of people enjoying what we all do.....

Let's look at things for a second... does it matter how big it is? Does it matter if it was caught and released or caught and consumed? Does it matter of the hook was barbless or barbed.

All that matters really is if it was caught within the law or not and if it was not then I am sure it would not be posted....

I have yet to post a picture of a harvested animal or a fish on this forum because of the nay saying....

I have a picture that I will treasure forever of me and my boy with a trout that was a very nice fish... not a record by any means that he caught on a fly he tied himself with his own hair. That he released carefully to fight another day.

It is all about the story not the length and weight. So if someone says the fish weighed a certain amount or was a certain length.... I don;t care O just love to see the picture and hear the storyu and how they enjoyed it so I can sit here and live vicariously in the moment...

So please keep posting pictures.... and to the original OP.... DILLIGAF
The thread should be closed on nekreds post.

The story of the journey will always trump the outcome IMO.
Closed Thread