Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Good size youth deer caliber?

Hey guys,

My daughter turns 12 in January and I wanted to get your opinions on a good size youth's rifle. Particularly which calibers would be good choices for hunting whitetails in mixed farmland/bush? I don't know much about rifles, being a bowhunter myself, but I want something that she can learn to shoot fairly quickly and will be big enough for a deer. I was thinking a .243 or such but am not sure if it is big enough.

She loves coming out with me and can't wait to be able to hunt, but unfortunately due to her small size and other time consuming athletic activities she is not ready to shoot a 40lb+ bow yet.

Does anyone have a youth rifle for sale?

Thanks, Straight Arrow
Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
sheephunter

Yup, .243...25-06 both good choices....just make sure it fits her well. This may require some stock modification.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Straight Arrow – My 12 year old daughter took her first mule buck this season with a 243 Winchester with 95 grain bullets. The deer was close to 265 lbs. and went down with a single shot at about 70 yards. I had bought her a 25-06 a few years ago, but figured it would be better to get her comfortable shooting a more recoil-friendly cartridge first. I’m not suggesting that the 25-06 is unfriendly, but the key to accuracy is confidence and most new shooters are very sensitive to recoil.

With the great selection of premium bullets available, I would have no qualms in recommending the 243 Winchester as a great deer rifle… not just for beginners. Just as important as cartridge selection is rifle fit. I would suggest having her shoulder various rifles to find one that she is comfortable holding and fits her frame. I purchased a Remington Model 7 Youth Model, as my daughter is quite petite. Best of luck to both you and your daughter in your outdoor pursuits! Regards, Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM

I would also recommend a 7.08. Very little recoil. Good selection of bullets. And very good ballistics. I found with fitting my son when he was 12 I knew if I got a youth model within 2 years it would not fit him right. So bought the M700 SPS stainless. Nice light first time hunter rifle. Hey I like it too. I don't mind him using my rifles, He wears my boots its a different story Just saying he never drys them out.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
Make sure you have good optics on top of your daughters rifle and have the eye releif set so she can get her head down on the stock without getting a scope in the forehead.

Here we go again.
Very good point. I purchased a Bushnell Elite 2X7 for this very reason. I had her shoot 3 or 4 shots without her looking through the scope just to get used to the recoil. I then turned the magnification to 2X and we went up from there. I remember the first time she pulled the trigger, she looked up at me and said "It kicks quite a bit more than the .22 Dad!". The day after she shot her mule buck, off a bipod from the prone position, she confessed that her shoulder was a "bit" sore. Depending on the terrain you will be hunting, I would also strongly recommend a bipod. I think the experience of the first harvest (especially) will largely influence your child's hunting future. Regards, Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

257, 7x57 are excellent starter rounds - better than 243 IMO having had "beginners" start out with each.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
257, 7x57 are excellent starter rounds - better than 243 IMO having had "beginners" start out with each.
The trouble with the two above mentioned calibers is no factory rifles are made in a youth configuration in those calibers.
I'd go 7mm-08, personally.
Reload it with 120's at about 2600fps and let em shoot it lots.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM

My buddy has a kid who is build like a sparrow (his words, not mine) He picked up a Remington mod 7 youth, 260 rem for his boys to share. that is my idea of a starter gun. It is built for kids, has open sights and is synthetic stocked. That way, you can start the kid with irons before mounting a scope, that way they can walk before they run.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 PM

My recomendation's would be the 257,260, or 7-08, or 7x57 if you buy factory ammo. If you reload then I would add the 308 as one can easily load light loads safely in them and still get good groups. The 7-08 and 7X57 might be better handloading as well depending on the person. I bought a Stevens 308 for 329 bucks brand new this fall for my 11 year old to shoot. Without playing with the trigger and just using a load I had on hand, I shot a 4 shot 5/8ths group with it at 100 yards. Using cast bullets for practice it is very cheap to shoot, and it just goes pop with a light powder load. I honestly think these are better deer calibers than the 243/6mm and 25-06. Sometimes these calibers with the faster bullets aren't quite as good as the forementioned ones. That said my 12 year old daughter got her first two deer this year with a 25-06. If you own a 243/6mm, 25/06 I don't think it worth the extra money to get something else, however if I was buying specificly for either of my kids it wouldn't be either of these. For cheap and good the Steven's/Savage rifles are hard to beat. For a little more money the Vangard youth is a great deal. It comes with two stocks. A short one that fits kids pretty good, and a bigger stock when they outgrow the short one. This rifle was in the 700 to 750 dollar range.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The trouble with the two above mentioned calibers is no factory rifles are made in a youth configuration in those calibers.
I'd go 7mm-08, personally.
Reload it with 120's at about 2600fps and let em shoot it lots.
Good point on that. My experience with "starters" was with fairly large framed kids at 14 years of age. Now with the 12 yr. rule gun size will be a much more important consideration.

If you are reloading, almost any calibre is fair game. For a long time my wife shot 130 gr. pills out of the 270 at 2700 fps. She much preferred the lower recoil and report of that loading and since she never intended to take a shot over 200 yards it was more than enough for anything she was shooting. Then she got drawn for moose and has been shooting full load ammo ever since.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 AM

I would go with the 243 its more recoil friendly and has plenty power for deer. The ammo choice will be good also try finding 7mm08 or 260 257 at the local stores. When she gets used to it and wants to upgrade them you get to go gun shopping again.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 AM

My daughter is born on opening day of rifle season and turned 12 this year she's been hunting with since she was 3.I bought her a youth model remington 243,she shot a buck and a doe this year both dropped where they were standing.My 9 year old girl has even shot the gun and loved it.Bought it at "canadian tire" with a scope and a clip for $399.00.Shot all her deer with 90 grain scrioco,remington premere .I would highly recomend this gun for new hunter.Good luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:50 AM

Thumbs up

I did some research and I will get Remington Seven in 7mm-08 for my 13-years old son….
Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 AM

I looked at a rem. model 7 youth 7mm-08 at Wholesale Sports yesterday and it ia a nice looking little gun. When they start to outgrow it you can always add a recoil pad to gain an extra inch in stock length. my son is turning 12 in Jan. also so I have been shopping around. You can get factory ammo for the 7mm-08 in 120 , 139(Hornady) and 140 grain so there is enough choices out there.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Savage makes an awsome youth rifle 243 may not shine in the same way as the 7-08 great caliber! The plus is ammo availability and cost along with the ability to get lots of practice with varmint loads and with bullets of the quality of the Barnes TSX , Partition and hopefully an accubond in the near future it has good take down power for antelope and deer sized game it's only MOP but I would check it out my sons shoots sub MOA easy and has loved everything I have loaded for it from 55 /58 gr up to 100 so far. My son loves the 25-06 as well but he doesn't mind the 243 at all

This is the savage 243 youth rifle the muzzel brake is able to be open or closed but don't ask me why a 243 has a brake ?

Last edited by Donny Bear; 12-06-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM

243 not my fav (had one for a short time) but there has been plenty of success with it by other people.

243, 260,7-08, 257 roberts, 25-06, 30-30 and probably a few more will work.

Ruger makes a compact that feels like a 22 my son liked it when he picked it up, but dads budget says no $700 dollar guns for kids. My understanding is that the weatherby youth model comes with an adult stock.

I ended up going with the handi rifle, but not the regular way. Last year I added a 22 hornetsuper light to the inventory, this was to handle the introduction to centerfire and to be used for gopher and coyotes.

Then on a handi rifle board I saw a used barrel 7-08 with a scope. Bought it and had it mailed up. Now I was expecting to do some fitting (handis are not truly interchangable like tc's) but it fit that frame like it came from the factory (easy to test). $135 shipped got to like that.