Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Underwater Camera advice needed

Well, with hardwater season creeping up day by day, I'm thinking more and more about getting myself an underwater cam for a little extra entertainment out on the ice.

I'm looking for a decent middle of the road unit - I don't want a super cheapie that I'll end up wanting to replace next season for something better, but I don't want to break the bank on it either...we'll say budget is around $300 max.

Does anybody have any experience with the Cabela's Advanced Angler Elite Series Underwater Camera? http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1615&ID=25777 It looks pretty decent with either a 5.5" or 7" color LCD monitor.

The MarCum VS380 is also around the same price range, though it's black & white and has a CRT monitor. https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....TSBYCLASSG=10C

At a glance the choice seems obvious between the two, but I'm sure there's more to it than just the monitor.

So what exactly should I be looking for in a cam? I assume most don't come with a power source?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM

I am also interested in this... I want an underwater camera for this year too. Suggestions anyone? Im looking at about the same $ situation.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

The angler elite from what i heard is made for cabelas by marcum
the only problem I could see the elite has a built in heater because of the LCD screen don't know how that will wear on battery.I have two marcums and love them
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
The angler elite from what i heard is made for cabelas by marcum
the only problem I could see the elite has a built in heater because of the LCD screen don't know how that will wear on battery.I have two marcums and love them
That's kind of what I was thinking too...and since I spend most of my time hanging out in the heated tent, extra heat for the monitor wouldn't really be needed.

That being said, I like the idea of a color LCD at a decent price. I wonder if the heater can be turned off? I may have to go down one of these days and investigate.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking too...and since I spend most of my time hanging out in the heated tent, extra heat for the monitor wouldn't really be needed.

That being said, I like the idea of a color LCD at a decent price. I wonder if the heater can be turned off? I may have to go down one of these days and investigate.
I just wonder at 25+ ft how much color would you see? have never see one my self.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I just wonder at 25+ ft how much color would you see? have never see one my self.
Only saw Thorne's color unit last year...I think it may have been a Marcum but not sure...looked slick anyway.

Most of my ice fishing is done out at Wab anyway, and typically no deeper than 15'.

Good question though...these are the things that I don't know that I need to learn about

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM

I have the Marcum LCD camera system and love it, to battery will last 2 days in the cold and as for the colour it is not worth the extra money...you can not see colour after 20'.
If I was to buy anther unit I would look long and hard at the Vexlar units..
Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I have the Marcum LCD camera system and love it, to battery will last 2 days in the cold and as for the colour it is not worth the extra money...you can not see colour after 20'.
If I was to buy anther unit I would look long and hard at the Vexlar units..
Thanks for the input i had wondered about the color.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Geez,

make this guy an offer. i've run this same unit for a number of trouble free years and it's still going strong. i know others that prefer these units still over some of the newer cameras as well. that being said, i did have the chance to fish with the top end marcum last season at spray. we were in 90 fow and the camera worked beautiful and the lighting was great. good four feet of snow on top the ice as well. little higher end then what you're looking for though it think.

check this camera out, they're bullet proof.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=108543

Dace
Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I am also interested in this... I want an underwater camera for this year too. Suggestions anyone? Im looking at about the same $ situation.
Go with a flasher over a Camera. You seen how good mine worked for perch and trout last season.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 AM

For Sale ( Aqua View scout ll )
I am selling a aqua view scout ll.

comes with everything.
-camera with 50 feet of cord
-charger
-protectant case
-tri pod
-original box

asking 200 o.b.o
If u are interested reply or send me a private message.
thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 AM

People seem a little too quick to dismiss the color. The new Marcum has an autosense of light balance and with switch between B&W and color depending on light and clarity. Can't ask for anymore than that. I find that on most lakes I'm viewing in color on nice sunny days from mid-morning to later afternoon.

If anyone picks up a Cabelas this year, report back on how it did for you. They do seem to be 20-25% less than AquaVu.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 AM

Jay just my opinion but the color screen would be nice say in other smaller lakes I've fished with you especially for them Brookies in shallow water. I also think a 7" screen is the way to go, personally after doing a little research myself I think I'm going with the cabelas unit. If you want next time your by I can show one modified into a small suitcase that flips over with a 17" led monitor that is pretty slick.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Geez,

make this guy an offer. i've run this same unit for a number of trouble free years and it's still going strong. i know others that prefer these units still over some of the newer cameras as well. that being said, i did have the chance to fish with the top end marcum last season at spray. we were in 90 fow and the camera worked beautiful and the lighting was great. good four feet of snow on top the ice as well. little higher end then what you're looking for though it think.

check this camera out, they're bullet proof.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=108543

Dace
Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
For Sale ( Aqua View scout ll )
I am selling a aqua view scout ll.

comes with everything.
-camera with 50 feet of cord
-charger
-protectant case
-tri pod
-original box

asking 200 o.b.o
If u are interested reply or send me a private message.
thanks
Thanks guys, I'll definitely keep these in mind. I may scoop something up in the next week or so, but I want to make sure I do my homework and get something I'm going to be happy with so I don't have to buy another in a couple years when this one's not "good enough" anymore.

Going back to what SNAPfisher mentioned, now that I think back I do recall Thorne's color unit also switched to B&W in poor light. At first we thought that something was wrong until we figured out this 'feature'

Does anybody have any input specifically on the Aqua-Vu 500 or Aqua-Vu 700? Both are on sale at WSS and within budget.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Im going to order the 700 while its on sale. word of advice, if your cable gets frozen into the ice, break the ice, dont pull the cable got a pinhole in my cablesleeve last spring and water slowly seeped into the camera, glad it was a cheap camera. even a cheapo teaches you a lot about the fish and their reactions and habits, definitely a valuable tool. as for the flasher guys, cool to watch the pretty lights, but personally Id rather see the actual fish eating the actual bait, not flashing lights.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 AM

Thinking about getting rid of my aquavu 7" and getting one of those new micros. Check out aquavu web site, it looks realy cool.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM

We saw that micro one as well ad it seem really interesting, I am not sure I would go with first generation gear myself but I do see that concept as the future.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM

i have an older 5 " fish TV. They still sell them but its kind of
out of date. The new color LCD units have no glare etc and I
beleive that Marcum has the top of the line.

regardless of what you get ...... Get the MOPOD remote tripod
system. It has a remote key FOB type of control unit that allows
you to scan 360 degrees. Without it ... your only going to enjoy
your unit a min. amount of what it could be.
anyone who has fiddled trying to turn the camera by screwing with
the cable will tell you the same if they are being honest.

Ideally I set mine up about 10 to 14 ft from my hook so I can see
whats comming and going.......

enjoy your new camera......and MOPOD
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy10 View Post
regardless of what you get ...... Get the MOPOD remote tripod
system. It has a remote key FOB type of control unit that allows
you to scan 360 degrees. Without it ... your only going to enjoy
your unit a min. amount of what it could be.
anyone who has fiddled trying to turn the camera by screwing with
the cable will tell you the same if they are being honest.

Ideally I set mine up about 10 to 14 ft from my hook so I can see
whats comming and going.......

enjoy your new camera......and MOPOD
x2

I have the Marcum color LCD unit and by far the most useful thing is the remote panning control. I've tried adjusting it manually and it gets frustrating real fast.