Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Fork Lake- Sat Feb. 4

I met my nephew and one of his friends at my folks cabin early Saturday morning and after a brief discussion of which lake to go to we decided to try Fork. One of my folks neighbors was kind enough to let use use his shack. We managed to catch quite a few small perch ( most went back down the hole to grow) and several small pike but nothing to get too excited about. It was a very good day; great weather, lots of laughs and at the end of fishing we had enough for a small fish fry.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...038473991small
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (45.0 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (39.9 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 016.jpg (27.8 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 018.jpg (62.1 KB, 329 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM

nice pics
Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Way to go on Fork. I have a cabin there and haven't caught a perch in ten years in the summer. Haven't tried in the winter for even longer. Always lots of little jack there though .
Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Haha that's my grandparents ice shack! Random!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Small World. Glad you had a great day
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM

I haven't been to fork lake in more than 15 years. Used to be a great fishery.... At least that's how I remembered it as a kid. I heard it has gone downhill since the last time I was there. Too bad

Glad to hear you had a good day
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM

We were catching some really nice perch a few years ago but last year and this year so far haven't had much luck with perch. About six years ago while we were ice fishing someone was on shore watching us with binoculars then we heard someone on some sort intercom saying the fish cops were coming. Then there was some sort of buzzing or alarm going off... the strangest afternoon of ice fishing i have ever had.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

It's sad what has happened to Fork... used to be great for pike and perch. My kids learned to fish there, I taught my neighbors kids. One pound plus perch were frequent, and not unusual to catch 6-8 pound pike.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 PM

I remember the same thing for fork lake. my grandparents have sent me some pictures from this year and they had some decent days. Maybe it will start to pick up again over the next years.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGrrrl View Post

Small World. Glad you had a great day
That is cool! Your granddad is a very, very generous guy and a great neighbor. He has also let us fly fish off his dock a number of times. We built my folks cabin up there several years ago ( four or five lots down from your grand parents place) and they always enjoy visiting with your granddad.
My nephew, the fuzzy faced one in camo loves to spend as much time up there as possible with his Pop (granddad) hunting and fishing.
Yes, the fishing has not been as good as it used to be. Sad story for many lakes up there and others in our fine province.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Ya I also grew up Fishing Fork Lake when i was young the fishing was Awsome now its pretty slow but I still head upto my Parents Cabin from time to time a drop a line just to see if its starting to come around like the old days
Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM

Sounds like we all have the same story of the good old days on Fork Lake. I remember the same thing too. I was just a young lad but man the perch fishing was good back then.
What happened to the lake, winter kill, over fished?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 AM

Probly over fished. I think they should close all lakes for a year or two. Open for one and close again for another year or two. JMO. Would save me lots of money in turn.
Is that you in the pic fishergrrrl ?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM

"Probly over fished. I think they should close all lakes for a year or two. Open for one and close again for another year or two. JMO. "

In the case of Fork Lake it's a bit more complicated than over fishing. The lake has lost a dramatic amount of water. This has lead to the normal spawning areas being in-accessible as well as unlocking a large amount of nutrients which has made the algae/ weed problem worse.

When a lake which is relatively shallow, like Fork, gets to a certain level wind and waves can bring up allot of phosphorus etc. from the sediments. This lead to the large blooms of weeds and algae. When these blooms die oxygen levels drop and consequently stress fish.

Some others that have cabins on the lake believe that some change, due to road construction or oil and gas development, has made a change in the "normal" aquifer for the lake. For those that do not know Fork lake is primarily fed by springs.

It’s more complicated than this yet if but I think it gives one a bit of a start on why fishing is not the same on Fork Lake today as compared to yester year

Cheers

Cube
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM

That is definitely Richards shack! Is Sandy your mom Fishergrrl? You sure look like her.
I use to fish Fork Lake every weekend when I was a kid. It was nothing to pull up 100 perch in a day. ****! I caught big perch trolling for Jacks before. Now that the water levels went down and the fish started to dissipate, only thing I do on that lake now is ski.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
"Probly over fished. I think they should close all lakes for a year or two. Open for one and close again for another year or two. JMO. "

In the case of Fork Lake it's a bit more complicated than over fishing. The lake has lost a dramatic amount of water. This has lead to the normal spawning areas being in-accessible as well as unlocking a large amount of nutrients which has made the algae/ weed problem worse.

When a lake which is relatively shallow, like Fork, gets to a certain level wind and waves can bring up allot of phosphorus etc. from the sediments. This lead to the large blooms of weeds and algae. When these blooms die oxygen levels drop and consequently stress fish.

Some others that have cabins on the lake believe that some change, due to road construction or oil and gas development, has made a change in the "normal" aquifer for the lake. For those that do not know Fork lake is primarily fed by springs.

It’s more complicated than this yet if but I think it gives one a bit of a start on why fishing is not the same on Fork Lake today as compared to yester year

Cheers

Cube
Cube,

You're right on the money in my opinion. Many lakes up there have seen 15-20 years of drought and lake levels have dropped drastically in many cases. I believe this to be the major reason, along with other contributing factors, fishing is less than stellar compared to years ago.

stan
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM

http://www.alms.ca/DwnldDocs/LakeWat.../Fork%2005.pdf for those of you who enjoy getting your nerd on.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Probly over fished. I think they should close all lakes for a year or two. Open for one and close again for another year or two. JMO. Would save me lots of money in turn.
Is that you in the pic fishergrrrl ?
ya. that was this last boxing day, went out with all the family for christmas.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oueljust View Post
That is definitely Richards shack! Is Sandy your mom Fishergrrl? You sure look like her.
I use to fish Fork Lake every weekend when I was a kid. It was nothing to pull up 100 perch in a day. ****! I caught big perch trolling for Jacks before. Now that the water levels went down and the fish started to dissipate, only thing I do on that lake now is ski.
No not Sandy. Do you know Heather? Im going up there on the 16th weekend to visit and fish. Even if the fish arent biting the shack and sleds and sidebysides make for an awesome day out there. Plus over boxing day I got to try out the Marcum620 and got to play with tiny perch, caught a couple decent pike, and saw about three whities too.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks Levy.
The Lake has dropped many feet since the last sampling date in the report as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM

What subdivision are you guys in ? We have a cabin at Bennet beach. My wife's great grandparents owned some of that land many years ago. Part of the old log home is still there. When my mother in law was a kid they use to take the train up that way and the rest of the way with horse and wagon.
I have been going there for over 20 years and the water level has dropped quite a bit ,when my wife was little it was right up to the bank below the cabin.
Salty
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
http://www.alms.ca/DwnldDocs/LakeWat.../Fork%2005.pdf for those of you who enjoy getting your nerd on.
Thanx for posting this link. Interesting read.

Salty,

We're in Bennett beach development as well. I'm pretty sure my folks bought one of the last few undeveloped lots from one of the Bennetts' eight or nine years ago.
When I was knee high to a grasshopper (forty plus years ago) we took many trips up that way to fish Ironwood and other surrounding lakes. Not much pavement in that neck of the woods back then and much better fishing.
stan
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned

Yes, the water level has been dropping for 30 years.... who remembers the overflow at the campground? There used to be a waterfall there running into the creek.

When we first went up there there was only about 25 feet of beach at the campground. I don't even want to think about it now.

Sad.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Fork lake sure does bring back some good memories as a kid. Beautiful beach and swimming area, could walk for a mile in the water and not step on a rock.

I caught my biggest perch to date there, 1lb 15oz. Also remember catching a pike on every cast. Great times were had there on the water and around the campfire...

Great pic's and stories btw