Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Default Buying a boat.

So I'm going to be purchasing a boat tomorrow off a guy from Kijiji. Having never purchased something like this what steps do i need to take to get the boat home?(2Hour Drive)
Do i hand over the cash, get the bill of sale for both trailer and boat then go to the registry office and register them?
Do i need insurance right off the bat or do i get some lenience?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
So I'm going to be purchasing a boat tomorrow off a guy from Kijiji. Having never purchased something like this what steps do i need to take to get the boat home?(2Hour Drive)
Do i hand over the cash, get the bill of sale for both trailer and boat then go to the registry office and register them?
Do i need insurance right off the bat or do i get some lenience?

Thanks
Insurance from tow vehicle will cover while in transit, but trailer will need a plate, ins for the boat is to cover when on water, storage etc...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Unless you know the person u should check for any bank leans against the boat. If you take the boat info including serial numbers for boat and motor to a registry or your bank, they can check for leans. You will need a trailer plate of course. Since the boat will be behind your vehicle, the boat is insured under your vehicle insurance. However u can simply call your insurer and get it done over the phone. Normally it is the cheapest attaching the boat insurance to your house insurance. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is. Good luck. PS if you don't already have it make sure you obtain your boat licence. Your insurer will ask for and it is the law.. Not that I have ever been asked for it even when Fish and Wildlife has been doing spot checks for your safety gear.
Enjoy the boat.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Unless you know the person u should check for any bank leans against the boat. If you take the boat info including serial numbers for boat and motor to a registry or your bank, they can check for leans. You will need a trailer plate of course. Since the boat will be behind your vehicle, the boat is insured under your vehicle insurance. However u can simply call your insurer and get it done over the phone. Normally it is the cheapest attaching the boat insurance to your house insurance. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is. Good luck. PS if you don't already have it make sure you obtain your boat licence. Your insurer will ask for and it is the law.. Not that I have ever been asked for it even when Fish and Wildlife has been doing spot checks for your safety gear.
Enjoy the boat.
X2 and also...

I would have it inspected if I were you. Do a leak test (fill the bilge and wait for water to pour out if it is an aluminum hull) no water coming out = no water going in when on the water. You can also check to see if the bilge pump works as well. Compression check on the motor at a minimum. If it is an inboard do compression and a coolant pressure test to make sure the block is intact. Many people have had engine failure due to improper winterizing on inboards. Check leg oil to see if it is milky looking = leak. Check trailer bearings and tires for cracks and or rot. You can get an in transit tag to get it home and register it when you plan to use it.

Have fun
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM

My insurance rep told me that any boat with a motor of 15hp or less was covered under my home insurance already. Might not be in your case or might not even be true, thats just i was told.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM

What is it that you are looking at Twobit?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Enjoy the boat.
Never heard of an insurance company asking for boating license.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM

I just bought a new boat and insured it yesterday and they asked for a photocopy of my boating license.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Never heard of an insurance company asking for boating license.
Me as well. Insured my boat 2 days ago. Only asked if I had a boat license but did not ask for proof.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM

I actually just bought a boat and called yesterday about insurance and they also asked for my boating license.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Last edited by cube; 04-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.