Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Where now?

So I have been looking upgrade my setup from the old pse stinger for a while now but never know where to start. I finaly made it to Edmonton to check out jimbows as everyone has such great things to say of them. When I got there I was disappointed to find they only had one bow in my price range of $1200 which I knew as soon as I held it that it was not the bow for me.
So now I'm not sure where else to go. Im in the far east so everywhere is quite a ways to drive so I'd rather not drive 3 hours only to have 1 or 2 options

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Wyld Archery isn't too far from the Edmonton Jimbows, may want to give them a call and see what they have available.

Forty minutes further West, in Alberta Beach, is Accurate Archery. Great shop as well.

I'm in the market for an upgrade too, but it seems like the supply chain took a hit this year.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Try APA archery, Wyld carries them. If youre too far from a dealer, APA will send you a bow to try. I went from An older PSE to several second hand APAs myself. Have loved them all.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Wyld Archery isn't too far from the Edmonton Jimbows, may want to give them a call and see what they have available.

Forty minutes further West, in Alberta Beach, is Accurate Archery. Great shop as well.

I'm in the market for an upgrade too, but it seems like the supply chain took a hit this year.
Sounds like I need to make another 3 hour drive then. I will call first and see what folks have in stock. I have thought of maybe driving to biggar and seeing what the apa guys can do for me but I'd prefer to see a few other options first

Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
So I have been looking upgrade my setup from the old pse stinger for a while now but never know where to start. I finaly made it to Edmonton to check out jimbows as everyone has such great things to say of them. When I got there I was disappointed to find they only had one bow in my price range of $1200 which I knew as soon as I held it that it was not the bow for me.
So now I'm not sure where else to go. Im in the far east so everywhere is quite a ways to drive so I'd rather not drive 3 hours only to have 1 or 2 options
Now is a really tough time to find a bow add in Covid and border issues and it’s an even tougher time.

Jimbows usually has quite a few bows on the racks but with the things mentioned above they have been selling out of the midrange package bows as fast as they get them in. The flagship bows are in manufacture backorder, etc. Living in Canada we get the short end when shipping and border issues occur, I wouldn’t judge your experience just off this encounter... things aren’t usually like this.

Most APA bows are right in the $1200-1300 bare bow range. Are you looking for a package bow around $1200 or a bare bow around $1200?

LC
Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 PM

Have you considered another second hand bow? There’s plenty out there, and the quality can be just as good as new at a really fair price.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Have you considered another second hand bow? There’s plenty out there, and the quality can be just as good as new at a really fair price.
That's the problem I'm having right now. I havent handled or shot anything either than my stinger so I would like to see and handle a little bit more before I buy which rules out most used stuff.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Banned

I used to buy a new bow, sometimes 2 or three every year but the cost of a new bow is stupid these days, and nothings really changed much in the past 5 years. I’ve bought a couple second hand bows, way better bang for the buck imo.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM

How far from Wainwright are you? I believe a former member had an archery shop in that area.
Lost Arrow Archery ?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:21 PM

Battleford bait and tackle might be a closer option to you as well. Good people with good selection.

Norm
Old 08-07-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
How far from Wainwright are you? I believe a former member had an archery shop in that area.
Lost Arrow Archery ?
im about 30 min away but i believe he has closed up shop. i did discover that there is a shop up in lloydminster that im going to check out one of these days.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I used to buy a new bow, sometimes 2 or three every year but the cost of a new bow is stupid these days, and nothings really changed much in the past 5 years. I’ve bought a couple second hand bows, way better bang for the buck imo.
I couldn’t agree with you more. Unfortunately the price of new archery equipment has become a luxury... some bare bows cost upwards of $2000 new! I feel that’s out of most people’s reasonable affordability. I’ve owned all second hand bows now, I can’t tell the difference in how they shoot compared to new bows I’ve handled, other than how different makes seem to handle differently Vs other makes. I found shooting the APA bows to be fun and comfortable, and their versatility sets them apart without question. Simple and reliable design, and they are local to western Canada. That means a lot to some of us, especially these days.

Too bad to hear about lost arrow! That’s sad.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 PM

Have to also remember that not everyone is fully stocked due to the covid. I was out at accurate archery last week and he has barely any bows also
Old 08-08-2020, 10:55 PM

made a trip up to lloydminster today and wildside outdoors had a semi decent selection to choose from. I ended up picking up a lightly used hoyt nitrux with all the upgraded bells and whistles.