Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Burn pile...Local farmer

Looking for a farm or ranch that does burn piles when acceptable based on dry/wet weather. I have some business records that need to be destroyed and will compensate to do so...

I am located in SE Calgary (Mohogany) 22x and 52nd street...

I have 8-10 file boxes only right now...not much to burn but shredders are way to expensive....

PM me if you can help me...
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Looking for a farm or ranch that does burn piles when acceptable based on dry/wet weather. I have some business records that need to be destroyed and will compensate to do so...

I am located in SE Calgary (Mohogany) 22x and 52nd street...

I have 8-10 file boxes only right now...not much to burn but shredders are way to expensive....

PM me if you can help me...
FWIW you could go to a commercial shredding company and get that taken care of for less than $100.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
FWIW you could go to a commercial shredding company and get that taken care of for less than $100.
Not likely based on what I priced out
Old 04-28-2018, 09:15 PM

AMA was doing free shredding days at one point.
Not sure if they still do.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
AMA was doing free shredding days at one point.
Not sure if they still do.
I am an AMA member and they will not accept business papers to shred and even personal they only will accept 2 boxes per year...
Old 04-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Banned

If you were in Edmonton, the roofing shingle plant out near refinery row would mulch for free, completely destroying the paper. Not sure if Calgary has a similar plant.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:02 AM

Can’t you just go for a picnic somewhere and have a Wiener roast.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Get a steel drum and some gloves with the fingers cut out of them. Go on a three or four day bender so that you 'look the part'. Set the drum in an alley somewhere and pretend as though you are warming yourself by the burn barrel. If anyone get's too inquisitive, just scream obscenities and crazy talk at them.

(I might do this with blank paper just for fun. If I do, I will let you know where and when)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not likely based on what I priced out
I have a bin at my office from Lethbridge Mobile Shredding that costs $26 a month, they pick and shred.

Before we did that we dropped it off and 2 full boxes was a minimum charge, was only $50 ish.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:48 AM

Take all the paper and dip it in paint so you can't read it. Scatter the paper in a random design somewhere downtown and call it art. Take the cheque.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:54 AM

Brush pile still best way to get rid of large volume of waste material, excellent way to get rid of all your 5 gallon pails of lube oil, sure gets brush pile fire going.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Get a steel drum and some gloves with the fingers cut out of them. Go on a three or four day bender so that you 'look the part'. Set the drum in an alley somewhere and pretend as though you are warming yourself by the burn barrel. If anyone get's too inquisitive, just scream obscenities and crazy talk at them.

(I might do this with blank paper just for fun. If I do, I will let you know where and when)
LOL....
That's funny stuff right there..!!
Old 04-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Seeing as most municipalities are already seeing brush and grass fires, I don’t see too many brush piles being burnt till this fall/winter. Can you wait that long?

The wifey just bought a shredder at Walmart for less than $50, the last one lasted us a half dozen years shredding a banker box full of paper on average each year.

This is a way cheaper alternative IMO.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-29-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

hilarious...
Old 04-29-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Seeing as most municipalities are already seeing brush and grass fires, I don’t see too many brush piles being burnt till this fall/winter. Can you wait that long?

The wifey just bought a shredder at Walmart for less than $50, the last one lasted us a half dozen years shredding a banker box full of paper on average each year.

This is a way cheaper alternative IMO.
Yeah...I am destroying papers that I have to keep for CRA purposes for 7 years...I will buy a shredder for $50 bucks and spend the next week throwing thousands of papers 3 or 4 at a time....Can you say fulltime job for the next week...Thanks but no thanks

I am not dealing with a few pieces of paper through a piece of equipment that takes a few pieces of paper at a time
Old 04-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I am not a BUM
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM

You know what is funny.....This story....

I loaded up boxes of papers to burn in my van to take to my cabin in Montana to burn slowly in my large firepit and the USA boarders agents said no as it was business papers from Canada coming into the States. I told them I have a fire burning permit and still no go...Had to drive back into Canada and drop them into a local recycle bin...20 minute drive from where I just came from....Highway 93.....
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM

I have a thing called a fireplace. Logs fit in it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:09 PM

This is only part of it...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 PM

How about shredding those big red books alone?

Probably an hour or two...LOL
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 PM

Suddenly I'm thinking of the movie "Coming To America" where the one character was copying McDonalds operations manuals to run his very similarly-named burger restaurant.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah...I am destroying papers that I have to keep for CRA purposes for 7 years...I will buy a shredder for $50 bucks and spend the next week throwing thousands of papers 3 or 4 at a time....Can you say fulltime job for the next week...Thanks but no thanks

I am not dealing with a few pieces of paper through a piece of equipment that takes a few pieces of paper at a time
Yup, use one of those shredders at work. 6 sheets at a time and it takes about an hour to do half of one of those boxes I would guess. Not worth your time unless you shred on an ongoing basis.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Suddenly I'm thinking of the movie "Coming To America" where the one character was copying McDonalds operations manuals to run his very similarly-named burger restaurant.
LOL....I have to due dilegence to destroy those manuals...You understand right Caber
Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 PM

In my school days I took great joy in burning my schoolwork at the end of the year.
We burned our garbage in barrells, so I'd put it in there with plenty of diesel.
When it came time to empty the barrels, I'd often find my schoolwork in big and mostly unburnt bundles. The big stacks of paper would only burn around the edges, and the middle would be perfect.
Now, any time I have to burn confidential papers, I do it a few sheets at a time.
It's definitely not faster than shredding, but you can do it in your back yard while enjoying some drinks. (If you're in a lawnchair with a beer, it's not work anymore)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
In my school days I took great joy in burning my schoolwork at the end of the year.
We burned our garbage in barrells, so I'd put it in there with plenty of diesel.
When it came time to empty the barrels, I'd often find my schoolwork in big and mostly unburnt bundles. The big stacks of paper would only burn around the edges, and the middle would be perfect.
Now, any time I have to burn confidential papers, I do it a few sheets at a time.
It's definitely not faster than shredding, but you can do it in your back yard while enjoying some drinks. (If you're in a lawnchair with a beer, it's not work anymore)
This. Burning isn't as simple as just burning unless you've got a incinerator.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Call an FBI and tell them you have an information (dirt) on Trump.... leave the papers in a garage and leave the door open...
Then call cnn, CBC, CNBC and few more. Sit by the window and enjoy the show!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Default havent seen and open burn fire in 20 years

Neighbors used to have laying chickens and they cleaned the pens once a week and burned the straw and crap on a bare piece of dirt weekly.
MD now insists we all using burning barrels with mesh screen tops. We burn paper regularly and as noted above when I dump the barrels in the field annually so the bottoms dont rust out with the wet ashes I often find unburnt paper with readable ads if added in clumps. Dont know of anyone who could stand there for hours feeding a few pages at a time if this was confidential or sensitive material.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM
Banned

AMA just announced their free shredding dates:
https://ama.ab.ca/shredding
Old 04-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Pretty tight company that won't pay the cost of shredding their own material when it needs it. Cost of doing business, if you need a pen PM me and I'll slip you a couple. I burn that much in personal papers in my back yard fire pit every year.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Pretty tight company that won't pay the cost of shredding their own material when it needs it. Cost of doing business, if you need a pen PM me and I'll slip you a couple. I burn that much in personal papers in my back yard fire pit every year.
You have your username backwards...

" Normal Dick"

Thanks for the input as I assume you do not own a business and have no clue
Closed Thread