Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM

Default Maligne Lake!

I was woundering if anyone knows if the road to Malinge lake is open? I wanted to take my nephew there on Monday. Also what's good to use to catch the bows and brooks?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 AM

still closed last i checked. Updated at this website 511.ab.ca
Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Still closed. Opening soon!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:27 AM

The road is opening today at 1:00 PM, with a reduced speed limit and no stopping zone along Medicine Lake.
July 21, 2015

Parks Canada is pleased to announce that safety measures to allow for a safe reopening of the Maligne Road will be complete tomorrow morning and the road will re-open to motorists and cyclist. A No Stop Zone through the burn area and along Medicine Lake will be in place with a speed limit of 40km/hr while potential hazards remain. Effective as of 1:00 p.m. on July 22 the Skyline Trail and Maligne Lake day hikes and backcountry campgrounds will re-open. A No Stop Zone through the burn area and along Medicine Lake will be in place with a speed limit of 40km/hr while potential hazards remain.

A revised area closure effective as of 1:00 p.m. on July 22 will allow for the re-opening of the Skyline Trail and Maligne Lake day hikes and backcountry campgrounds. Medicine Lake, the Watchtower Trail, and the Excelsior Wildfire area remain closed.

Crews continue to search for and extinguish hot spots around the perimeter of the fire. The fire is under control.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the update ! Curious how the fire got across the lake because that was not an area in the fire when it started.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Thanks for the update ! Curious how the fire got across the lake because that was not an area in the fire when it started.
It jumped the road at the north end of the lake near the viewpoint within the first few hours of being spotted.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM

The fire was actually at Medicine Lake.
Photo: Parks Canada / R. Gruys
Old 07-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Thanks Big Bull for the info/pic's and report

David
Old 07-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
The road is opening today at 1:00 PM, with a reduced speed limit and no stopping zone along Medicine Lake.
So, if I want to fish Medicine Lake, I have to "tuck'n'roll" from a moving vehicle?
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, I guess...
Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
July 21, 2015

Parks Canada is pleased to announce that safety measures to allow for a safe reopening of the Maligne Road will be complete tomorrow morning and the road will re-open to motorists and cyclist. A No Stop Zone through the burn area and along Medicine Lake will be in place with a speed limit of 40km/hr while potential hazards remain. Effective as of 1:00 p.m. on July 22 the Skyline Trail and Maligne Lake day hikes and backcountry campgrounds will re-open. A No Stop Zone through the burn area and along Medicine Lake will be in place with a speed limit of 40km/hr while potential hazards remain.

A revised area closure effective as of 1:00 p.m. on July 22 will allow for the re-opening of the Skyline Trail and Maligne Lake day hikes and backcountry campgrounds. Medicine Lake, the Watchtower Trail, and the Excelsior Wildfire area remain closed.

Crews continue to search for and extinguish hot spots around the perimeter of the fire. The fire is under control.
You gonna head up and do some buzz bombin' ?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
The fire was actually at Medicine Lake.
Photo: Parks Canada / R. Gruys
That area will be a s#%t show if it see's any amount of rain. It was a bad area for rock slides when the trees were intact now having the fire going thru the ground will be quite unstable for a few years. Why the hell they built the road on that side of medicine lake is beyond me?