Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Default First Shot of a Practice Session

Does anyone simulate their first shot of a practice session? IE shoot 3-D from a stand. Shoot from their knees. Shoot in such a way that if you miss you loose the arrow. I can think of a few others but I'm sure there are plenty that I'll never think of.

I want some ideas to start my practice sessions and even work on through practice sessions. Think I will start each session with a shot that will help simulate the pressure I'll experience when I finally let fly at a living animal. I know I can not duplicate that pressure so simulating it is about all I can do.

Look forward to the responses.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Absolutely. The first shot is likely the only one you will get at a live animal. Try leaving your rig set up with a target in the basement or garage and just take one shot. Forget grouping arrows at a known distance. Do that to make sure you're sights are dead on (if you use them).

try moving your feet around (opening the stance), sitting on your butt and moving from your belly to a shooting position. Hunting presents all kinds of wierd angles.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 AM

I sometimes set my deer target in the trees or down hill, feild ect and take just one shot. Then move target in another pos. try to shoot from akward pos from knees, butt, ect . I allso make sure theres lots of trees and branches in the way for added realizium. I have 4 or 5 arrows set up for just this shooting all the same as i will hunt with. Have fun. jay Oh and try shooting no less land 40 yards. It makes them 20yard shots seem to easy and thats what you'll need when the big ones standing there.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
I sometimes set my deer target in the trees or down hill, feild ect and take just one shot. Then move target in another pos. try to shoot from akward pos from knees, butt, ect . I allso make sure theres lots of trees and branches in the way for added realizium. I have 4 or 5 arrows set up for just this shooting all the same as i will hunt with. Have fun. jay Oh and try shooting no less land 40 yards. It makes them 20yard shots seem to easy and thats what you'll need when the big ones standing there.
I do the same thing, except I let someone else set up the targets