Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Rod Customization

Lost my flyfishing bro to cancer last year. Let's just say We didn't get out much. When he passed however his wife gave me all his flyfishing stuff. I want to embroider his rod with some writing. You guys have any experience with this. It's going to be kept for the odd sentimentali trip then passed to his son once he's older.

What's a good lacquer to cover the writing. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
Lost my flyfishing bro to cancer last year. Let's just say We didn't get out much. When he passed however his wife gave me all his flyfishing stuff. I want to embroider his rod with some writing. You guys have any experience with this. It's going to be kept for the odd sentimentali trip then passed to his son once he's older.

What's a good lacquer to cover the writing. Thanks.
Z.......g

I use Pigma pens. They are available from Michaels craft store. I like the o.25mm tip. There are colours available. See: http://sakuraofamerica.com/component...t/products/382
The covering for the pen work is best done by oil based products with the easiest to use is Minwax Spar Urethane available everywhere home construction products are sold. Two coats will suffice and to blend the edges of the Minwax to the existing rod blank, hit up CDN tire auto body repair section and pick up some 2000 wet/dry paper. It takes a while to blend the edge.

Need more, give me a shout through this site.

Regards,

Don
Old 02-12-2016, 04:06 PM

Great, thanks Don