Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Default Bow hunting New Zealand

Next winter I plan to move my family down to New Zealand for a few months, get a job of sorts down there and see what they have to offer in the way of bowhunting... has anybody ever done this kind of thing before? If so, was it tricky to get permits and tags as a non resident? Where is the best area to start?

Thanks
Dan
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 AM

From what I recall from looking to go hunting without a guide it's actually pretty easy. I've read in many places that you can just go buy a tag and basically go hunting. The red deer might be a bit more controlled now but the chamois and Thar are all considered pests and can be hunted year round with out a tag from what I remember.Its been a few years now so that might have changed. I hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Sorry I should clarify by tag I mean your CITES permit to transport animals back to Canada as like I said I don't recall there actually being an animal tag for any of the game there.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks juicy

Ive been researching it as well and that was kind of the conclusion i had come to... no tags,
Wierd
Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM

I went bow fishing there and it was one of the most fun things I did. We shot eagle rays and were looking for black rays as well. I also tried for shark with no luck. You can hunt anything there on public land without a licence. The problem is the bush is really thick and can be tough to bow hunt in. But guys get it done. You should check out the Newzealand bow hunter society. It may be a good way to get started. http://www.nzbowhunters.co.nz
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Default Lots of Feral Pigs

There are plenty of opportunity to stick a feral pig as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM

It's kind of neat though because they have different cabins you can hike or helicopter to and stay over at to hunt the different animals. if your there for some time im sure you will meet the locals and make some friends to go hunting with. They are super friendly so it shouldn't be to hard to make friends.