Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 PM

Default cheap coyote and wolf coil traps?

Looking for some coyote a wolf leg holds. Halfords was pretty much out of stock last week.

Where's the cheapest place to buy them?

I know the whole "support local"... And I would, if prices were within reason. Buying 20 leg holds is too much to buy local
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 PM

If anyone has any they want to get rid of please pm me as well
Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 AM

hard to find cheap traps that meet canadian trap standards. pretty much all traps, right out of the box. still require additional hardware(chain,shock absorber,swivels,ect).

buying the bare bones trap and doing all the mods yourself is the cheapest way.

a trap that is ready to go, right from the purchase(new/used). costs alot of money. no matter where you buy them.

its a big investment. either way.

i have 3 victor soft catch. 75$. coy coyote doesn't seem to want them anymore.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
hard to find cheap traps that meet canadian trap standards. pretty much all traps, right out of the box. still require additional hardware(chain,shock absorber,swivels,ect).

buying the bare bones trap and doing all the mods yourself is the cheapest way.

a trap that is ready to go, right from the purchase(new/used). costs alot of money. no matter where you buy them.

its a big investment. either way.

i have 3 victor soft catch. 75$. coy coyote doesn't seem to want them anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I bought some last night from the states. Seemed to be much cheaper than here even with exchange, shipping etc..
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
Thanks for the reply. I bought some last night from the states. Seemed to be much cheaper than here even with exchange, shipping etc..
What did you end up buying for wolf traps Bushmonkey ???
Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What did you end up buying for wolf traps Bushmonkey ???
#5 Bridger Coil Spring Trap (Alaskan Modified)

I got them for 32$ each from http://www.fntpost.com

I hope putting that website up is not violating and forum rules..

I ordered 4 to check out. If I get them and they seem good I will order another 15.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 PM

when it comes to wolf traps don't go for cheap of any kind I love the bridger wolf traps I think they are number nines can remember about 100 a piece but worth I have ten mb750 I will part with for 32 bucks a piece if anyone wants them
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Wally I was going to buy some of those 750's. What's wrong with them for wolves? What's the difference you find in a $100 braun compared to a $40 Bridger? I would think either would be fine no?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 PM

Those wolves I caught where in Bridger Brawns. They are a serious wolf trap, prob weigh about 15 pounds with the chain. Those Bridger #5's look pretty weak in my opinion, much like the MB 750's. Two out of the three wolves were toe catches and those big traps held them solid. I bought 10 of them a couple years ago from Trapper Gords for about $180 a piece. They came with 10 feet of chain with 2 swivels in line and they where dyed and ready to go. Pricey yes, but the things will last for 30 years and to me if I don't ever lose a wolf because I used a marginal trap, the money was worth it. Another thing is the Bridger Brawns I use are soft catches, which is important to me. None of those wolves feet where damaged or had broken skin where the jaws where biting. Not important to everyone I understand but to me it is.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 PM

Good info here.

I will take a look at them and see whats what.. I'll give them a try. If I miss a wolf I'll definitly be buying better lol..

I actually thought what I ordered were soft catched. On second veiwing they aren't. Glad I didn't order a lot of them. I wonder if I can add rubber to them?? Anyone know?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Wally I was going to buy some of those 750's. What's wrong with them for wolves? What's the difference you find in a $100 braun compared to a $40 Bridger? I would think either would be fine no?
ive used the 750s for years and are a very good trap for the price. the biggest thing about the 750 is it is smaller. the wolf has to step right on top of the pan to make a good catch if it is a little off you will clip his toes and educate him. a good example of the bridger number 9 working is in torks post on the wolves he got. the two wolves he got by the toes would of been misses with a 750. again the 750 is a good trap but the strike zone is small I have lots of them but am going to more bridger cause of the big strike zone.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Those wolves I caught where in Bridger Brawns. They are a serious wolf trap, prob weigh about 15 pounds with the chain. Those Bridger #5's look pretty weak in my opinion, much like the MB 750's. Two out of the three wolves were toe catches and those big traps held them solid. I bought 10 of them a couple years ago from Trapper Gords for about $180 a piece. They came with 10 feet of chain with 2 swivels in line and they where dyed and ready to go. Pricey yes, but the things will last for 30 years and to me if I don't ever lose a wolf because I used a marginal trap, the money was worth it. Another thing is the Bridger Brawns I use are soft catches, which is important to me. None of those wolves feet where damaged or had broken skin where the jaws where biting. Not important to everyone I understand but to me it is.
couldn't agree more with you tork you can get the brauns from fnt post I think for around a 100 bucks but no chain or dye ram connection also as a good price on them.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Banned

As above spend some money if you are going to use legholds for wolves. I've got about 20 Bob Beer legholds and they work well. Not sure if Bob is still building them. As Torkdiesel said the Bridger Braun's work well and I have heard nothing but good things about the Lay traps.

DO NOT USE THE 750's!!! They don't have the diameter needed nor the holding power to properly hold a wolf. I know alot of trappers here that started with them becauseof the price, and all they did is educate wolves!!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Sounds like I have to save a few pennies then and get some decent ones
Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM

I am not a wolf expert! The only 3 I have caught have been in 750's. One was a toe catch! None of them escaped! Nothing wrong with the mb750! It works and it holds the animals!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 PM

yes they are a good trap and will hold a wolf with no trouble at all put they are small and the chances of a miss is a lot greater. when it comes to wolves use the best you can. I have caught many in 750s but after using the bridger wolf trap I wont go back
Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM

Interesting! Thx

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM

Why are they twice the price?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Another reason I don't like the 750 is they do not have the power to get through even a bit of a snow crust and catch effectively or at all. The Bob Beer, Braun, Lay traps work effectively even if you get some bad weather and a snow crust.

Best thing Nube is to go to one of the stores and look for yourself at the differences. They will be obvious once you have a peek. Set a 750 and spring it, then set a Braun or Lay and you will see the difference in power/speed, and the difference in the catch area. Also look at the trigger sytems. Spending the extra money is worth it when you may only get one chance at catching maybe even for the whole season. Educate a couple and it will make your wolf trapping much more difficult

Last edited by martinnordegg; 01-02-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Another reason I don't like the 750 is they do not have the power to get through even a bit of a snow crust and catch effectively or at all. The Bob Beer, Braun, Lay traps work effectively even if you get some bad weather and a snow crust.

Best thing Nube is to go to one of the stores and look for yourself at the differences. They will be obvious once you have a peek. Set a 750 and spring it, then set a Braun or Lay and you will see the difference in power/speed, and the difference in the catch area. Also look at the trigger sytems. Spending the extra money is worth it when you may only get one chance at catching maybe even for the whole season. Educate a couple and it will make your wolf trapping much more difficult
totally agree I had pee post set sit all winter last year I actually could not find it under the snow so I was going to pick it up when the snow melted. I drove buy it when ever I checked my other sets thinking there is no hope of a wolf getting caught. well one day I drive buy and a wolf is in the set the trap had to come up out of at least a foot and half of soft snow could not believe how the bridger worked.