Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Long Shot (red deer river fishing location)

Hi Guys/Gals,

New to the forum and been enjoying the great tips and pictures of the beautiful catches some of you guys have been putting up!

So here is a long shot but my Dad and uncle used to take me to a spot along Red Deer River when i was about 10-12 years old (about 20 years ago) and i'm sure it was somewhere along the C&E trail heading out west of 32nd street in red deer. The spot was fantastic for catching white fish! sometimes 2-3 fish on your line on 1 cast! the spot had a bunch of cement pads that were laid and broken up (possibly an old boat launch?) The river had come around the cement pads and had made a swirling pool that the fish were in extreme quantities. Does any one by chance know where i'm speaking of and could possibly give me a bit of directions to get there? My dad passed away about 10 years ago so I can't ask him and do not have contact with my uncle anymore. If need be you can PM me to preserve the spot if this happens to be your local hot spot and I can assure you that it will just be me and possibly a young friend of mine who does not have anyone else to take him fishing. We are very clean and would not harm the spot in any way. Thank you for any help or guidance that you may be able to give. Cheers and happy fishing
Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 AM

I also know that with the floods that have come through over the past 10-12 years may have washed the spot away but here's hoping that it hasn't!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 PM

The only place that I can recall, is at three mile bend. Very popular fishing spot.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM

I have been down to 3 mile bend numerous times and it is definitely up stream from the fort normandeau area/ boat launch and for sure on the east side of the river. I figured i may have found it last night off the C&E but it still doesn't look fully correct to me. I will do some more searching this evening and the weekend to see if i can find it. Thinking that it may even be a bit south from the Penhold bridge. Thank you for your ideas tho Yaha! Cheers.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 PM

i think the place you might be thinking is just before the Red Deer Golf and Country Club off of KerryWood and Fountain Drive maybe???
Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM

There's a bunch of cement pads on the bank of the river a few minuted walk downstream of Fort Normandeau, and Normandeu is just of C&E trail. I've fished this place a lot and it sounds very similar to the place you are describing.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM

Awesome thanks guys! Appreciate all the help! looks like i'm going scouting again tonight as the weekend just didn't have enough hours in it.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 AM

I know exactly where you're thinking of! If you go to three mile bend and drive down the road you come in on, when you reach the end there will be a hole in the trees. Walk into it and there is a trail that takes you downstream. If you follow it you will reach a bunch of destroyed cement pads. There are a bunch of eddies and whirlpools around that area. Great for fishing!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluke1 View Post
I know exactly where you're thinking of! If you go to three mile bend and drive down the road you come in on, when you reach the end there will be a hole in the trees. Walk into it and there is a trail that takes you downstream. If you follow it you will reach a bunch of destroyed cement pads. There are a bunch of eddies and whirlpools around that area. Great for fishing!
Excellent! Thank you for the tip. I know for certain that the fishing spot that i am thinking of is definitely on the east side of the river but i will check out the one you describe as well! Cheers!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM

So how do you get to that spot near 3 mile bend?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Goldeye are not white fish....ha ha