Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Whitetail population way down in WMU310

It's good to see people posting stories and pictures of their successful WT hunts. But it surely isn't so in my home WMU310. For the past couple of years, numbers have been pathetic, this year is no exception. A couple of days ago, at first light, I did have a doe in my crosshairs a mere 50 yards away. Problem was that her rear end was facing me and only a small part of her neck as she turned to look at me. Other problem was that the 50 yard bullet path was obstructed by a lot of branches and twigs. Needless to say, she walked away unharmed. Kind of glad in an obscure way.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Welcome to the club !!!

I don't hunt 310, but in the units I regularly frequent, it's the same since 2010. I remember the days when seeing 30 deer a day was regular, this year, I've been out every weekend since early september and the total count so far: whitetails 5 does and 2 fawns, mule deer 1 doe and 3 fawns. But according to many, there's nothing to worry about, I'm just a whinning spoiled baby.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM

Don't know where u are hunting in 310 but I have been hunting in there steady for about a week and have seen a lot of whitetail and some nice bucks as well the deer I find there are not out in the fields there is a lot in the brush if u stick to the brush move slow don't sit and wait in spots u will see lots of deer my 2 cents but I seen in last 3 days more then 5 deer a hour hunting on average just not my 5x5 yet.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM

I'm in 500
I have been out everyday since Nov 1
A there has been very little movement
B on Tuesday nite I came across 5 bucks all together yet. This was at 5:15 past shooting time. I stopped and watched them for a bit. They were not scared.even if it were shooting time I would have been screwed because I was driving.i don't road hunt!
C last nite was different at 4:46 the does started coming out. Counted 14
I think we still need a week before we see the Bucks starting to move

Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 AM

I think populations are still down across the province. It is just my opinion.

I also think that we need to get rid of supplemental tags for a few years.

I also dislike when people feel the need to shoot an elk, a moose and 3 deer just because they are able to because the law allows. When asked why they do it, they say because I am allowed and if I dont do it someone else will. Then they give away 3/4 of the meat to their friends just because they have too much.

Management in this province by its own hunters is terrible. Shooting everything that has horns and then complaining that there are no big deer around also gets my goat. Shooting all the does because their quarter has too many while all the quarters around have none.

I am just giving my opinions, not looking to start a fight with anyone.

I am sure there are many that feel the same way, but dont say it because when you say deer numbers are down, the first or second response is always.......... get out of your truck and walk a bit, or, my place has lots you just arent looking hard enough.

Keep shooting everything that walks and when our kids are older they wont be able to hunt because there is nothing left to hunt. We killed it all just because we could.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM

I have been in and out of 310 a few times before open season and always ran into 20 or so white tails. They always move out of the area each year and head to safer areas like farmers fields close to around November. Not saying they aren't a bit down...but i have seen quite few on different occasions.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Banned

They're all dead in 310,seen at least 4 roadkills between Longview and Chain Lks yesterday,DOH!!
J/k,seen several live ones too,none where I have permission unfortunately,including a nice 160 class 5x6 flipping me the bird from 100 yards off road in a wide open stubble field....arggggggg!!
Actually,that's not entirely true.....seen a few does where I had permission,nothing I wanted to shoot though.....and 2 mule bucks which I don't have tag for....and 40 sum elk high tailing it over a ridge being chased by hunters on property across the road from me....and a cpl coyotes that were a wee bit too far to waste a bullet on(500y?).
Pretty fun day actually,seen lotsa game,deer were on the move mid day/high noon in wide open fields.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Gitrdun, every year I hunt land in 310, west of Longview. Similar to your experience some years I don't see a single white tailed deer. The land I hunt is definitely mulie territory. Yet this year, all I've seen are white tails. I've yet to see a mule deer. Definitely backwards from the usual situation.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gitrdun, every year I hunt land in 310, west of Longview. Similar to your experience some years I don't see a single white tailed deer. The land I hunt is definitely mulie territory. Yet this year, all I've seen are white tails. I've yet to see a mule deer. Definitely backwards from the usual situation.
Yes, likewise. I hunt a huge grazing lease west of Longview, past the OH, Buffalo Head, etc. (WMU312). Over the years, I knew that the closer I got to the forestry (WMU406), that was mulie country. Down lower and further east, that was whitetail country. The two territories were always well separated by approximately 2-3 miles. This season, I've seen that the whitetails have moved into what previously was mulie country. During our elk expedition October 25th - 27th, I did not see a single mulie, but the place was crawling with whitetails. Elk are plentiful there as we attempted an approach on a herd of 50 or so. But my horse acted like a typical mare and blew it for me.

The shortages and low numbers of whitetail that I mention in WMU310 are within I would estimate a 10 mile radius of my home. Outside of that, I'm not sure as my couple of honey holes are within a 15 minute drive.

So, two different locations with two very different outcome.

Last edited by gitrdun; 11-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Weather hasn't helped either. I've got a Mulie buck draw if any of ya see a pig. Wink wink
Old 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM

There was a nice whitetail buck with a doe in the ditch Saturday night near Chain lakes. Time for romance appears to be very near.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM

I would say the 310 WT population is doing VERY well, as it has for many years now. My last drive through 310n on 22 at sunset revealed well over a hundred WTs in 15-20 kms, which is a normal sight.

Just as some people generalize and say deer are down in Alberta, which is true in some areas and Not true for others, the same goes for generalizing an entire wmu from the experience of a small part of it. Making a generalization from a small sample is fraught with error, like when evaluating deer populations by only counting from the pavement.

I don't doubt at all that an area that held lots of deer one year will be void of them the next. This happens all the time. Changing food source is often the cause for longer term shifts in habitat use. It is stunning how effectively a pack of wolves will chase out almost all the game in several square miles in an afternoon.

Perhaps the WT population is down on the western border of 310, but still there are thousands of them here.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 PM

I agree with all you said Mickey, but most of all I would like to see the supplemental tag gone.

I thought deer numbers would have been getting better in 521 and 522, they just haven't recovered from bad winters and over harvest.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I would say the 310 WT population is doing VERY well, as it has for many years now. My last drive through 310n on 22 at sunset revealed well over a hundred WTs in 15-20 kms, which is a normal sight.

Just as some people generalize and say deer are down in Alberta, which is true in some areas and Not true for others, the same goes for generalizing an entire wmu from the experience of a small part of it. Making a generalization from a small sample is fraught with error, like when evaluating deer populations by only counting from the pavement.

I don't doubt at all that an area that held lots of deer one year will be void of them the next. This happens all the time. Changing food source is often the cause for longer term shifts in habitat use. It is stunning how effectively a pack of wolves will chase out almost all the game in several square miles in an afternoon.

Perhaps the WT population is down on the western border of 310, but still there are thousands of them here.

That's very true. I can only comment on the couple of square miles I have permission on. I gotta get access to more land. I need some ELK!! Saw a pretty significant herd in 132 pretty far east of highway 2 yesterday, but haven't seen any in my little corner of 310.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Likely, you are right Walking Buff. I sure hope so. Note that I've mentioned that my estimation is based upon a small sector of 310, namely a 10 mile radius around my home (post #9). WMU310 is a fair size chunk of real estate with varied topography and food sources. As for myself, I will likely omit pulling the trigger in my immediate vicinity and travel a bit further. Should my tags end up as Christmas tree ornaments, then so be it. I would much prefer to practise my own personal means of conversation to help our local herds rebound.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:40 PM

filled my WT tag in 310 today and where I'm hunting I've seen only WT and no Mule . Kind of opposite to norm . Some nice Wt sheds too and moose . Game pop seems healthy
Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Banned

Anyone have issues accessing the lease land?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Ive noticed in the past couple years that the numbers are extremely low in 134 aswell. They started to issue antlerless mule tags in the same zone this year and i can say since the beginning of november i have seen those numbers dwindle aswell. Its almost as if they are trying to wipeout the deer population here.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
I think populations are still down across the province. It is just my opinion.

I also think that we need to get rid of supplemental tags for a few years.

I also dislike when people feel the need to shoot an elk, a moose and 3 deer just because they are able to because the law allows. When asked why they do it, they say because I am allowed and if I dont do it someone else will. Then they give away 3/4 of the meat to their friends just because they have too much.

Management in this province by its own hunters is terrible. Shooting everything that has horns and then complaining that there are no big deer around also gets my goat. Shooting all the does because their quarter has too many while all the quarters around have none.

I am just giving my opinions, not looking to start a fight with anyone.

I am sure there are many that feel the same way, but dont say it because when you say deer numbers are down, the first or second response is always.......... get out of your truck and walk a bit, or, my place has lots you just arent looking hard enough.

Keep shooting everything that walks and when our kids are older they wont be able to hunt because there is nothing left to hunt. We killed it all just because we could.
No comment

Last edited by savagencounter; 11-12-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Don't forget that so far this fall has been very dry and mild/ warm. Very likely the deer are holding close to the shade during the day as with their winter coat they could be too warm.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 AM

was out in 210 friends farm lots of mulies counted 5 bucks one 5x5 and about 15 does in about 2hrs funny thing is it is general whitrtail never seen one yet on his land in 10yrs and draw for mule deer .. and now there is a small elk herd in 210

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”