Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Unhappy Cypress Hills Hunt?

I just finished reading the Draws summary report,and noticed that the number of hunters per hunt had been reduced dramatically. All hunts have been cut back to less that half of what there once were. Are they relocating elk ,elk numbers low.Anyone know why?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 AM

As I understand it this springs count was way lower than expected. so they reduced the numbers, there was some controversy to if the elk were down or just miss counted.

One new twist is a thriving couger population, but they mostly take mule deer
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Cougar Pop.?

How many cougar have been spotted in the cypress hills?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 AM

I have heard that they believe there are between 9 and 13 cougars but with all the sightings this year I think it is much higher. The Elk population is way down. There was a noticeable decrease in numbers from last year. The way it was explained to me is that they have a target population and if it is below that there should be no season. Last year they were at the target and dropped below this year yet they still have the season. Makes ya wonder if the cwd to the north is factoring in.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 PM

I think that has something to do with it. In WMU 118 they were giving mule buck tags with a 0 priority.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:59 PM

I did not seem to notice a shortage of deer, had 3 deer down in a day and a half. Though I do usually see some elk did not this year. Mind you I had spent alot of time head down dragging deer

The story I heard (a friend live next to the park) is that the CO's think it was a miss count, we will see.

I also heard of a mom couger and two kittens getting snared recently.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Cougars

Thats for the info, but I find it hard to believe that cougars could thin out the population so much but then again I know little about cougars!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Last time I was down, three seasons ago, people hunting without tags were thinning the bulls out quite a bit on the SK side.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Deer numbers in the area are down considerably as well. I hunted in 116 hard in november as a guide for my uncle and it was tough to see 40-50 deer in a day. Very few were seen near the park. By southern mulie standards that isnt that great. It was the same in 118. The hoards of tags have really hammered the populations in the last few years. I hope the insane numbers of tags per season lets up and our trophy population comes back.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Haven't been out there last few months. Last Jan., TONS of deer(no monsters), I'd say elk numbers down, I got skunked last Dec., mainly due to weather, one's we saw were moslty in the park.
From what I've heard if they think there's a dozen cougars, they're way low. I actually suspect once spring hits and the urbanite's are out hiking they'll up their count a tad or three.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Although it's in it's infancy I believe a cougar management council has been formed for the Cypress Hills. The tag numbers for elk were reduced because the elk count was about half of where it should be (optimum number of elk would be around 700) I think the count showed in the low 300's. I hope the numbers recover as I enjoy seing the elk there.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapg28 View Post
Thats for the info, but I find it hard to believe that cougars could thin out the population so much but then again I know little about cougars!
A cougar kills for sport and does't always eat what it kills, so yeah they can hurt a population of animals.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Hunted 118 exclusively this year and in IMO deer populations are as good as ever,tons of does and bucks of whitey and muly variety.
Mind you I saw only 1 really nice whitey and no lunker mulies the whole time.
Also saw alot of elk outside the park before deer season started.
Saw the same small herd of mostly bulls 1/2 mile off Eagle Butte Road on 3 different days several weeks apart,even told some hunters one day where they were but the elk were still on the same hill next week!
Had a herd of over 30 run right by me on Fly Lake Road as well......that never happens when I actually have a tag for em.
Draw priorities for the Cypress Hunt are crazy now,to get the 1st or last hunt is gonna take forever.