Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Lac sante

Hi I'm heading up to a buddys cabin tomorrow for an overnight trip. I believe he is at pelican bay. I'm bringing my kayak out there and wondering what kind of fishing I can get into? Any gear that I need will be considered as well. So basically whether it's for burbot, walleye, pike, or perch I just wanna catch some fish out there!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 PM

There are only burbot in there good luck getting one in summer if you do let me know for sure I tried for a whole day and the fish finder was going nuts but couldn't get a bite for the life of me. Didn't try night fishing it yet though
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumBarMan View Post
There are only burbot in there good luck getting one in summer if you do let me know for sure I tried for a whole day and the fish finder was going nuts but couldn't get a bite for the life of me. Didn't try night fishing it yet though
There is northern pike in there for sure as well as burbot, the regs say there is some other species but I have yet to see, I have only ice fished but from what I hear if you catch a fish there in the summer you would have to be some sort of god!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 PM

The alkaline levels have risen too high to sustain pike, walleye, etc. only the burbot can survive there these days. 25 years ago used to be a good lake and over the past 15 yrs the pike and walleye slowly died off to the point of non existence. Very doubtful there's any pike left if you're super lucky maybe a 20 yr old monster still lurking but highly doubtful
Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Have caught two northern pike outta there in summer a couple years back one 26" the other 38" seen lots of others follow my lures in fish are extremely Skittish
Old 08-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Banned

I got a 40 inch pike 2 winters ago from there. Released. Was fine and healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumBarMan View Post
The alkaline levels have risen too high to sustain pike, walleye, etc. only the burbot can survive there these days. 25 years ago used to be a good lake and over the past 15 yrs the pike and walleye slowly died off to the point of non existence. Very doubtful there's any pike left if you're super lucky maybe a 20 yr old monster still lurking but highly doubtful
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM

So I'm curious how'd you make out?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM

Headed back to give it another shot and caught a burb this evening!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 PM

Nice one
Old 09-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Thanks man I'm the first one I've heard of who's managed to catch a burb at this lake this summer.. Caught at 6:55 PM yesterday.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM

My uncles lived on stang crescent in pelican bay since before i been alive and ive fished there every year ..i gotta say the lake seems to be doomed ...used to have some really nice fish in it pike perch whites and walleye but havent seen anything but burbs in 5 yrs or so and the burbot are literaly depleted to the point where the bigger ones are the ones that werent keepers last year ..dont get me wrong there are some real nice burbot left but compared to back then the average burbot is less than half the size it used to be probly cuz of the pressure it gets in march just my thought its never been as busy as it has been the last cpl yrs ...they all get together to spawn in march in the one spot and thousands of fish are kept in a two week period from there..youll catch 100 burbot a day in the right spot on the right day easily....