Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Browning Maxus Vs Remington Versa Max

I am in the market for a new semi auto 12 Gauge 3.5 inch chamber for goose hunting. I want a Browning Maxus but I am also curious about the Versa max. Anyone out there own either of these that can tell me what they think?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 PM

I have a wood stocked Maxus 3" you can try, will be for sale shortly

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM

I picked up a VersaMax just over a month ago. I am just shy of 1000 rounds through it and havent had a single jam. The porting system it has to accept 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells is a pretty neat design. They self cleaning system is also pretty neat. The low recoiling option is pretty nice too. yes it does have a lower recoil than a Vinci, SBEII, Xtrema II, and Maxis. One of the better guns Remington has produced in the past 20 years. Besides loving mine, I know Field & Stream and American Rifleman both picked it as the shotgun of the year.

Here is a link to a good video on the recoil, and cleaning systems.
http://www.remington.com/pages/Versa-Max.aspx

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I picked up a VersaMax just over a month ago. I am just shy of 1000 rounds through it and havent had a single jam. The porting system it has to accept 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells is a pretty neat design. They self cleaning system is also pretty neat. The low recoiling option is pretty nice too. yes it does have a lower recoil than a Vinci, SBEII, Xtrema II, and Maxis. One of the better guns Remington has produced in the past 20 years. Besides loving mine, I know Field & Stream and American Rifleman both picked it as the shotgun of the year.

Here is a link to a good video on the recoil, and cleaning systems.
http://www.remington.com/pages/Versa-Max.aspx
Thanks for your help. Now I dont know what to get lol. I have been very curious about this Versa Max and love everything about it when I pick one up only I have never heard any feedback until now. I like the idea of the self cleaning design also.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Two of our club members have been shooting the Maxus on a regular basis for trap and skeet, and neither has ever jammed, even when using the light target loads. If I was forced to shoot a semi auto, it would be a Maxus.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM

The Versa Max was Remmy's entry into the modern Auto-Loader market, yes I said it "modern" the 11-87's are good but are not on par with the offerings of Beretta, Benelli, Browning, etc...

The Freedom group is also being sued by Beretta because the Versa Max has numerous similarities to the SBEII, although being two separate operating systems (gas/inertia). The fit and finish of the Versa Max is good, if not great and besides the initial recall of them, they will definitely hold their own against similarly priced shotguns.

The Verse Max was recalled due to an issue with it not going bang when it was supposed to... simply the Freedom group rushed production and QC when down, however they jumped on this issue, recalled them, fixed them, and now there are no issues that have come since.

The Maxus is a joy to shoot and clean, very simple and straight forward. The only thing that I do not like is the dura coat finish... DO NOT GET SOLVENT ON THIS FINISH!!!!!!!

Honestly you can't go wrong with either, swing them in the store see how they feel, maybe a AO member may let you shoot theirs, etc...

You also may want to look at the Winchester SX3, similar to the Maxus but in many instances a few dollars cheaper.

hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
The Verse Max was recalled due to an issue with it not going bang when it was supposed to... simply the Freedom group rushed production and QC when down, however they jumped on this issue, recalled them, fixed them, and now there are no issues that have come since.
Yes and as far as I know there were no Canadians that had gotten their hands on a VersaMax when the recall occured. Any guns in Canada were manufactured after the recall.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Two of our club members have been shooting the Maxus on a regular basis for trap and skeet, and neither has ever jammed, even when using the light target loads. If I was forced to shoot a semi auto, it would be a Maxus.
What do you like about the Maxus over the VersaMax?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
What do you like about the Maxus over the VersaMax?
I haven't used the VersaMax, but I have used the Maxus, and it fits and swings well for me, and it seems totally reliable from what I have seen. As such, I would go withg what I know, rather than gamble with something else.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

I picked up a Maxus this spring, very nice gun to shoot and cycles well.