Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Default Keeping Holes free of Ice

Was out in the cold snap, lost a number of fish on the tip ups because the line was freezing in the top of the holes.

I use rods for tip ups, I took metal coffee cans cleared the snow to ice level
drop a dozen or so bbq charcoal bricks in the can and lit them, placed the can 6" from the hole, worked like a charm no ice all day even with the wind.
Added about 8 chunks after 4 hrs perfect kept them free of ice all day.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Going to have to try that.
I have used an air bubbler and air stone (kind used on the side of a pail to keep bait alive) at it keeps the hole relatively ice free. The D battery last, on a cold day, the entire day.

RJ
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Hand Warmer

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that.

Has anyone tried a hand warmer activated? Not sure if they float. Was thinking of trying that - probably need to attach a couple of small bobbers for it to float or put it in a plastic sealed container floating in the hole.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post

Has anyone tried a hand warmer activated? Not sure if they float. Was thinking of trying that - probably need to attach a couple of small bobbers for it to float or put it in a plastic sealed container floating in the hole.
I just cover the hole with Styrofoam insulation 3/4" to 1" thick (could be thicker if you wanted). Make the Styrofoam a bit larger than the hole and cut a thin slit to the middle. Keeps the holes ice free all day.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Suspended User

anti-freeze
Old 01-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye99 View Post
anti-freeze

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
anti-freeze
OMFG.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM

Methanol works good too
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM

Never tried it but have heard of people using vegetable oil.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM

A chisel, an ice scoop and walking to the holes with both in hand work pretty well for me
Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
anti-freeze
Good thing that's neither illegal, or unethical nor does it hurt the fish or the environment ...... er ..... wait ..........

Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Good thing that's neither illegal, or unethical nor does it hurt the fish or the environment ...... er ..... wait ..........

Or he could be joking!!!

I like the Methanol suggestion...I find it works even better if you light it on fire.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
Or he could be joking!!!

I like the Methanol suggestion...I find it works even better if you light it on fire.
Whether its a joke or not there may be some people on here who would believe that this is a good idea and try it..... sad but true.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Ion

Guys has anyone used the ION battery operated ice augurs? If so how are you liking it or not? I'm thinking of getting 8" hole size and before I spend the $$ I want to get some feed back from people who use them.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM

catching fish works the best for keeping the hole from freezing over
Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270fan View Post
Whether its a joke or not there may be some people on here who would believe that this is a good idea and try it..... sad but true.
That is true. Those same people that missed that joke will also likely miss EZMs uncalled for sarcasm and go around telling people that its neither illegal or unethical because they read it in a forum.

Comments like EZMs make this place a little less friendly and there's better ways of spelling out a joke beside sarcasm.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
That is true. Those same people that missed that joke will also likely miss EZMs uncalled for sarcasm and go around telling people that its neither illegal or unethical because they read it in a forum.

Comments like EZMs make this place a little less friendly and there's better ways of spelling out a joke beside sarcasm.
If after 18 posts you are already commenting about the friendliness of this place, then maybe this ain't the place for you.

Suggesting anti-freeze is not funny nor is it legal.

I am also going to use the styrofoam insulation method for the jaw jacker. My other tip ups are frabill insulated ones and no issues with the holes there freezing up.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
If after 18 posts you are already commenting about the friendliness of this place, then maybe this ain't the place for you.

I am also going to use the styrofoam insulation method for the jaw jacker. My other tip ups are frabill insulated ones and no issues with the holes there freezing up.

Not sure what my post count has to do with it. I don't think there's many of us that haven't told a joke in poor taste before that others may not find funny. Present company excluded of course.

Back on topic though. I typically check the tip-ups periodically/clean them out just to keep me busy when things are slow.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Fair enough .......... but I did put in the ........ er ..........wait AND to indicate it was a sarcastic ha-ha joke.

Next time I guess I will add an appropriate disclaimer as follows;

"the above comments, although implied, may not be a true reflection of the writers opinions or beliefs, and may not be reflective of the position or opinions of the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum, or it's affiliates. The author reserves the right to use creative writing expressions, which may include, but are not limited to, sarcasm, smiley faces, face palms, and other forms written language to imply these expressions"

or ..... we can assume people have the capacity to understand the intent when using the expressions in bold above.

Does that work better? oh by the way .... I'm just joking ..... again
Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post

If you are making one up ..... make 2 of them .... I would be happy to test my jaw jacker on the Johny2000 in-su-late-a-hole prototype.

Jaw Jacker ........... bring an eye-patch ......... because your gonna need one !!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy27 View Post
Guys has anyone used the ION battery operated ice augurs? If so how are you liking it or not? I'm thinking of getting 8" hole size and before I spend the $$ I want to get some feed back from people who use them.
Friggin awesome. Just keep the battery inside your tent when not in use. I guess they go dead sitting in the cold.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post

I tried it last year and it worked for a couple hrs. Some guys said they couldnt get it to work but I don't know why ? Just put the hand warmer in a ziploc bag with a small amount of air and they float no problem.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I tried it last year and it worked for a couple hrs. Some guys said they couldnt get it to work but I don't know why ? Just put the hand warmer in a ziploc bag with a small amount of air and they float no problem.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Good idea.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Far better idea than dumping antifreeze, methyl, or any other chemicals in the hole.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM

I keep a gallon pot of lake water on my stove and dump in in the holes in my shack, keeps them clear and the edges are smooth as silk, no hung up lines. bonus is you can wash up after handling your fish

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Finally somebody with something intelligent to add to this thread thanks Wayne have to give it a go.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Fair enough .......... but I did put in the ........ er ..........wait AND to indicate it was a sarcastic ha-ha joke.

Next time I guess I will add an appropriate disclaimer as follows;

"the above comments, although implied, may not be a true reflection of the writers opinions or beliefs, and may not be reflective of the position or opinions of the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum, or it's affiliates. The author reserves the right to use creative writing expressions, which may include, but are not limited to, sarcasm, smiley faces, face palms, and other forms written language to imply these expressions"

or ..... we can assume people have the capacity to understand the intent when using the expressions in bold above.

Does that work better? oh by the way .... I'm just joking ..... again
I believe if you order through big bang.you can get a sarcasm sign
Might be handy at these times...

Mack