Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Default Best way to sell a house full of high end furniture???

A very close friend of mine has just relocated to LA for business. Tonight he accepted an offer on his home which was one of these lottery homes which the winners sold rather than moving into. It is a big, swanky shack that is full of designer furniture and decorations. He had the place listed "as furnished", but the buyers didn't want it. He is not here and needs me to get rid of this stuff for him. He doesn't want people traipsing through his place either. How would you guys suggest going about this? I'm all ears.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Might be a long shot, but if it was a recent lottery show home, find out which interior design firm provided the furniture. Give them a call and see if they are interested in purchasing the furniture back for staging homes, etc. Would assume they would buy it back heavily discounted, but would minimize craziness.

Alternately, phone an interior design firm or two and see if they would be interested.

Who knows?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Dibbs

Dibbs! Kidding of course, unless....

An auction house or a storage locker and some patience with Kijiji and there would be some money to be made there.

Also maybe a staging company for Real Estate may take to entire thing off your hands.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Donated

Could also be donated. Shelters are always looking for furniture in good condition.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A very close friend of mine has just relocated to LA for business. Tonight he accepted an offer on his home which was one of these lottery homes which the winners sold rather than moving into. It is a big, swanky shack that is full of designer furniture and decorations. He had the place listed "as furnished", but the buyers didn't want it. He is not here and needs me to get rid of this stuff for him. He doesn't want people traipsing through his place either. How would you guys suggest going about this? I'm all ears.
What city?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Edmonton

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM

I'd go the auction route with things. I know of an auction that receives a fair amount of showhome furniture after the builders are done with it. It's surprising how many people over bid on these items. You will pay a bit of a seller's fee to them but it's probably the easiest way to offload a lot of furniture all at once.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 PM

I’m looking for some barstools (dark espresso colour), and maybe some new couches lol. Send me a message if you’d like
Old 01-09-2018, 11:36 PM

I would call a few auction guys and see if anyone is willing to pick everything up and take care of it all. Unless you have a lot of spare time and storage space in which case selling yourself could make some decent money. Ideally your looking for someone to just come and deal with it. Sounds like a job for the liquidator! Haha sorry I can’t be more of a help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 PM

id suggest calling martin meier
he runs meier auctions, great guy to deal with. makes the process easier

he'll do the pick up and everything

or let me know what you have !!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM

The only way to get top dollar is to sell it yourself. Put up some "estate sale" signs and make sure people take off their shoes before they traipse all over the place. Auctions "might" get you 25% of new price
Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 AM

From what I read, sns is trying to get rid of the furniture the quickest and easiest way possible, not looking for top dollar. So in that instance, I would call up a couple local used furniture stores that sell similar quality items and the auction house. Find one you like that will get you a fair deal given the circumstances. Stuff gone, problem solved. Most will even move the furniture for you and you wont have to have a bunch of people in and about the house.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Most show home furniture isnt as high end as people think. One of the lottery homes was full of donated items from businesses.

I would be wary of the auctions that sell show home furniture as most of it is cheap garbage.

Not saying thats the case here but just because it was in a show home doesnt mean its good quality.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Action Houses in Edmonton are full and not accepting any more furniture. I had some office furniture and a bunch of household stuff to get rid off and not one place I call 2 months ago was interested it. I had no luck on Kijiji so everything went to the city dump.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
Most show home furniture isnt as high end as people think. One of the lottery homes was full of donated items from businesses.

I would be wary of the auctions that sell show home furniture as most of it is cheap garbage.

Not saying thats the case here but just because it was in a show home doesnt mean its good quality.
That is definitely not the case here, but at the same time he is not going to get value whatever route he goes.

I also find that wealthy people tend to overvalue their stuff more than us average joes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM

It depends on how much you want to contribute time wise.

I have worked with a gal in Calgary that does estate liquidations. Her team prices all the items, (using appraisers as required), arranges items, advertises (her list of buyers numbers over 3000), man’s the sales, cleans up afterwards, and disposed of unwanted, unsold items. A reasonable commission for a ton of work.

My daughter does it now, but I had maintained this gals mailing list for years. Prior to sale day(s) the mailer would go out and guaranteed a line up a block long when the doors opened.

If you consider this route, check references, and remember that commissions are negotiable.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is definitely not the case here, but at the same time he is not going to get value whatever route he goes.

I also find that wealthy people tend to overvalue their stuff more than us average joes
I'm constantly bombarded by kastners auctions in edmonton mentioning show home furniture. If you go the route of an auction they seem to have one a month thats heavily advertised for this exact product.

The people attending that one love to pay higher then retail on so many items.... easily priced electronics would go for full retail.

They are just off yellow head trail in west edmonton.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
It depends on how much you want to contribute time wise.

I have worked with a gal in Calgary that does estate liquidations. Her team prices all the items, (using appraisers as required), arranges items, advertises (her list of buyers numbers over 3000), man’s the sales, cleans up afterwards, and disposed of unwanted, unsold items. A reasonable commission for a ton of work.

My daughter does it now, but I had maintained this gals mailing list for years. Prior to sale day(s) the mailer would go out and guaranteed a line up a block long when the doors opened.

If you consider this route, check references, and remember that commissions are negotiable.
What was the name of the company this gal ran in calgary? I have to similiarly empty my fatherinlaws place;he recently passed away
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 AM

Do you have a list of the inventory with pictures? I might be interested in the entire lot.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20shadow05 View Post
Might be a long shot, but if it was a recent lottery show home, find out which interior design firm provided the furniture. Give them a call and see if they are interested in purchasing the furniture back for staging homes, etc. Would assume they would buy it back heavily discounted, but would minimize craziness.

Alternately, phone an interior design firm or two and see if they would be interested.

Who knows?
This^

My sister owns a small high end furniture store in St.Albert that supply's some show homes and lottery homes with furniture.
I believe her store has bought it back from people in the past.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 PM

delete
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 AM

It does not happen to have a 6x12 snooker table in it ?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Taste is a factor as well, just because you like it doesn't mean anyone else will .

Grizz
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 AM

I hired an auction company to come in. They did all the work. He got all the money. Nothing was left, not even a fork. He was not happy with the money, but what did he expect. It's an auction.