Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Default New bow- down to the final three!!

Time to get a new hunting bow and retire my old PSE Thunderbolt. I'm down to an Elite GT500, APA Viper XL, and the Mathews Dreanalin LD- In that order. Options are limited for those uf us with a long draw. Any of you out there have experience with these??
Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM

I would have to say the GT500 would be an awsome choice. The bows shoot really nice, very foregiving. With a warranty and customer service like Elite has you cant go wrong.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM

I shoot a Matthews Drenalin, I'm not sure about the LD but I love my bow, and I shot a dozen different bows deciding on what I wanted and overall the Drenalin won out.
Junkie
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM

APA builds a wicked bow
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 PM

If I had to pick out of those three, definatly Apa first, then the Mathews... I've shot both and both are great bows. How long is your draw length?? Athens Archery bows are great bows and go to 31 inches, maybe check them out.

www.athensarchery.com
Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 PM

I shoot an APA Viper,its smooth forgiving and loaded with cool features, the best being the built in bow press,you'll love it.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
If I had to pick out of those three, definatly Apa first, then the Mathews... I've shot both and both are great bows. How long is your draw length?? Athens Archery bows are great bows and go to 31 inches, maybe check them out.

www.athensarchery.com
My draw length is 31". I'll check out the Athens link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
I shoot an APA Viper,its smooth forgiving and loaded with cool features, the best being the built in bow press,you'll love it.
Yes- the APA's have some cool featheres. I do like the carrying handle too!

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

its kinda odd that noone else is copying apa's innovations on the built in tools. they sure are welcome features.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 AM

That Drenalin LD looks like a nice bow. Have you had a chance to shoot them yet? I looked on the Hoyt site and the Maxxis 35 goes all the way to 32. Just another option.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Now you got me looking at bows. If you change your mind about the three bows you picked out after you shoot them. check the Strothers Archery web site out. The Inspire goes to 32 inch. The dealer locater shows that Big Timber Archery & tackle in Grande Prairie as a dealer. Those bows sure look nice and sleek.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 PM

I just Got my new drenaline .......cant wait to shoot it
Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Im completely new to bowhunting, but thought I would post my experience with my Elite Archery GT500. First of all, their customer service is off the charts. I won the bow in a draw, and had a few issues with the local dealer trading it for the proper draw side and length. When the Elite rep heard about it (thanks to a member on here), he stepped up and offered a full trade for a new 2010 for me.

So I get my new bow on Saturday, shoot about 20 arrows through it, and then enter a 3D shoot on Sunday. Scored 121 on the first course, and 168 on the back. So I would say they are pretty forgiving if a guy that has never shot a bow before can go out and shoot every target on the first course, and every target in the kill zone on the second course. Mine is a 31" left hand draw GT500. I love it.

Oh......and we chrono'ed mine at 289fps at 60lbs draw wieght, shooting a 400 grain arrow.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
Im completely new to bowhunting, but thought I would post my experience with my Elite Archery GT500. First of all, their customer service is off the charts. I won the bow in a draw, and had a few issues with the local dealer trading it for the proper draw side and length. When the Elite rep heard about it (thanks to a member on here), he stepped up and offered a full trade for a new 2010 for me.

So I get my new bow on Saturday, shoot about 20 arrows through it, and then enter a 3D shoot on Sunday. Scored 121 on the first course, and 168 on the back. So I would say they are pretty forgiving if a guy that has never shot a bow before can go out and shoot every target on the first course, and every target in the kill zone on the second course. Mine is a 31" left hand draw GT500. I love it.

Oh......and we chrono'ed mine at 289fps at 60lbs draw wieght, shooting a 400 grain arrow.
Congratulations on your new bow and for having a great time at your first 3D! Shot in Creston, I'm guessing? I was there and had a good time too. Good little course! Nice to get out to the area's first 3D shoot of the season.
Hope to see you at some of the other events.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM

I would personally go with the Viper, then the Elite. After that I would look at the PSE Axe, then a Bowtech Admiral.
I haven't shot a Drenalin in two years, but it was a couple sticks and "Meh". The Viper and the Elite are both great choices.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the input Guys!! Greatly appreciated!