Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM

Default Tipping at a lodge

I don't want to hijack the previous thread that's up, but I'm looking for some input on tipping at a fly in lodge. The lodge I'm going to includes cabins, all meals, flight in, etc. but is unguided. How much is a reasonable ballpark range to tip at such a location? Everything I see online for lodges discusses the guided locations.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Banned

Depends on the service... how the food is.... how the housekeeping is?? Do they go out of their way for you? Do they keep the firepit stocked, light your fires? I used to guide and run a all inclusive guided lodge. $50 a day was customary per day but some would tip 65-100. I would say $25 per person a day is sufficient if cooking cleaning and everything else is good. You could always just tip 10-15% of your price, some clients did that. Where are you heading?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Banned

I would look at the cleanliness of the Lodge
Quality of meals
"Extras"
Usefulness of the dock hand
Was your room put back together each day
Snacks around
Home baking or packaged cookies
Are they pouring drinks and making your down time more enjoyable

It's all these little things that go into making a tip

If its above what you are expecting $40/day is acceptable below what you are expecting $20

Good luck have a great trip
Jamie
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Default info

Good info guys thanks.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM

always tip no matter where you go
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Keep in mind what province your going to. ... ab sask man and ontario are half price compared to bc lodges and nwt fishing excursions. More money spent on trip usually means more money spent on tip. As said in sask 25 a day for cook per person and 10 for housekeeper was good, $50 per person to guide ( I know your not guided). Depends on if they have dock ppl etc or how many ppl r involved. We had guides, a cook, a housekeeper that was all. Where are you heading?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM

When I was guiding at Great Bear I used to get between 200 and 500 US in a week. A lot of times I put clients on 40 and 50 pound Lake Trout. Its funny you would expect to get something big for a large fish and get stiffed. Then someone who had a poor fishing trip tips you 500 bucks. Those trips at the time were about $3500 a person and tips based on 2 people in the boat.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 PM

I guided and also did all maintenance/dockhand duties at a Walleye/pike lodge in MB for several years. Tips varied hugely. All depends on what staff is there and what they are actually doing. Most groups just left a lump some tip and we split up evenly. When guiding I usually got tipped separately. When not guiding, if I got $50 from a few guys that were there for 4 days I was happy. Pretty sure guests at my lodge tipped low as per average, but wasn't too worried about it, usually.
The guys with deep pockets that have great fishing or catch big fish barely tip it seems. Then some average Joe that saved money for years to be there will give you a great tip when fishing was average. Don't get wealthy giving away money I guess!
I'd say $20 a day per person that actually may have done something for you during your stay should be lots, excluding guide, which you said you won't have.
$20 x 4 staff x 4 days = $320.

Are you tipping from just yourself or also a friend or family member? All depends on how much your trip is costing, your service and what you can afford. As a staff member getting $20 from one guest is a lot different from getting $20 from a group of 4 guests.
Many variables, hope this helps and good luck.

Disco
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
When I was guiding at Great Bear I used to get between 200 and 500 US in a week. A lot of times I put clients on 40 and 50 pound Lake Trout. Its funny you would expect to get something big for a large fish and get stiffed. Then someone who had a poor fishing trip tips you 500 bucks. Those trips at the time were about $3500 a person and tips based on 2 people in the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTime View Post
I guided and also did all maintenance/dockhand duties at a Walleye/pike lodge in MB for several years. Tips varied hugely. All depends on what staff is there and what they are actually doing. Most groups just left a lump some tip and we split up evenly. When guiding I usually got tipped separately. When not guiding, if I got $50 from a few guys that were there for 4 days I was happy. Pretty sure guests at my lodge tipped low as per average, but wasn't too worried about it, usually.
The guys with deep pockets that have great fishing or catch big fish barely tip it seems. Then some average Joe that saved money for years to be there will give you a great tip when fishing was average. Don't get wealthy giving away money I guess!
I'd say $20 a day per person that actually may have done something for you during your stay should be lots, excluding guide, which you said you won't have.
$20 x 4 staff x 4 days = $320.

Are you tipping from just yourself or also a friend or family member? All depends on how much your trip is costing, your service and what you can afford. As a staff member getting $20 from one guest is a lot different from getting $20 from a group of 4 guests.
Many variables, hope this helps and good luck.

Disco
Were you guys paid like valued employees or waitresses?
Were you expected to live on tips, or was it just a bonus?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 PM

Tips accounted for almost half my income for the summer. Some sort of tip was expected, a good tip was a bonus. Like I said, guests at my lodge seemed to tip lower than the industry average I figured, but still loved it. Couldn't make a living off just 4 months of work unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Banned

I made $160-180 a day plus tips was decent money for catching Lakers, pike and grayling all day
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
I made $160-180 a day plus tips was decent money for catching Lakers, pike and grayling all day
I wish I was making that much back when I was guiding. You were obviously at a lodge in the far north where trips were likely fairly pricey. 4 days unguided at my old lodge ran around $1800 back then.