Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 PM

I drive a 2011 pick up, wife's got a 2015 Acadia slt2, also live in a nice house, work less than half the year, and put More money in savings then all my bills combined! . Don't think because you choose to drive a beater makes you better any one else. They're not your problem, your your problem. Like driving an old truck good for you! Not my problem, so why moan and surmise? Envious? Get a better job where you can enjoy life and still save money. Crazy thought eh. People need to self check around here. Whiny old women.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 PM

if I could afford it I would have a new truck every year. I can not afford a new truck, just new to me. My latest truck was 5 years old when I bought it, (it is a 2007) and it is a joy to drive compared to all my previous trucks.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I drive a 2011 pick up, wife's got a 2015 Acadia slt2, also live in a nice house, work less than half the year, and put More money in savings then all my bills combined! . Don't think because you choose to drive a beater makes you better any one else. They're not your problem, your your problem. Like driving an old truck good for you! Not my problem, so why moan and surmise? Envious? Get a better job where you can enjoy life and still save money. Crazy thought eh. People need to self check around here. Whiny old women.
Hahaha I love this! You've nailed my seniments towards 99%of threads on here
Old 08-07-2015, 09:48 PM

I drive a truck that's 9 years old and I have no interest in getting rid of it anytime soon. I have nothing against people who always have new vehicles if they can afford them but I can't help but think that money would serve them better if it were put towards other uses.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 PM

1998 gmc....had it since high school....I want a new truck but the little beast just won't die.From the money I'd saved on driving the same truck for the last 14 years I'll be able to buy a new truck cash no problem....it's weird because apart of me wants it to die,but deep down if it lasted another 14 years That would give me satisfaction too.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Vehicles lose about 10 grand the instant they roll off the lot. I prefer others to take the depreciation.

Grizz
Actually the depreciation is about 30%...funny how it does not apply to dealerships when they get 1 year leased vehicles back though

FTH
Old 08-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Banned

Can't remember where I read it, but today's cars emit something like 80% less pollution than a car did in 1970. Remember all those hazy clouds of pollution that used to be over big cities like LA in the 70's.

Something to be said for newer vehicles as much as I love the classics.

A new study from the University of Toronto found that one quarter of the cars cause almost all of the pollution. Mainly older and out of tune cars.

Health Canada has drawn links to poor air quality from traffic pollution and several types of health issues; and the Canadian Medical Association chalks up 21,000 premature deaths annually to air pollution.

http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/...ollution-study

So yes, you may be saving some money driving an older vehicle, but you are causing the deaths of up to 21,000 Canadians per year.

Last edited by rugatika; 08-08-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM

I drive a 2013 F150 that will be replaced in 2016 at 250K.
I've had old.
I love new.
Quiet, fuel efficient, great interiors, blue tooth, excellent ride quality and the lack of co2 haze. What's to dislike?
Unless it's a 57 GMC shortbox, with a stroker, like the one I never should have sold. I will stick with new.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
1998 gmc....had it since high school....I want a new truck but the little beast just won't die.From the money I'd saved on driving the same truck for the last 14 years I'll be able to buy a new truck cash no problem....it's weird because apart of me wants it to die,but deep down if it lasted another 14 years That would give me satisfaction too.
I feel about the same, my two current vehicles do not die. I wish the one would so i could buy something else but at the same time i drive by soo many people with hoods up on the highway it would be tough to gamble on another vehicle.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
The 88-98 Gm trucks are the best trucks they ever built. My 97 I've owned since new has 350k on it, doesn't burn or leak a drop. I'm proud to drive it. The new stuff is just fancy junk.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Have NEVER made a car payment and never will. If I couldn't pay cash theme i couldn't afford the car. . Started with20- 30 year old vehicles when I was a kid and learned to fix whatever needed fixing myself. I don't do trannies, but then I have never had one go either. For quite a few years would buy vehicles privately pr at the auction, do a little fixing and polishing drive them up to 6 months or so and re-sell at a profit. Even imported vehicles from Europe and resold them here for a while back in the early 80s during the first European gas shock. Made some real good money buying gas guzzlers cheap and reselling them here. Money saved and made selling cars let me buy fairly new ones for cash.

Have gone through a lot of vehicles over the years but the last number of years haven't had the time for buying and selling. Now I buy them 3 to 5 years old and sell them when they start to get high miled. Most went well over 300,000 klms before I sold them, still in perfect running condition.

Still driving old vehicles. Wife drives a 92 4Runner in mint shape, 130,000 KLM that was bought new by my brother and we bought it off him in 98. Weekend rig is a show room new 96 Dodge V10 4x4 with 200,000 Klms to pull my 1993 fishing boat and carry the 2000 Honda quad out hunting. My daily driver is a 2006 bought in 2009 with 40,000 KLms for 30% of what it cost new, now with 120,000 klms.

The amount of money a person saves by not paying interest or eating big dollars of depreciation and by doing 90% of your own maintenance and repairs is absolutely staggering.

Anyone that tells you you need to drive new cars all the time and make big payments is either a car salesman or someone that will retire broke.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:38 PM

My wife drives a 2008 Honda Pilot that we bought when it was a three year old lease return with 35,000 kilometres on it and in excellent shape. We saved approximately $20,000 over the new price. It's still in excellent shape and now has 102,000 kms on it.

Last year we were thinking on buying a new one for no real reason. We drove down to Edmonton and took basically the same new vehicle out for a test drive. It was nice, but not $45,000 nicer than the one we drove to the lot in.

Still, we left the lot in our Pilot and told the salesman that we were going to go have dinner while we thought it over. We pulled into a parking spot and were just sitting there talking when a young woman walked up to the vehicle parked to the right of ours and swung the door of her truck wide open, striking the passenger door of our Pilot leaving a small dent in it. My wife lowered her side window and proceeded to tell the young lady what she thought of her. After apologizing profusely the young lady drove away quite red faced.

A couple minutes later a guy pulls into the exact same spot and swings the door of his truck wide open striking the same door on our Pilot. Before we could say anything the guy starts to apologize. My wife is like, "Don't worry about it buddy". Two door dings in ten minutes.

We had dinner and then called the dealership and told them it was a no go on the new Pilot. The thing hasn't given us a lick of problems and is probably good for another 250,000 kms so why would I pay an additional $45,000 for something that some idiot is just going to open his/her door into.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The 88-98 Gm trucks are the best trucks they ever built. My 97 I've owned since new has 350k on it, doesn't burn or leak a drop. I'm proud to drive it. The new stuff is just fancy junk.
+1 ... I owned a 92 and a 95 ... the 95 is still going with over 500 thousand ... just talked to the owner day before yesterday.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:53 PM

20,000 + deaths from air pollution? Sure, but it isnt all cars..factories, ships, airplanes all emit tons of crap. How many old cars are still on the roads? Seeing stuff even from the 80s is very rare, and saying driving a 98 gmc is helping kill others is just bizarre and hypocitical, unless your only ride is a bicycle