Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Sleeping bag recommendations

Looking to do some camping this year with the girlfriend and need a new sleeping bag and foam pad.

Any recommendations? I would like something light since we’ll probably be hiking as well. No winter camping, all spring/summer/fall.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Backpacking camping or car camping?

Next question is what is your budget?

Down or synthetic sleeping bag? Down is lighter and more compressible but doesn't keep it's warmth when wet and is more expensive. Synthetic keeps its warmth when wet but is heavier, bulkier and cheaper. Down if cared for will out last a synthetic bag in my opinion. 3 season -9 C (or 15 F) down bag is perfect for 3 season backpacking in these parts (note that there is no standard for temperature ratings - go with a quality name brand manufacturer).

I like Marmot, Big Agnes (love their combo system with their SLX air pad and sleeping pad sleeve), North Face and if you have deep pockets Western Mountaineering!!

What shape? Mummy, rectangle or semi- rectangle? What kind of sleeper is she, front back side or all over the place. Big Agnes are semi rectangular and have a lot of room to move around.

Air pads are WAY more comfortable then foam pads! Big Agnes and Exped come out on top in my opinion (Exped are heavier and more expensive but warmer). The Therm a rest Neo Air series are way too noisy (sound like you are sleeping on a bag of chips all night!)!

Women's specific bags are normally smaller in length, slightly bigger in the hips and have warmer foot sections...

Yes (RavYak) silk liner is recommended (as he mentions below)!! Keeps the bag cleaner and a few degrees warmer!

Just my 2 cents

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-29-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:14 PM

I like my Therma Rest Prolite sleeping pad. It is comfortable, compact, light weight and not noisy like the Neoair UberFly mentioned.

As for sleeping bag I don't think it is that important if you are buying a summer bag. Try to find the lightest bag that is rated for around -10 and in your price range. I use a -10 bag and that is what I would recommend for a summer bag(really only comfortable to around freezing). Getting something with a compressible bag is nice too if hiking.

I would also get a sleeping bag liner. There are cheap and expensive ones depending what you want.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Yes Prolite is a good choice, but I feel the air pads (not neo -air) are even MORE comfortable (just pricier)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I like my Therma Rest Prolite sleeping pad. It is comfortable, compact, light weight

-Confucius
Old 04-30-2018, 09:55 AM

I’d like to try and keep it around $300ish for bag and pad, but can go a bit higher if the value is there. Not too firm on down or synthetic, most of what we’ll be doing is car camping I think. I’m also 6’1” do it looks like I’ll need a “long” size bag.

Any opinions on the MEC branded bags that they sell?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:13 AM

MEC bags are good value (but mentioning them on here is sacrelige)!! Usually are pretty plain Janeand don’t use as high quality down as an example ( use 400 fill down as opposed say 600 or 800 fill with other more expensive/higher quality brands). Both my wife and I still have MEC bags - mine a 0 C summer (down) barrel and hers a -9 (down) mummy and they are fine. Just bought Big Agnes ( at MEC) -9 synthetic semi rectangular for a trip in the UK where dampness will be an issue. We’ll see how they do. Seem super comfy and love the sleeping pad sleeve. I suspect MEC will copy that design soon.

-Confucius
Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM

Consider buying two rectangular sleeping bags, rather than mummy style bags, that are the same kind. Then you can zip them together making a double wide bag and share a cozier time in the tent.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-01-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Consider buying two rectangular sleeping bags, rather than mummy style bags, that are the same kind. Then you can zip them together making a double wide bag and share a cozier time in the tent.
x2 bag is x4 double warmth and something to remember. But if you go places along and and it's not backpacking - The North Face Aleutian 35º Mummy Sleeping Bag is pretty good, I got mine on sale and slept pretty comfortable in it in (with an insert) in -43C. My preferred way of sleeping, actually, unless I can put a double bag to use.