Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Electronic calls

Are they allowed in Alberta for predator hunting?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Nope!
Probably the only place in the free world they are not.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Yes, we here in Alberta have to depend on skill... I'm sunk. LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Nope!
Probably the only place in the free world they are not.
Any idea if that has ever been a change brought forward for consideration to SRD? If so what sort of feedback has there been to the idea?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I understand it has been brought up a few times and to this point it has not changed the regs.

As far as skill goes, whether you use hand calls or electronic, there is still skill required. You won't buy an e caller and start killing stuff if you don't have the other skills required.

I hunt jurisdictions where e callers are legal and use them in conjuntion with hand calls. Often the e-caller is a disadvantage, at least with predators, if you don't know what you are doing.

I have heard the arguments that electronics are a no brainer for the hunter and offer a serious advantage. Unfortunately those that offer tht argument usually do not have the experience to back it up.

E-callers offer a chance for a hunter that is not a decent caller or may have some condition that prevents him from blowing a call, to pursue his sport.

As I said I use both types of calls and I can't find an advantage in results from one to the other. The e-callers are simply easier for some to use.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Red, their is no law against using an ecaller,say FoxPro, in conjunction with a JIB and only using the remote feature for the JIB?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM

I was at wholesale sports yesterday and primos has a new call out called the E-Can it is just like the can call they have for doe bleats but you push it and it electronicly makes a sound.
These calls were almost sold out .....I know that wholesale is not held to follow the alberta regulation for products they sell but it would be good to post a disclaimed about these and other electronic calls they sell.

Now to touch on this in a different way I was really pondering the difference between this and a hootchie mama you push both and they both make the same sound all the time no skill required.

I prefer to have it no electronic calls just as I prefer it to be no bait I think there is part of hunting that disappears when either an electronic call or bait is used...

My 2 Cents
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM

The way I understood it that if you are hunting predators that have no season on private or agricultural disposition you could use an E caller, but not allowed where there is a season for predators?

Same idea as hunting after legal light, obviously not allowed for deer, elk, etc... But since there is no season for coyotes on private land you could legally shoot them at night?

Disclaimer: I do none of the above, but this is how I understand it.

AW
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Night hunting is not legal at any time for any reason. Get caught doing it, and you may be charged under the criminal code, in addition to the provincial regs.

E callers are not legal in Alberta period.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Mulestalker, in the case you mentioned. The Foxpro unit is used as a link to operate the decoy with a remote. The decoy plugs into the caller and can be operated with the remote without using the caller for sound.

E=callers are not legal for hunting in Alberta. I sell them and I'm very aware of the law. Albertans that buy them can obviously use them for hunting in jurisdictions where they are legal.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM

I bought an electronic caller recently - at the time I didn't know they are not legal in Alberta. The salesperson made a comment about them being good for "practising calls" but I took that to be an additional feature. Should have questioned him more closely, but that's my fault, I suppose. Still, if I'd known they were illegal, I don't think I'd have bought it.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The way I understood it that if you are hunting predators that have no season on private or agricultural disposition you could use an E caller, but not allowed where there is a season for predators?

Same idea as hunting after legal light, obviously not allowed for deer, elk, etc... But since there is no season for coyotes on private land you could legally shoot them at night?
Nope and nope. Not spelled out very clearly or possibly at all but either will land you with a charge. There is strong support for allowing the use of e-callers for wolves and it has been suggested to SRD on a number of occasions but so far they haven't budged.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhunter View Post
I bought an electronic caller recently - at the time I didn't know they are not legal in Alberta. The salesperson made a comment about them being good for "practising calls" but I took that to be an additional feature. Should have questioned him more closely, but that's my fault, I suppose. Still, if I'd known they were illegal, I don't think I'd have bought it.
Did you buy it in Alberta? Strikes me a reputable place would advise "You know it's illegal in Alberta to actually use this, right?" Sort of reminds me of head shops that sell hash pipes... the tool is not illegal, but using it is.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-05-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM

What about those furry vibrating contraptions that are all visual.

like these http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Edge...+Kritter+Decoy

Does anyone use them or approached a co and asked about them?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Did you buy it in Alberta? Strikes me a reputable place would advise "You know it's illegal in Alberta to actually use this, right?" Sort of reminds me of head shops that sell hash pipes... the tool is not illegal, but using it is.
Yep, in Alberta. :-(
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

I would assume the fake vibrating things are ok..
We use Robo ducks for waterfowl.

Jamie
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Totally illegal in the NWT....baiting is out as well.

They sell them in the store up here but are for "practice" only.

Attractants such as scents are out as well. You may win an argument in court by using the "cover scent" argument....but it may cost you. I talked about this with an officer up here. He said to use "fox" scent as a cover. My response was that I do not sound like a fox when I'm walking through the bush. Regardless, the only stench around me is me.

tm