Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Princecraft boat question

Hi all. Anyone know why the Princecraft boats have the stern that drops down on the sides? Looking for a new boat and researching them all.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Good way to have to buy a motor mount if you ever want to mount a kicker motor for sure.

Unless they feel it will allow water to easily flow back out rather than go into the bilge, makes no sense to me.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:31 PM

I often pondered that - but if you look at other boats - the transom where the motors are mounted is lower than the sides anyways. I assume it's just a design differentiation maneuver (to make them look different).

I don't see a big deal unless you get some waves coming in from the sides and slopping up and over the corners AND it would make mounting a splash guard a little more work.

I found the prince craft to be a pretty good boat in terms of quality.

Besides all the marketing everyone looks at and uses in their brochures like hull thickness, double rivets, cross member framing and design, reverse chines, lifting strakes, etc... which are important, I suggest you also look at ....

1) The quality of the trailer
2) Led lights?
3) Marker lamps
4) Size of tire
5) Radial Tires?
6) grommets, shielding, design, placement on wire where the swing tongue comes through
7) Height of windshield
8) Quality of Bimini top - material and poles as well as hardware
9) Quality of travel cover
10) Degree of hull and height from inside of floor compared to water level
11) Quality of latches, how many lock, how are the hinges and lids attached and how much storage there is
12) Quality of carpet and vinyl flooring and covers
13) Seats and quality of base
14) Location of AUX plugs (trolling motors and riggers)
15) type of batteries
16) fuse block and wiring harness
17) Hydraulic, Power or manual steering
18) Transom height
19) quality of mooring hooks
20) quality of bunks on trailer, how many, what width
21) Quantity of bilge pumps and rating
22) Flotation and weight rating (people and capacity)
23) Max HP rating
24) Size of fuel tank
25) Adjustable brackets for rod holders or tools?
26) Width and comfort of boat for what you are likely to use it for
27) Quality of glove boxes, cup holders, and other stuff you use
28) Livewell(s) what type, how big, what type of aeration
29) Service department
30) Warranty

There's probably a dozen other things I've missed - but look at what you are getting for the money. I say avoid the "package" deals as the motors are often under powered, the electric trolling motor is only 12 v and cheap, the trailer sucks and fish finder they put in there is $100 and is very basic.

Always consider getting the Maximum rated horsepower - I have yet to hear someone regret doing that - yet there are dozens of people who under power the boat and are disappointed in it having to modify the motor with planers, change out the prop etc,...

I ended up getting a Lund. I thought it was the best bang for my buck and would suggest they provide the best quality overall of any major brand of "factory recreational all around" boat out there.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM

I recently purchased a 1999 princecraft with a 130 hrs evenrude. I never really thought about the slope but I think it's just to be different. Has been a great boat. Spent 2 weeks on Kootenay Lake on the water every day. Does 50 k/hr. Galvanized trailer, Live well, Bait well, tons of storage. I been very happy with it
Old 08-25-2015, 04:38 PM

If you were to back troll a lot, it could be an issue. If not, not a real issue.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 PM

Smile

I bought a Princecraft Expedition 170 WS this year and could not be happier. It came with 115 hp Merc and I upgraded trolling motor and sonar. As far as the boat is concerned, it is just as solid as a lund in my opinion. I compared the Princecraft to the Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc. All good boats all have their positives. I got a better deal on the Princecraft.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanner View Post
I bought a Princecraft Expedition 170 WS this year and could not be happier. It came with 115 hp Merc and I upgraded trolling motor and sonar. As far as the boat is concerned, it is just as solid as a lund in my opinion. I compared the Princecraft to the Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc. All good boats all have their positives. I got a better deal on the Princecraft.
I just bought the same boat but it's a 2012, it came with the 24 volt trolling motor 2 sonars and the towing package. I love it
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 AM

I have a 2013 Princecraft Holiday DLX WS. Great boat, stable well built and does everything I need it to do. I did a lot of shopping around when looking to buy and it was the best boat dollar for dollar when compared to other options.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gunner View Post
I just bought the same boat but it's a 2012, it came with the 24 volt trolling motor 2 sonars and the towing package. I love it
I just picked up a new 2013 with the upgrades as well. So far really liking it.
What pitch prop are you guys running on the 170 xpeditions.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanner View Post
Have the same, love my boat. There would be no issue mounting a kicker either. The transom across the stern is flat, and i have seen them with kickers mounted so it is totally do- able!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
I have a 2013 Princecraft Holiday DLX WS. Great boat, stable well built and does everything I need it to do. I did a lot of shopping around when looking to buy and it was the best boat dollar for dollar when compared to other options.
I found this as well! No hidden BS to worry about, nice tops and covers, batteries included. Was looking at smokercrafts, and NOTHing came with the base price.. Not even batteries..lol