Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2023, 10:14 PM

Default Hawaii recommendations

So after many trips to Mexico the wife wants to take the family to Hawaii next winter, probably late March or April as both boys are busy with hockey throughout the winter.

I have never been and the wife was there as a kid so we are newbies and any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We would probably go for two weeks, boys would be 14 and 11 next year. Open to hotel or VRBO, we are just not sure what island to stay at and what accommodations would be best.

TIA!!
Old 04-07-2023, 10:30 PM

I have only been to Kauai and loved it. Any place along poi pou beach is great. Way more expensive than Mexico.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:31 PM

You will get a ton of deserving advice here. I do not think that you could lose on your ultimate decision but something to consider…what would you value most from your vacation. Each island seems to offer something a little different from the others.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:24 PM

Most expensive place I ever visited, went kind of reluctantly after I swore I'd never go there. Equivalent of our 4 l milk jug, 10. US., which converts to about 13. Cdn. Basically you need a car to get around and post covid rates are criminal, as are accommodation. Son's mother in law had a house rented in Honolu, so that was taken care of. Very touristy and I'm not a beach person, but hiking Diamond Head and visiting Pearl Harbor were my go to. Pearl harbor and the associated museums are worth 2 days to see properly. Surprised to find the island is overrun with cats, feral chickens and mongoose, just about everything you see is an invasive species.

I flew to Hilo for 4 days , inter island flights are cheap and short, 148. US return to Honolulu. Much more congenial place, I had a car rented and driving was not difficult, speed limits are low and little traffic on the roads. I reserved and paid for a smaller car, when I got there all they had was a brand new Camaro with 19 miles on it, quite a change from my pick up.

Object was to see the volcanoes primarily, I went to Volcanoes National Park and hiked to the bottom of the caldera and a couple of other places, but it rained off and on all the time I was there so not as much as I planned. Did see some turtles on the beach outside Hilo though.

Would I go again ? Not to Honolulu, the Big Island maybe, if the volcano was erupting which it does quite regularly. Waikiki and the other beaches on Oahu are vastly over rated, lots of other places in the world I'd rather go to. Brother in Law was on Maui at the same time, not impressed but said now he can tell people he's been to Hawaii .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 04-07-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:23 AM

Kauai. Super laid back, easy to get around, a never ending supply of beaches to check out, some busy, some you have the place to yourself. Rent a vehicle. If it’s rainy on one side of the island, head for the other side. Small enough to get to the other side in no time.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:27 AM

We’ve been to Honolulu and Maui. Stayed on the North Shore in Honolulu once. Wouldn’t go back. Way too busy for my liking. Loved Maui. Been 2x but it’s gotten crazy expensive. AirBnB we used to pay $125/night USD about 5yrs ago got sold and goes for $400/night now. Car rentals have doubled. Think the wife looked and it was going to cost over $2k for 2 weeks. And you need a car. We didn’t find groceries crazy expensive. And with an AirBnB we cooked the majority of meals at home. They had a gorgeous outdoor kitchen. Bought lots at Costco and topped up at Safeway. The cheapest part of Hawaii right now is getting there. Can usually find flight deals for under $500 if keep your eyes open.

We are currently in the Bahamas and now that’s expensive. Direct flight from Calgary was cheap. Everything else is $$$$ but it’s gorgeous here and I’m not looking at snow!
Old 04-08-2023, 08:49 AM

It’s expensive for sure but I’d rather go to Maui every other year than Mexico every year.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
It’s expensive for sure but I’d rather go to Maui every other year than Mexico every year.
No all inclusives in Hawaii I believe, so food and liquor add a significant cost. The good news is that it's way safer, they do have their Homeless problem though.

Grizz

Old 04-08-2023, 09:43 AM

Start looking now. Prices are out of this world now. Prices are up 300% since precovid times.

Buddy just came back. The place he rented for over 20 years was $260 US / night. Slept 8. Located in Wailea. Cost now$860/night. It’s an expensive area.

We stayed last in Maui at Maui Kamaole for $140/night 15 years ago. 2 weeks now is over $8000US. Kihei is general cheapest in Hawaii. Nice beach in this spot but often windy by afternoon with blowing sand.

The big island we’ve stayed both sides. Not a ton of beaches. Better fishing. Manga snorkel is cool. Also very expensive and lots of condo rentals and super expensive resorts.

Oahu is like going to any American city with a big beach. Night are constant sirens of emergency vehicles.

Best island bar none has to be Kauai. They filmed Gillian’s Island there. They filmed the first Jurassic park scenery shots there. Great snorkelling. Nice beaches. Prices are crazy though.

For a family of 5 with food, airfare, car rental, accommodation, activities… i would be budgeting $12,000+ Cdn/week.

You may be wise to see a travel agent as they may have better deals available to them.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-08-2023, 09:56 AM

We have been to Maui in 2016 I believe, stayed for two weeks. As everybody saying- expensive. Or very expensive. Walked out of one breakfast place because they wanted $40 for omelette and $8 for coffee( just a regular brew).
We enjoyed the trip since we ended up doing lots of looking around and exploring the island. But I put a check mark on this location and will not be coming back.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:00 AM

We just got back from Oahu. Spent 5 nights in Waikiki and 4 nights on the North shore. Had a great time. VRBO/hotel mix. Things are expensive there, but we had cheap enough flights direct from Calgary. I'd go back.

Next time I'd like to hit a different island. Likely Big Island or Maui
Old 04-08-2023, 10:44 AM

Just the other day read an article, they want to implement yet another "green" tax on visitors.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Just the other day read an article, they want to implement yet another "green" tax on visitors.
Honolulu has a light rail transit system they've been building for 20 years now and not yet operational, entirely elevated. "The most expensive light rail system in the world". A logical place for geothermal power generation, but apparently conflicts with Native beliefs. Pele might be upset.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 04-08-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
We just got back from Oahu. Spent 5 nights in Waikiki and 4 nights on the North shore. Had a great time. VRBO/hotel mix. Things are expensive there, but we had cheap enough flights direct from Calgary. I'd go back.

Next time I'd like to hit a different island. Likely Big Island or Maui
Guy at the Mac Donald's in Waikiki tried to rip me off for my change. He picked the wrong tourist.

Grizz

Old 04-08-2023, 11:24 AM

Grizzly Adams1

This time they were talking about saving coral reefs or something... I remember the quote from the interview... "There are 1.4 millions people living on the islands, and 10 million visitors a year... It's time those visitors start paying for using our land". They were talking about implementing something like a yearly pass similar to our Park passes.

Some of the arguments seemed valid but in general - another cash grab
Old 04-08-2023, 12:06 PM

We typically go to Mexico every winter with the kids, the all inclusive thing was awesome when the kids were little, now that they are a bit older I think a condo/house rental of some sort would be just fine as now they can help out more.

We realize its crazy expensive to go and are budgeting $15-25k for two weeks, obviously the less expensive we can make it the better but also do not want to cheap out if we are making the trip. I have been the hesitant one to go to Hawaii just due to the fact we can make Mexico happen for 4 years compared to once to Hawaii!! This is my wifes dream to take the family there, she did it as a kid and wants to see our kids experience it also.

We love the water and love the beaches, we spend every day while in Mexico either around the pool or on the beach. Of course we will do the typical sight seeing that Hawaii has to offer pending what island we go to.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:34 PM

WHAT PART OF MEXICO do you usually go too, My wife and I have travelled a little bit, Dominican , both sides of Mexico mainland and Cuba, even Hawaii and Portugal. Multiple times at Dominican and Mexico.

But recently retired I wanted to try an extended stay so we drove Calgary to San José del Cabo [ Palmilla actually ], rented an AIRBNB for 70 days , heading home Monday.

I must say everything has been outstanding , great beaches not crowded, wonderful weather . The condo came as advertised ,booked another 90 days next year and really wouldn't think of another place to vaca.

So to me this Baja is a hidden gem , again nothing is cheap, even Costco seems expensive here

It's not that I would be apposed to spending 10k and month in Hawaii but I don't think you would top this place

my thoughts
gord
sorry if I derailed the thread somewhat
Old 04-08-2023, 03:26 PM

Didn’t read all the responses

Hawaii (big island) - awesome for adventure. Fishing, volcano park, macadamia nut farm, hunting, hikes. It is big, as in you need a rental car. The bus sucks.

Oahu - lots of history, lots of shopping, busy, tourist stuff that is still fun especially for first timers, good surfing, good food and beer, expensive, crowded, fishing sucks. Meth tent city at Makaha and no-go zone further, but easily avoided. Bus is ok, but driving is fun, traffic is nbd.

Maui - laid back, good fishing and hunting, getting more expensive as it’s getting a lot of exposure.

Kauai - even more laid back, lots of hikes, lots of rain

Here’s the thing about all of the islands - there are things that can kill you that you may not recognize. Cantilevered vegetation, crazy ocean currents 10 feet off the beach, sneaker waves, wild boars, wild cattle. People die every year from trying to get an ocean spray picture on the rocks. Big wave wipes them off, current pulls em down.

Do not screw around, or let the kids screw around. Ask the lifeguards where it’s safe, stay on the trails, take any warnings seriously, think things through and don’t follow the idiots.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
We typically go to Mexico every winter with the kids, the all inclusive thing was awesome when the kids were little, now that they are a bit older I think a condo/house rental of some sort would be just fine as now they can help out more.

We realize its crazy expensive to go and are budgeting $15-25k for two weeks, obviously the less expensive we can make it the better but also do not want to cheap out if we are making the trip. I have been the hesitant one to go to Hawaii just due to the fact we can make Mexico happen for 4 years compared to once to Hawaii!! This is my wifes dream to take the family there, she did it as a kid and wants to see our kids experience it also.

We love the water and love the beaches, we spend every day while in Mexico either around the pool or on the beach. Of course we will do the typical sight seeing that Hawaii has to offer pending what island we go to.
Then you may wish to island hop.

I’d suggest 3 days on Hawaii big island and see the volcano parks and do the manta snorkel and dolphin swim… then fly to Maui for 6 days for the beaches and stay in Lahaina. Then spend 5 days on Kauai and take in a Luau, see the Jurassic park scenery hike by Princeville and enjoy some beach time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-08-2023, 08:11 PM

It's time those visitors start paying for using our land".

Tourism is the life blood of the islands, how easily they forget, the Golden Goose is suffering as is.

Grizz

Old 04-09-2023, 08:43 AM

Go to Costa Rica
Old 04-09-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Go to Costa Rica
A central American country, without a need for an army ? What's not to like ? Everybody I know, who's been there, recommends it.

Grizz

Old 04-09-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
A central American country, without a need for an army ? What's not to like ? Everybody I know, who's been there, recommends it.

Grizz
It’s like clean unpolluted Mexico with little crime and environmentally minded. Love the place
Old 04-10-2023, 01:52 AM

Currently on the Big Island. Haven’t been for almost 14 years ( celebrated my 40th here). Still quiet. Food has gotten expensive, but there’s a Costco. Glad we still have our timeshare as it’s only costing us about $100 a day in CAD. Roadside food is still the best and not very expensive. Heading to Volcanoes national park tomorrow and doing some exploring.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Currently on the Big Island. Haven’t been for almost 14 years ( celebrated my 40th here). Still quiet. Food has gotten expensive, but there’s a Costco. Glad we still have our timeshare as it’s only costing us about $100 a day in CAD. Roadside food is still the best and not very expensive. Heading to Volcanoes national park tomorrow and doing some exploring.
I suggest doing the guided the hike into the crater if you can and the Sulphur banks hike, right by the visitor center is very sobering, reminded me of Yellowstone, the park. There's a Wallmart as well.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 04-10-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
It’s like clean unpolluted Mexico with little crime and environmentally minded. Love the place
X2
Old 04-10-2023, 09:31 AM

I have been to Kuai, Big Island and Oahu. Have not yet been to Maui, every time I look there prices seem to be just about double any other island.

Kuai was my favorite island, I would not go back to Oahu, watching a surf competition on the North shore was pretty cool though.

There isn't a tonne of things to do on the islands, you can find a few nice hikes and a few nice waterfalls, snorkeling etc, but 2 weeks on one island, unless you are comfortable spending 4 to 5 days just laying on the beach.

For two weeks I would recommend island hopping for sure.

Highlights-
Kuai https://www.kauai.com/kauai-tours/ka...bing-adventure and Waimea canyon hikes.

Ohau - Surf Competition and Diamond head sunrise hike.

Big island (Kona) - https://www.viator.com/tours/Big-Isl...el/d669-8571P1 don't remember what company we use, we had booked the trip through a travel agent so we had the choice of a tour to be included, we picked this manta ray one. Honestly not something I would have just said hey lets go do this. but out of the choices it seemed the best. It was absolutely incredible! I highly recommend doing it. They have 5-8 foot wing span and come right up to the light board you are holding onto. It really is insane.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:15 PM

Love Maui but prices right now are insane, frankly not even close to worth it for those prices.

We spent 3 weeks in South Texas recently (San Antonia Hill Country, Woodlands, Corpus Christi) loved it, great weather, happy people, good ocean.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:29 PM

We have only been once, took our late teen kids to Kona a few years ago, landed the day after the big volcano blow on the Hilo side of the island. Loved Kona, laid back vibe and great snorkeling, we also can recommend the manta ray night dive. Also a close second vote for Cabo.