Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Stupid(?) question about baseball

I don't seem to know anyone who watches baseball on TV so I thought I'd try this forum to answer a question.

I was waiting for a hockey game to start on television and tuned in for a little of a baseball telecast. I was puzzled by the box shown to the right of the batter from the pitcher's perspective. A circle opened with each pitch. I assumed that the box showed the strike zone. However, some circles on or in the box were marked as strikes and some as balls, so that is not it. What is that rectangle?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Are you talking about the Pitch Cast Box? Keeps a running tally of total pitches and where each pitch shows in relation to the strike zone for each series or batter at the plate. Ball, strike, foul. Same one or am I way off?
Old 04-28-2018, 04:20 PM

I think it could be that some balls are called strikes, and some strikes are called balls. So you have ball placement and what it was called.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-28-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the replies.

If I understand correctly, the box shows where the pitch was in reality and also where the umpire called it. If so, there seemed to be quite a few mistakes being made, which confused me. Does the league use this to determine the ability of each umpire to make correct calls and promote/demote accordingly?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM

the above answers are correct, but the pitch cast box is not a perfect science.
You wouldn't call them mistakes either, it's still a judgement call, sometimes in favor of the batter, sometimes the pitcher. as long as the ump is consistent.
And no, they are not used to check on the umpires calls.
The rule in baseball, at that level, is you cannot argue balls and strikes.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the clarifications. I don't know how difficult the umpire's job is. Given that he (she?) is standing still, I would have thought it was easier than hockey or basketball where the officials have to be moving almost constantly. Anyway, now I know.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:18 PM

Another question about baseball, why is it when a pitcher is throwing good and throws one errant ball, he gets replaced by a relief pitcher who loses the game and the original pitcher gets tagged with the loss?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Another question about baseball, why is it when a pitcher is throwing good and throws one errant ball, he gets replaced by a relief pitcher who loses the game and the original pitcher gets tagged with the loss?
Sometimes a pitcher is replaced after he has allowed runners to reach base. He is accountable for those base runners (if they score) and that may have caused the loss of the game. As far as why, or when a pitcher is replaced...That's up to the manager, who can err just as players do.

Last edited by gunluvr; 04-29-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Sometimes it's like a chess game....an opposing batter may have the stats that indicate that he hits this pitcher exceptionally well, or a high average left handed batter is about to face off with a right handed pitcher (LH batters hit RH pitchers better than RH batters. A pinch hitter introduced into the game could cause a change in pitchers. All the opposing batters in the dugout are watching the pitcher and talking about the pitchers delivery, ball speed, types of pitches thrown and they learn from this as the innings progress. A pitcher whose pitches can be predicted by the batters will start to be hit regularly....and of course a pitcher who is being hit regularly, throws too many balls, wild pitches will cause a pitching change.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
The pitcher is responsible for all the runners that reach base while he is pitching. So lets say his team is up 4-2 and he loads the bases. They change him out adn the new pitcher comes in and the first pitch the batter knocks it out. All the runners score but the guy on first scores the go ahead run that makes the score 5-4 even though it is 6-4 with the batter scoring. THe first pitcher at that point has given up the go ahead run so he becomes the pitcher of record.

Now to take it a step further. If the other team scores another 4 runs lets say and the score is 10-4 now. The team comes up to bat and gets 5 runs in the ninth but still loses 10-9. The first pitcher is still the loser because the team was never able to tie the game. Once they tie the game everything reverts to no decision until runs are scored against another pitcher.

Also, a starting pitcher must pitch 5 innings to be eligible for the win. If he doesn't complete that he will not get the win no matter what.

As much as I love hockey and will always hold it at NO.1, there is nothing like the nuances of a well played baseball game. It is the only game that is truly never over until it is over. I don't know who came up with all the distances for bases, mound and such but everything seems to be just right.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 PM

Also you need to remember that some of the circles representing strikes can be from when the hitter swung and missed.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 AM

Correct and keep on mind that most pitches are moving one way or another. Curves, sliders, changeups, cutting fastballs all have movement.

Major league batters feast on straight pitches down the middle.