Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM

Default Looking to starting hunting...

I am looking for some advice / guidance. I would like to start hunting for deer and not sure where to start. I got my hunter safety when I was 14 and hunted upland and waterfowl back in rural MB where I grew up. I hunted till I was 18 or 19 and then got away from hunting and have really focused on fishing as my wife also loves fishing. I have been iching to take up deer hunting for awhile and have decided this is the year I want to make it happen. We have lived in AB since 1996 - I had an FAC in early 2000's so I could buy a .22 to shoot gophers on the pasture we owned at the time, but that has long expired.
What do I need to make this happen?
I need to buy a deer rifle - I thought I would head down to a local store that sell guns and talk to them about getting that figured out. I live in Calgary and was considering going to Cabelas?
Do I need any certifications to get a hunting licence?
I do not know any land owners here - where can I go hunting?

All information will be apprecatiated.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:52 AM

I'd start out by getting a PAL, I believe you'll have to take the course again since its been so long. Once you get that, I'd get a deer rifle in a suitable cartridge. Then start practicing, if you can hit a pie plate at 200yds you're good.

I'm not sure if you need to take the Alberta hunters Ed, since you hunted in MB. After that you can put in for draws and buy tags.

As for where to hunt, there's tons of crown land in the province. Go for a drive or walk and see if you can find any sign. Also knock on some landowner doors in the summer to try and get permission on their land.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I'd start out by getting a PAL, I believe you'll have to take the course again since its been so long. Once you get that, I'd get a deer rifle in a suitable cartridge. Then start practicing, if you can hit a pie plate at 200yds you're good.

I'm not sure if you need to take the Alberta hunters Ed, since you hunted in MB. After that you can put in for draws and buy tags.

As for where to hunt, there's tons of crown land in the province. Go for a drive or walk and see if you can find any sign. Also knock on some landowner doors in the summer to try and get permission on their land.
Based on the questions you asked, I think you would likely benefit greatly from taking a hunters ed course here. I would suggest taking the course, then after if you still have any questions, come back and ask them.....good luck!

Edit - Meant to quote the OP, not you Diabetic Kripple.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 AM

You can take the Alberta Hunter Education course on the AHEIA website now, here's the link:

https://319.yssecure.com/conservatio...ucation-manual

Here's another link to the firearms licensing page on the rcmp website, they have a phone number there (along with other helpful stuff) that should be able to help you get squared away as far as a PAL goes

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/lic-per-eng.htm

Cabelas is a great place to start looking for a rifle, if you can find other stores that post their inventory online you can sometimes find around a hundred dollars difference pricewise, never hurts to look around. I wish I could point you in the direction of some good public land down there but I'm not familiar with the area, I bet you'll get a pm or two that can help you

There's also a thread near the top of the forum that's for people looking for hunting partners, that could come in handy later especially since you could find someone that knows how to hunt a particular area well. There are a lot of guys on here that will gladly lend a helping hand to beginners, I know I've gotten a lot of great advice and help here. If you have any more questions, feel free!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Thanks. I'll get on it!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Start Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMauthe View Post
I am looking for some advice / guidance. I would like to start hunting for deer and not sure where to start. I got my hunter safety when I was 14 and hunted upland and waterfowl back in rural MB where I grew up. I hunted till I was 18 or 19 and then got away from hunting and have really focused on fishing as my wife also loves fishing. I have been iching to take up deer hunting for awhile and have decided this is the year I want to make it happen. We have lived in AB since 1996 - I had an FAC in early 2000's so I could buy a .22 to shoot gophers on the pasture we owned at the time, but that has long expired.
What do I need to make this happen?
I need to buy a deer rifle - I thought I would head down to a local store that sell guns and talk to them about getting that figured out. I live in Calgary and was considering going to Cabelas?
Do I need any certifications to get a hunting licence?
I do not know any land owners here - where can I go hunting?

All information will be apprecatiated.
Believe there is still the youth for tomorrow program were you can get linked up with an experienced hunter who will mentor you some. It's not just for youth, adults join too. A few years back I mentored a guy that was nearly 30. Also I'm guessing you've got a win card and you've hunted gophers and ducks already? So that means you should be good to start applying for the draws. Just get your PAL and that way you can purchase a rifle and ammo.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM

The most important thing that you can do, is to read this over very carefully, and learn the information that it contains.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

As to purchasing a hunting rifle, Cabela's would be one of my last choices. Their firearms prices are fairly high, and most of the staff in the Cabela's stores are not over knowledgeable.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Check out Ruger no. 1A. very fine rifle if you are interested in something other than a typical bolt action.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 PM

As always the feedback here is awesome Although putting in for draws was mentioned there are lots of places you can hunt deer with a general tag
Old 02-12-2016, 02:57 AM

I would say check out cabelas or bass pro if you in the calgary area im also from mb recntly move to calgary. I was able to take a fine whitetail doe this year i was verry happy. Back to the rifle if your on more of a budget id check the gun library at cabelas you can find quality rifles with scopes for a resonable price. You should also check out the savage axis combo resonably priced and all around good gun. Ive also heard alot of good things about the ruger anerican combo. I personally shoot a tc venture and its a great gun shoots sub moa. I bought one about 4 years ago and put a leupold vx1 on it and couldnt be happier. Hope this helps in your quest and if your in the calgary area maybe we could get together for a hunt in the fall.