Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Muskiki Cutthroats

Went to Muskiki yesterday with Matt ..which was his first time fishing cutthroats he did well with 7.. I got five which we released ..no Brook Trout

Matt was such a great worker for the Hinton Fish and Game Gun Range improvements that I had to take him fishing for a half day .. any guy that will work so hard he had blisters on his hands deserves a day off..

he and I had a great time with a few deer and a small Black Bear on the roads and the osprey and 2 chicks this year in nest,,, the loons serenading us

David

Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Love the pix Speckle.

What burns me is when the loon pops up beside the boat with a fish twice the size that a person has just caught.

Say hello to my smallboy buds.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM

yep one followed us around and the osprey want to swoop down and take Matts fish .. lmao

Small Boys/Roans are doing good

We stopped in and took a look at Thunder(pic's) and its level is up a bit

David

Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Nice fish!! Thank you for recognizing the work done bye volunteer's. And props to Matt for his hard work. I am jealous off the sights and sounds that make those trips so memorable , not to mention them beautiful cutthroat's
Red Neck Out
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
yep one followed us around and the osprey want to swoop down and take Matts fish .. lmao

Small Boys/Roans are doing good

We stopped in and took a look at Thunder(pic's) and its level is up a bit

David

dave
they are talking about restocking thunder this year first time in 4 years
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info .. and yep it looks good now

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
dave
they are talking about restocking thunder this year first time in 4 years
Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Hey guys:

Who is Matt?

Sounds like he helps us folks out quite a bit.

Anyways, thanks Matt.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info .. and yep it looks good now

David
I was out there a month ago and that is what fish and feathers said, the water level is high enough now

did you catch anything bigger then 15 inchs...i caught a few with net marks on them i wonder actually now who is netting this lake in the winter
Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I was out there a month ago and that is what fish and feathers said, the water level is high enough now

did you catch anything bigger then 15 inchs...i caught a few with net marks on them i wonder actually now who is netting this lake in the winter
I was there ice fishing and didn't see any marks of netting holes.. I did some post on here

David
Old 08-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I was there ice fishing and didn't see any marks of netting holes.. I did some post on here

David

then the nets must have been put in the spring in open water, as i caught 2 fish that had net marks on them and they were small enough that they got themselfs out where the bigger fish arn't.......i was out a month ago david and i caught over 30 fish..never counted ....in about 5 hours and never marked or caught a fish over 15 inchs
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned

Default netting

On the same topic in the same area I have come across nets in the Cardinal over the years.

I have taken them piled them and burnt them.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Just so everyone knows. The ongoing pillaging of muskiki is done in the outlet creek in the spring when the cutthroat go in to spawn. A certain band feels entitled to be able to abuse our stocked fisheries, that our tax dollars pay for. Muskiki never had native fish in the first place!

There has been many problems with muskiki in the past. Friends have witnessed the band pitchforking fish off the redds early in the spring for a long time now. Have heard a local from the area used to set bait lines across the lake and keep everything he could.

Frustrating to say the least.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM

I did mark a huge fish and marked others yesterday and saw in the winter 3 lb plus cutthroats in winter(had on for a few seconds lmao) and had my partner saw a 5# plus cutthroat... one of the guys fishing in the spring said he saw lots of dead big 3# cutthroats 2 years ago a AO member he ph me .. if I saw a net I would pull and take to Chief Roan if I saw a dead line I would put a camera on it but hey that's me..

but hey I saw a boat take 6 9 inches have lunch and put another 3 on stringer at front of boat and other on shore take small ones and have seen others using minnows ice fishing.. also camped there a week and saw others using bait ..

just so every one knows they only put in 2500 in every 2 years

David
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM

So I go to work for a couple of days and you guys goof off. Get back to work.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM

lmao .. how's the concert coming .. watch for Amber

Bryan was sick today boss man ..

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
So I go to work for a couple of days and you guys goof off. Get back to work.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I did mark a huge fish and marked others yesterday and saw in the winter 3 lb plus cutthroats in winter(had on for a few seconds lmao) and had my partner saw a 5# plus cutthroat... one of the guys fishing in the spring said he saw lots of dead big 3# cutthroats 2 years ago a AO member he ph me .. if I saw a net I would pull and take to Chief Roan if I saw a dead line I would put a camera on it but hey that's me..

but hey I saw a boat take 6 9 inches have lunch and put another 3 on stringer at front of boat and other on shore take small ones and have seen others using minnows ice fishing.. also camped there a week and saw others using bait ..

just so every one knows they only put in 2500 in every 2 years

David
ooopppss its 12000 stocked now every 2 years

but George(bio) said they have about 30 % die off per year .. so the 1st year 3600 die of natural causes so 3 yrs later you have 4000 left ..

not sure if the osprey is in those figures 3 fish to nest in 1 hr 2 chicks by one parent

also we just caught and released 12 fish so approx. 3.6 fish(at 30%) or more would die within a week/maybe less if we handled properly( in Germany and Switzerland C&R is classed inhumane and now banned)

with the numbers of fish taken per year illegal fishing by Anglers

add in the number taken Legal

hhhmmm not many left that will make 3 years old

Food for Thought

David
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
ooopppss its 12000 stocked now every 2 years

but George(bio) said they have about 30 % die off per year .. so the 1st year 3600 die of natural causes so 3 yrs later you have 4000 left ..

not sure if the osprey is in those figures 3 fish to nest in 1 hr 2 chicks by one parent

also we just caught and released 12 fish so approx. 3.6 fish(at 30%) or more would die within a week/maybe less if we handled properly( in Germany and Switzerland C&R is classed inhumane and now banned)

with the numbers of fish taken per year illegal fishing by Anglers

add in the number taken Legal

hhhmmm not many left that will make 3 years old

Food for Thought

David
David I'm not disputing your numbers lets just look at a different way
They use to stock 2500 every 2 years but I was catching lots of fish and in the 20 inch range
When there were stocking brookies I was catching 19 inchers and in good number so why would 30 percent all of a sudden become a problem to catch a 19 inch fish
Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 AM

Fishman

I just look at it as it is ...most lakes I fish they don't give up big fish to every angler if they did they would be none in minutes .. each lake has its secrets and if you break the code then wow you can have great fishing .. in my notes some lakes gave up the bigger fish for only 2 weeks a year others for a month .. some of the lakes I fish now are the same... there is a time when they are better but as always they can still give up a big fish at any time

example of what I like

Rainbows best Fall right before weeds die in fall
Pike Pre spawn Mar April
Perch Pre Spawn same
Brook Trout ice out June mountains
River fishing
Rocky Mountain Whitefish Aug to Oct
Grayling some June runs and Fall Sept
Bull Trout April May
Brown Trout end if June first 2 weeks July

Ps I was seeing most fish on finder at 20 to 35fow .. one buddy had to go to 20 to 25 fow to catch trout the other day he would slow right down almost do a count down then hit the gas

not saying anything but 10% of fishermen catch 90% of fish

here is a 20 inch Brookie last year
and my buddy was there the week before and got 2 20 inch Brook trout and a 20 inch Cutthroat

how many Anglers fish Muskiki per year?

also I hope that the net thing is only one person but I have never caught any with net marks yet .. yet I have seen Cutthroats with a white fuzz on them and caught them in the summer and winter .. in my opinion I think it may be from handling but not sure..

also fyi I have been the fish chair for my club for 20years so I see when they are caught

No fishing for 4 years then open lots of 18 to 19 inchers for a year or 2 then you have to work for them.. they wise up.. and numbers drop

as always this is just

Food for Thought
David

here is table for Hinton for tomorrow
Thursday Friday Saturday
8/1/2013

Sun Data
Rise: 6:06 AM
Set: 9:45 PM

Day Length
15 hrs. 39 mins.

Moon Data
Rise: 1:42 AM
Set: 6:03 PM
Overhead: 9:52 AM
Underfoot: 10:16 PM

Moon Phase
Solunar Table Moon Phase is 23% percent waning crescent
23%
Waning
Crescent

Major Times
9:52 AM - 11:52 AM
10:16 PM - 12:16 AM

Minor Times
1:42 AM - 2:42 AM
6:03 PM - 7:03 PM

Solunar Rating
Solunar Best Hunting Times and Best Fishing Times Rating is for a Average day of Hunting or Fishing Image
Average+
explanation

Current
Time Zone
Offset
UTC: -6

Quote:
David I'm not disputing your numbers lets just look at a different way
They use to stock 2500 every 2 years but I was catching lots of fish and in the 20 inch range
When there were stocking brookies I was catching 19 inchers and in good number so why would 30 percent all of a sudden become a problem to catch a 19 inch fish

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-02-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Looks like Matt had a well deserved good time. Beautiful area!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Fishman

I just look at it as it is ...most lakes I fish they don't give up big fish to every angler if they did they would be none in minutes .. each lake has its secrets and if you break the code then wow you can have great fishing .. in my notes some lakes gave up the bigger fish for only 2 weeks a year others for a month .. some of the lakes I fish now are the same... there is a time when they are better but as always they can still give up a big fish at any time

example of what I like

Rainbows best Fall right before weeds die in fall
Pike Pre spawn Mar April
Perch Pre Spawn same
Brook Trout ice out June mountains
River fishing
Rocky Mountain Whitefish Aug to Oct
Grayling some June runs and Fall Sept
Bull Trout April May
Brown Trout end if June first 2 weeks July

Ps I was seeing most fish on finder at 20 to 35fow .. one buddy had to go to 20 to 25 fow to catch trout the other day he would slow right down almost do a count down then hit the gas

not saying anything but 10% of fishermen catch 90% of fish

here is a 20 inch Brookie last year
and my buddy was there the week before and got 2 20 inch Brook trout and a 20 inch Cutthroat

how many Anglers fish Muskiki per year?

also I hope that the net thing is only one person but I have never caught any with net marks yet .. yet I have seen Cutthroats with a white fuzz on them and caught them in the summer and winter .. in my opinion I think it may be from handling but not sure..

also fyi I have been the fish chair for my club for 20years so I see when they are caught

No fishing for 4 years then open lots of 18 to 19 inchers for a year or 2 then you have to work for them.. they wise up.. and numbers drop

as always this is just

Food for Thought
David

David

I am not a guy who just started fishing i have been around for a long time, i know this lake very well and have fished it since the eightys ,and fished it lots since the cutts have been put in and no matter how u look at it the lake is not producing the number of big fish it use to and it has nothing to do with my fishing capabilities...........i am telling u from what i have been seeing and talking to others the lake is getting netted..............bottom line
Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 AM

The year before it was stocked with cuts,guessing about 06,we saw a net in the east end at the outlet.It was very short,maybe 30 yds,but it was a net
Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Something to think about - it appears that the larger fish disappeared about the time the cotton candy type stuff started to grow on the bottom (fungus?). Maybe the lake has lost some of its food productivity.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 AM

never noticed the fungus on the bottm....havnt noticed less hatchs and plenty of minnows swimming around
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Hey Fishman and other's take picture's of the nets/net and post please as our local Bio would love to see any as I would

I will start checking the end to see if tracks of humans are there .. most likely in the spring then in spawn for the Cutthroats

what size of mesh did anyone see?

David
http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing...ovettville-ab/

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-02-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM

We walked past the holes that were cut in the ice that had ropes coming out both ends, we did not disturb them. However there was a net another day that was hanging in front of one of the houses in the Village ,comments were made as the mesh was 2" by best estimates.One guy thought the mesh was so small it was a seine net,again very short in overall length.It looked like it was being patched
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Ph George Sterling at 310-0000 area Fish Bio and ask for him or Edson office when you get in cell or home

and take pictures or it never happened as some say

they get lots of stories he said but nothing checks out

my camera is with me most times or we have a cell phone camera

Thanks David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
We walked past the holes that were cut in the ice that had ropes coming out both ends, we did not disturb them. However there was a net another day that was hanging in front of one of the houses in the Village ,comments were made as the mesh was 2" by best estimates.One guy thought the mesh was so small it was a seine net,again very short in overall length.It looked like it was being patched
Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 PM

I'm back in town. 3 hours sleep in 3 days, only getting paid for 12 hours, life is too short. This company makes the company I was working with at the Wild Mountain Music Festival look super good. I've never seen so much lack of respect, both to the employees and towards the customers in 40+ years of doing business. I may see you before I head to the coast, but I'm back on night shift at HTC.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 PM

k .. Matt was out today and said he has about 3 more days .. he also broke his dads rake so I got one today for him

if you have any time lets hit up Muskiki .. bring those flies and pick some up when in BC.. nothing showing in 40 fow plus

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
I'm back in town. 3 hours sleep in 3 days, only getting paid for 12 hours, life is too short. This company makes the company I was working with at the Wild Mountain Music Festival look super good. I've never seen so much lack of respect, both to the employees and towards the customers in 40+ years of doing business. I may see you before I head to the coast, but I'm back on night shift at HTC.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Ph George Sterling at 310-0000 area Fish Bio and ask for him or Edson office when you get in cell or home

and take pictures or it never happened as some say

they get lots of stories he said but nothing checks out

my camera is with me most times or we have a cell phone camera

Thanks David
Whats the biologist going to do with pic's of a net in the lake?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 AM

The government wont ever do anything in these types of scenarios. Its too much of a gongshow with the land "users".