Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Bore Snake

Sorry if this is the wrong place - I guess guns would be better, but I think more people visit here, as well, most hunters should be doing this anyways.

I just bought a Bore Snake - my question is whether or not you put solvents/solutions on it before running it through. The instructions are silent on the topic - actually the instructions say run through once and you are done.

I find it hard to beleive that I do not need to use the copper solvent or gun oil. Since this is a Hoppes product, I am surprised they would not ask one to put the #9 on some part of the Bore Snake.

Can anyone help me out - can I simply run through once and put the gun away for the year

thanks

Vman
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM

I'm pretty sure my instructions said to pourthe solvent on the top of the snake...then pull it thru.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM

Vman - I think the main purpose of the Bore Snake is to provide a relatively portable and quick method of cleaning in hunting situations. Personally, with the amount of shooting I do, I would not rely on the Bore Snake to clean my firearms for storage. I would, however, use it while I was hunting to remove any dust or debris that might foul the bore. I'm not sure what the composition of the fibres are, but adding solvents or oils might accelerate their breakdown or effectiveness. Hope this helps. Regards, Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM

my instructions say put solvent on the first part..the fuzzy part...and then oil on the end...

and bull shooter....i thought the same...and still do to a point. i did a side by side test with two identical shotguns. cleaned before use by the same person. shot the same amount of shells....and then cleaned with a traditional kit for one and i cleaned mine with my bore snake. i was done in mere minutes. he took a bit longer and mine was spotless....his was too...but took much longer.....but for storage i do use a traditional kit....just to make sure. but i am leaning towards just the bore snake (for the barrel obviously) for my smooth bore guns. i think with a rifled barrel i might see a different result...will have to conduct more tests hahaha
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I should have qualified my statement recognizing the difference between smooth bores and rifled bores... but even then, I might have been hasty in my reply.

I just read an article on the Bore Snake on Chuck Hawkes site, and he is pretty impressed with the results on rifled barrels as well. He claims to use Hoppes solvent and draws the cord through the bore a couple of times and voila... he's done.

Let us know your experience and results. I'm always looking for a faster better method to clean my rifles. My newest love affair is with a product called "Wipe Out". Regards, Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM

will do. i plan some tests this spring while shooting loads of gophers with my .22

i was really shocked at how well it works....and how quick. get one for your stocking......definitely worth it!!

i carry the little kit from wholesale.....has a snake, solvent and oil in a nice little case. rolls up small..easy to take with you in the field.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Wipe Out and the Bore Snake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Shooter View Post
I should have qualified my statement recognizing the difference between smooth bores and rifled bores... but even then, I might have been hasty in my reply.

I just read an article on the Bore Snake on Chuck Hawkes site, and he is pretty impressed with the results on rifled barrels as well. He claims to use Hoppes solvent and draws the cord through the bore a couple of times and voila... he's done.

Let us know your experience and results. I'm always looking for a faster better method to clean my rifles. My newest love affair is with a product called "Wipe Out". Regards, Mike
And for the optimum results, I use both the Bore Snake and Wipe Out - now that is some serious cleaning!

tyee43
Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I gotta agree with Bull Shooter. I have a snake for every cal and bore i own, but they only accompany me on hunts and are carried rolled up in a small zip lock bag in my backpack. I always tape muzzles on rifles while in the field, but on some hunts like sheep hunting, if its been raining for example i remove the tape nightly and give her one pull to remove condensation etc. Dewey rods do all the cleaning around my house.

keep a strain on er.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Thanks

Hi All,

thanks for the information - I will put the solvent on the front and oil and the back and pull through a couple of times (that sounds bad eh! - bahahahahah )

I knew I asked the question in the right place

Once the gun is clean - time to pull out the auger

Seasons Greetings

Vman
Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM

I bought one as well in the right bore for my gun, but I am afraid to pull it through. It seems too tight. How easy should it be to pull through?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM

It won't be easy, highlander...give it a tug !! And once its moving, don't quit.