Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Methods

What is your favorite go to method for this Lake? Fish deep with Wetaskiwin specials? Wire wraps?

No one seems to be catching other that the mythical few. I have seen no less than 2 different biologists skewered and nearly publicly tarred and feathered by insisting there is still a viable whitefish fishery there.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 PM

I've been toying with the idea of a new method:
Quote:
Depth Charges
That lake has beaten me into nothingness. Must be mismanagement of the fishery for sure as I could not possible be that bad at fishing...
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Seen the pictures you sarcastic wiener......you're just toying with me. Whatever, I've decided to take it personally.

I'm headin' in to Cabela's to buy a flasher.

Deep water for the rest of the year.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 PM

And they have mismanaged the fishery. They claim that the 'public' wanted walleye.

Really?????

I think if we had known it mean't near extirpation of Pigeon Lake's (and other nearby lakes) perch fishery, and a drastic reduction of the whitefish we likely would have told them where they could stick the walleye.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 PM

this lake has its secrets. and when you figure them out like i did, it slaps you in the face and they move. happens to me every year after christmas
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Nope not buying it. Have fished this lake for 30 years. SRD screwed it up. We had no problems catching whitefish off of crystal springs (in deep water) every year until they started fooling around with the trash fish (aka walleye).

......and they still net it if it wasn't bad enough.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
this lake has its secrets. and when you figure them out like i did, it slaps you in the face and they move. happens to me every year after christmas
X2,
Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM

Default lifesaflyin??

I don't understand what you mean, please explain. BEL
Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Just think about this theory of what has happened.

Years ago, before the introduction of walleye, there were more white-fish in the lake than you could shake a jigging stick at.

The fish were relatively "small" and moved over the whole lake desperate to eat anything they could. Anglers were happy as they could catch these fish without too much difficulty.

Then walleye were introduced (and it was mostly at the request of anglers).
The whites now have more big predators after them, so they cannot live safely all over the lake. There are not so many of them and those who are left are not so desperate for food. They live and grow to be bigger fish and live deeper in the lake.

Anglers who go out and fish in the same areas they used to and use the same methods do not catch white-fish.

The fish are not all gone. They are bigger, less desperate to bite and found in deeper water.

That is why a net fishery has returned. The anglers are not catching these big whites so net fishermen using really large mesh nets are able to go deep and get whites without getting many pike or walleye.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Years ago, before the introduction of walleye, there were more white-fish in the lake than you could shake a jigging stick at.

The fish were relatively "small" and moved over the whole lake desperate to eat anything they could. Anglers were happy as they could catch these fish without too much difficulty.

The whites now have more big predators after them, so they cannot live safely all over the lake. There are not so many of them and those who are left are not so desperate for food. They live and grow to be bigger fish and live deeper in the lake.

Anglers who go out and fish in the same areas they used to and use the same methods do not catch white-fish.

The fish are not all gone. They are bigger, less desperate to bite and found in deeper water.

That is why a net fishery has returned. The anglers are not catching these big whites so net fishermen using really large mesh nets are able to go deep and get whites without getting many pike or walleye.
Damn! So your saying that I do suck afterall.
Well, I'm all out of challenge on Pigeon for the time being. You are correct that I returned to the same areas that produced last couple of years. Challenging lake for sure though!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM

I personally think the trick for pigeon lake now is Patience and lots of it.

For the whites, I have always offered up a brass or copper wireworm presented horizontally. This has worked in the past, at many lakes with average results.

They are a very elusive fish, almost like the MOB of the fish world. They can be seen but a bitch to catch at times

Same with a brass kastmaster

Lately seems like a guy needs to almost "electro" fish just to get one up the hole. I am joking when I say that of course.

Over all the pressure on pigeon lake needs to be reduced IMO.

I for one am taking a 5 year break from fishing pigeon lake, not like I have every done well there, but that's the reason for my "backing off"
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM

I got out of hand last night with a couple of posts. Sorry to anyone I may have offended
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Say what?!! I thought you were funny - must have the same sense of humour as me

Cheers bud!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Hey I think we can all take it... after all we are all men right?
Well some of us are actually Ladies.... seriously no insults there are actually a fair amount of female members on this board. I have met a few before.

Have a good one out there guys,

Winter fun for all.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM

As in any type of fishing there are times to fish in differn,t areas
as in any lake there are food sources that the target fish will be eating
as in any lake there are times of the day when the fish are eating
As in any fishing there are certain days of a month that will be better fishing
as in any fishing there is a proper presentation that will induce a bite
as in any fishing there are those days when you can,t get a bite
As in any fishing the barometric pressure is wrong for fishing
as in any lake the food source change as per season

Being a Analytical Angler is allways a great tool

Food for Thought
David
Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
As in any type of fishing there are times to fish in differn,t areas
as in any lake there are food sources that the target fish will be eating
as in any lake there are times of the day when the fish are eating
As in any fishing there are certain days of a month that will be better fishing
as in any fishing there is a proper presentation that will induce a bite
as in any fishing there are those days when you can,t get a bite
As in any fishing the barometric pressure is wrong for fishing
as in any lake the food source change as per season

Being a Analytical Angler is allways a great tool

Food for Thought
David

Agreed,

I also like food... it's the thought process that is wearing my thin... Damn brain can't seem to get it to.... Ummm?

Food?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM

not this summer but the 2 before it, there were thousands of whitefish dying from the algae and fast rising water temps.....could this be the reason for the slow fishing there?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

I happen to agree that way too much emphasis has been given to walleye management at the expense of what used to be reasonable fisheries for other species.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

This is the best explanation I have found as to whats wrong with pigeon, its simply a method change. x2 on the flasher and going deep. I'd even start toying around with bell hooks and other gadgets , to try and compensate for the change in whitefish size/behavior.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Took us 3 tries before we found the whites this year at Pigeon. First time I've fished the lake in 4 years and they're not where they used to be. Think deep, and be patient.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Years ago when I used to fish Pigeon, we were always in deep water during January and February. We always referred to it as deep sea fishing, and I hated it becuase you can't see the fish, and it was always damn cold and windy. Most of the time the fish were caught by snagging with the good old Wetaskiwin special, jigging pretty hard with a one foot swing. Opening up the hook increased results!

I was alot happier come march when the the fish moved back shallow and it warmed up, limit out by noon is one of the best feelings, and knowing you could get a nap in before the Hockey night in Canada, made it even better.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
Years ago when I used to fish Pigeon, we were always in deep water during January and February. We always referred to it as deep sea fishing, and I hated it becuase you can't see the fish, and it was always damn cold and windy. Most of the time the fish were caught by snagging with the good old Wetaskiwin special, jigging pretty hard with a one foot swing. Opening up the hook increased results!

I was alot happier come march when the the fish moved back shallow and it warmed up, limit out by noon is one of the best feelings, and knowing you could get a nap in before the Hockey night in Canada, made it even better.
Interesting, are you still snagging fish with wetaskiwins?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
I personally think the trick for pigeon lake now is Patience and lots of it.

For the whites, I have always offered up a brass or copper wireworm presented horizontally. This has worked in the past, at many lakes with average results.

They are a very elusive fish, almost like the MOB of the fish world. They can be seen but a bitch to catch at times

Same with a brass kastmaster

Lately seems like a guy needs to almost "electro" fish just to get one up the hole. I am joking when I say that of course.

Over all the pressure on pigeon lake needs to be reduced IMO.

I for one am taking a 5 year break from fishing pigeon lake, not like I have every done well there, but that's the reason for my "backing off"

solid pigeon white lure selection info. kastmaster in deeper water. a small brass or copper spinner blade with a treble wired to the bottom of the blade also will produce in shallow water.

Dace
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Why do you people insist on fishing for whites during the middle of winter when you're simply just wasting your time? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that first ice and last ice is the only time while ice fishing for white is worth while. There is no secrets out there you don't know, chance of getting a white now is 100% pure luck, not skill.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Why do you people insist on fishing for whites during the middle of winter when you're simply just wasting your time? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that first ice and last ice is the only time while ice fishing for white is worth while. There is no secrets out there you don't know, chance of getting a white now is 100% pure luck, not skill.

ok netsmustang. where's my fillets?

Dace
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
the walleye areas are gunna be crowded this weekend!

Since I release 99.9% of the fish I catch its quantity over species
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post

Of course you don't fish illegally like that anymore, do you.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
ROFLMAO yep ; chances!cid_92C9FF6B9BEB43C593495FBFB0D8EEDE@mine.jpg

!cid_C0A11503D47E4ECBA43177967243D839@mine.jpg

Lake Whitefish Cache Lake 2011 Dec 7 hits 7 fish.jpg

Lake Whitefish Jan 2012.jpg

Lake Whites dec 31 2011.jpgnice white 5lbs 15oz.jpg

Nice catch Lake Whites and Pike.jpg are what?

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-17-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Hey I read that those whites from Jarvis and Gregg lake have Tape Worms... did you see any in those you caught???

Brandon
Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Hey I read that those whites from Jarvis and Gregg lake have Tape Worms... did you see any in those you caught???

Brandon
nope not in the ones i filleted.. and it is not a tape worm LMAO if they have any they do not affect humans WOW misinformed people.. ps if you hold a fillet up to lite you can see if there are any there and calmly cut it out .. the whitefish are just AWESOME to eat.. breaded and fry MMMMMMM but hey don,t come fishing more for us

Ask your local Fishery Bio

Food for Thought
David