Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Default Pike Fishing around Calgary without boat

I know this is probably something everyone wants to know. Is there anyone that could suggest a good place? I used to go to Pine Lake when I was younger and would love to go there but it seems like all of the campgrounds are all seasonal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM

there are pike in Glenmore but they are hard to catch right now - I believe that you can rent a canoe at the canoe club - good luck
Old 07-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Problem right now is the heat, The Pike are deeper in the water right now, A couple weekends ago I was walking my GSD at Chestermere Lake and some guy fishing the canal inlet on the SE side of the lake caught a nice 22" Pike, I threw my rod in for a few and got severely snagged in the rocks and lost my Len Thompson Five of Diamonds Might try fishing from my Kayak in the lake and see how I fare!

Perch: 00

Pike: 01

Rainbow Trout: 00

Sucker: 00

Walleye: 00
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM

In glen more reservoir there are Pike??? I have never even thought about fishing in there! Thanks for the tip
Old 07-21-2015, 05:31 PM

I have fished chestermere lake before but have never seen anything that big! I will have to make another trip there and try it out
Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM

My question is... Why would anyone target pike in Calgary when there's a world class trout fishery literally at your doorstep?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
My question is... Why would anyone target pike in Calgary when there's a world class trout fishery literally at your doorstep?
Why not? Yes we do have a world class fishery at our doorstep, they are pound for pound one of the best fighting fish.

That said I love catching all types of fish and enjoy the different challenges each species provides. What a boring world it would be if we only had trout and no other fish!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Why not? Yes we do have a world class fishery at our doorstep, they are pound for pound one of the best fighting fish.

That said I love catching all types of fish and enjoy the different challenges each species provides. What a boring world it would be if we only had trout and no other fish!
My thoughts exactly! I'm looking for the fight that comes with the pike!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post

Ahhh a little tongue in cheek here boys. We have nothing but pike in these potholes up here. Love the Bow!!! Maybe a hair jealous here
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ahhh a little tongue in cheek here boys. We have nothing but pike in these potholes up here. Love the Bow!!! Maybe a hair jealous here
Fair enough wildwoods, sounds like a trip South may be in order...fix that trout itch!!!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Being relatively new to pike (AB) fishing, I have to say bringing them in on my trout gear (7' light spinning setup) is a blast. They fight hard but seem to tire fast, although the last time out I had one make 3 or 4 good runs from my canoe when I got it close, usually it's just one or two then it's just bringing the weight in.

Compared to similar sized salmon or trout, pike to me is more like a ling cod - very hard pullback at the start then it tapers off fast. A salmon or steelhead (especially steelhead) in my experience have a lot more stamina and are capable of making the reel scream just when you think you've got them beat.

I've never really fished for bigger trout like laker's (which is technically a char I think) so I don't know if they're comparable or not..