Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Wmu 248

In WMU 248 you can use shotgun, ML or bow for deer hunting.

My question is can you use rifle (22-250) for coyotes in WMU 248 or it has to be shotgun, ML and bow ONLY.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Good question Shek. I don't have the answer. I don't think you can use a center fire rifle, even for coyotes, but I'm not certain. Anybody know?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Hmm

I always thought 248 was a bow only zone but then there is a shotgun season in Strathcona. I am fairly certain that you can't use the 22-250. I will see what I can find in the regs later on when I get home but I wouldn't venturing anywhere in 248 with any sort of rifle, ML or shotgun unless you talk to F&W.

Morb
Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:

- rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
Quote:
It is unlawful to

- hunt game birds in WMU 212 or 248 with other than a bow and arrow, a cross-bow, shotgun or falconry bird.
That is all I can find re 248 and firearms. Seems to me that hunting coyotes with a rifle is permitted.........wouldn't hurt to check like Morbius says...

Quote:
Other Species
Quote:
Coyote
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2007 to February 28, 2008, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from December 17, 2007 to February 28, 2008.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Native Rifle Hunting in Bow Zones?

I'm not meaning to stir the pot etc but are native or metis hunters allowed to hunt in bow zones with rifles? I have heard a few shots ringing out over the years and wondered. I'm suspecting that they are bow zones due to high population densities etc. and the safety factor of discharging firearms in such areas. Does anyone know F&W's and/or government's view on this?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Default no guns

I think you can only shoot waterfowl with shotguns in 248 with the exception of strathcona. That might have been the shots you heard. I think everything else including coyotes are illegal. It is because its vacinity to the city.

As for the natives, I believe they have to follow the rules about the tools used to harvest an animal.

Morb
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Sharpedge

Default Hunting in bow zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
I'm not meaning to stir the pot etc but are native or metis hunters allowed to hunt in bow zones with rifles? I have heard a few shots ringing out over the years and wondered. I'm suspecting that they are bow zones due to high population densities etc. and the safety factor of discharging firearms in such areas. Does anyone know F&W's and/or government's view on this?
Yes. NO CROSSBOWS!

And to quote the late great Dave Tomlinson. 'It doesn't have to make sense. It's goverment policy.'

Sharpedge