Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Go to this site http://www.killroys.com/articles/articles.htm

i think this is a decent write up on how to become a decent flyfisherman in general.
second- visit flyfishcalgary.com they a have a write up on nymphing that is a big help.

if thoes both dont work, then i will be fishing the bow like crazy when i get back at the end of this month and would be willing to meet up with someone and give them pointers. just shoot me a pm
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Ericlin, was it Glenmore brigde or Crowchild bridge ? The only Glenmore bridge I found on the map was the bridge across Glenmore reservoir
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otdrsmn View Post
Ericlin, was it Glenmore brigde or Crowchild bridge ? The only Glenmore bridge I found on the map was the bridge across Glenmore reservoir
park right here.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...29.89,,0,21.67
Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 AM

Its known as the graves bridge
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks Ericlin !
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Default try the bow again

I'm with Horton. I've been out three times and skunked at fish creek.
I have used the SJW tactic, but still no bites.
Not enough weight? too much weight? Strike indicator too high? I have changed them all and still nothing Perhpas wrong time of day ( 10:30-15:00 )

I think I will try tomorrow at fish creek and hopefully my fate will change.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 PM

the bow is definitly a tough river to learn how to fish.

here are a few hints i can give

1 if you arent catching bottom every two casts then you are not fishing deep / heavy enough. i usually tye san juans with a heavy gauge wire then use a bead head nymph as a dropper fly.

2 strike at anything! its not like bobber fishing where the indicator will always dip under. any slight hesitation can be a fish.

3 pay particular attention at the end of your drift, when your fly starts to rise from the river bed it imitates a nymph rising to the surface and the majority of your strikes will happen here.

4 spend a day (or week) learning how to mend your line properly. this is essential in getting long natural drifts.

5 just cause the bow is a larger river dosent mean you just wade in and start casting. treat it just like a smaller creek and approach each hole carfully. i dont know how many times i have just crashed into a hole just to see a 24inch brown bolt out of the shadows into the deep.
spend time looking at the river and determine the seams holes the eye of the hole and the shelves.

there are alot of fish to be caught right along the banks.

i met a old guy out there once and i asked him for a few tips, all he said was "cast cast, cast again" 4 casts later i hook into a large bow that spit the hook after ten seconds. just keep trying.....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks Superspud... I'll give it a try again tomorrow. I think I was not deep (heavy enough) as I did not really skim the bottom.

Thanks for the tips and I will be more patient in approaching the river.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
the bow is definitly a tough river to learn how to fish.

here are a few hints i can give

1 if you arent catching bottom every two casts then you are not fishing deep / heavy enough. i usually tye san juans with a heavy gauge wire then use a bead head nymph as a dropper fly.

2 strike at anything! its not like bobber fishing where the indicator will always dip under. any slight hesitation can be a fish.

3 pay particular attention at the end of your drift, when your fly starts to rise from the river bed it imitates a nymph rising to the surface and the majority of your strikes will happen here.

4 spend a day (or week) learning how to mend your line properly. this is essential in getting long natural drifts.

5 just cause the bow is a larger river dosent mean you just wade in and start casting. treat it just like a smaller creek and approach each hole carfully. i dont know how many times i have just crashed into a hole just to see a 24inch brown bolt out of the shadows into the deep.
spend time looking at the river and determine the seams holes the eye of the hole and the shelves.

there are alot of fish to be caught right along the banks.

i met a old guy out there once and i asked him for a few tips, all he said was "cast cast, cast again" 4 casts later i hook into a large bow that spit the hook after ten seconds. just keep trying.....
nice one.
I always have split shot(s) on my line to get to the bottom quicker.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM

ya i somtimes use split shot when i fish faster current. but i find for ease of casting i just like to use heaveir flys. i find the back cast out of the water is easier since there is less drage. each to there own though