Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Just driving past the local dealers today, decided vehicles have become so expensive, only way to drive one is lease it and then dealers only dare advertise the cost in "biweekly" payments. Just the wheels are worth so much money, people have been stealing them right off vehicles on the the lots here. Something very wrong here. A vehicle should be dependable, functional and affordable. Haven't seen one that fits that bill in a long time.

Grizz
Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Bought my 98 F 150 in 2000 and paid it off in 2005. Haven't had a car payment 10 yrs. My dad gave me his 85 delta 88 in 1997 and I drove that when commuting right up until 2010. Obviously have had to put some money into the truck but I'd rather spend a grand a year than drop 40k in one shot, although that day will come. I hate assets that depreciate as fast as vehicles,but you have to have one.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Banned

I'm planning to drive my `93 Dodge W250 with 12v Cummins until either the truck or I die.
Besides, diesel smoke is a great way to communicate with tailgaters.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM

Meh, I feel bad driving my beater 1997 Camry to the refinery some days to park in a sea of trucks, but then I notice every one of them has dings and scrapes that would drive me nuts if I had paid 60K for the thing. My car has no rust and burns no oil at 285K, and I honestly could care less if it gets more superficial damage.

That being said, I would love a new truck to be able to pull a car hauler, just don't want to pay for it!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Banned

Some people are attached to vehicles, whether it be memories or good times had. It is funny in a sense that the whole notion of weather you have money or not dictates what you drive, not always the case but usually is.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 PM

I really think its more of a "keeping up with the Jones's" kind of thing.

I was thinking of replacing my Ranger that's about to roll over 200 as its starting to get its little hiccups. But then I look at new vehicles with all the electronics and unnecessary crap that they are putting into them to make it seem like you are a hazard on the road to others and yourself if you don't have it, and I realize that 10 years from now when all these things you cant live without start breaking and it costs you thousand of dollars to fix, so know one will do it. There is going to be a ton of crap driving around with nothing in it that actually works.

I don't think I will be replacing the ranger for a while
Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 PM

I think if you grew up driving junk that had to be fixed every time you left the yard,You might be more inclined to drive a new one as soon as you could afford it.They last longer with less maintenance.The down side is the initial cost and if they ever quit on the side of the road theres no point opening the hood cause you usually cant do anything about it on the side of the road like you could with the old ones.If they had spark ,fuel and air they ran.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
It seems like it is almost taboo or socially unnacceptable to drive something that isnt new or near new.
That's just a bs generalization. Things have been good for awhile so people are driving nice vehicles. Might change the next little while but why do you care? Maybe you need new friends if your k car is getting frowny faces
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM

I drive a 2012 tdi jetta that i bought last march for 21000. After never owning a vehicle newer than a 98 yukon, it feels like it was well worth it. 50000kms put on it that time without an issue. The 46ish mpg im averaging sure helps!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 PM

I must be a social outcast as I am looking for an 85' era Silverado.
Currently driving a 96', 97' and 04' trucks. The doors can fall off the 97' for all I care.
It works for my life. Someone else wants to tell me what to drive then they can pay for it.
In the end, all cars end up in the crusher.

Except for a pinto of course.

We are entering into an era where people don't know how to fix their own ride.
So when it finally has a 4th bill for $1000 they freak and buy a new one.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Vehicles seem to be the way to tell the world that you have wealth.

But,When I see a new vehicle I never assume that that person has money- But a very good chance they have DEBT.
It should be mandatory to post the balance owing on the hood.

Now-that would impress me!!

A sign of true wealth is driving my old F150 around.... That 400M gets 8mpg gas and 20mpg oil city or hiway...

Let's see a new car beat that :-p

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 08-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I've never bought a new vehicle, but I must say the 0% financing on some have gotten me interested.

My truck is an F-250 Superduty with the 3v V10. Best truck I've ever owned. I bought it 2nd hand in 2009 and at the advice of the members here I changed out plugs, fuel filter, and all fluids. Almost 100K later, the only thing it has cost me is a new battery and oil pressure switch (needed the tranny flushed last year anyway.)

Funny thing is both my wife and I have been approached by people when driving the truck asking us if we are interested in selling it. A mechanic next to the car wash I was at even gave me his card asking me to call him first if/when I decide to sell it.

Is there something I don't know about this truck/engine? It's been a great vehicle, but are they supposed to be totally bullet proof or something? Makes me want to keep my truck even longer
No such thing as 0 %.
The interest is added in the sale price
Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I must be a social outcast as I am looking for an 85' era Silverado.
Currently driving a 96', 97' and 04' trucks. The doors can fall off the 97' for all I care.
It works for my life. Someone else wants to tell me what to drive then they can pay for it.
In the end, all cars end up in the crusher.

Except for a pinto of course.

In the O&G there are places that will not hire your truck on if over a certain age.
I've worked places that the Inspectors truck can be no older than one year. Foreman's tuck no older than two years & equipment operators trucks no older than five years.
Had one inspector in southern AB that would not hire on my two year old truck & I'm an operator. Told him if that was the case I'd have to charge over $500.00/day if that was the case !

Quote:
If I had done that my car would have been gone a very long time ago !
I have way more than a new car would have cost into mine !
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 AM

My favorite is the people who try to justify it though slighty better MPG and no repairs/warranty.

Unless your are driving an absolute lemon, or a tank getting 8mpg, 99% of people will never come even close to making up the difference on a new 4x4 payment.

My old man had one of these plate backers that he would transfer between his "good buy" used trucks back in the day. Something to be said for owning what you drive!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame%20Dont%20Laugh.jpg (123.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Default Every Time You Drive It Your Making Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
My favorite is the people who try to justify it though slighty better MPG and no repairs/warranty.

Unless your are driving an absolute lemon, or a tank getting 8mpg, 99% of people will never come even close to making up the difference on a new 4x4 payment.

My old man had one of these plate backers that he would transfer between his "good buy" used trucks back in the day. Something to be said for owning what you drive!!

Exactly, and i would add this: EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE IT YOUR MAKING MONEY

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Funny thing is both my wife and I have been approached by people when driving the truck asking us if we are interested in selling it. A mechanic next to the car wash I was at even gave me his card asking me to call him first if/when I decide to sell it.
I get that quite a bit with my 2001 Ram 2500 (24v Cummins, 6 speed manual). The thing is pushing 500000km and still going strong. I spent a few grand on it 3 years ago getting it "modernized' with the in tank fuel pump and a few other things. Just took it up to northern Sask hauling a decent load and it didn't miss a beat. Love that truck!

The wife on the other hand, likes her vehicles with the new car smell...
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM

I bought a 70's ford and I thought that was new at the time compared to my other vehicles. Also got a mid nineties import suv. I have driven by many newer vehicles with the hood up on the road. Co workers seems to always have stories to tell about their vehicles. Electronics going wrong, bumps and scratches, expensive service bills to keep warranty. They have to make payments on these vehicles.... some one had a car hailed on that was only half paid for.

I always likened it to the story of alberta, some one gets a higher paying job and wam, go buy a pickup,haha, there are people at work not even finished probation that buy 60k+ vehicles while renting basement suites etc because they just moved here.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM

We recently bought a brand new Subaru Forester for the wife. First new vehicle I've ever bought. I think it's worth it. She doesn't know anything about fixing vehicles and we have a 1 year old so the dependability is a big factor. It also scores the highest in cash test ratings of any comparable SUV. That sort of thing matters to me for the vehicle that is going to carry my wife and child. I drive a company owned truck so don't have a vehicle. If I needed one though it would definitely be used and paid for. My old Blazer was nice because pick n pull always had about a dozen of them at any given time so repairs were cheap cheap cheap.

If anyone thinks vehicles = wealth you are an idiot. My dad was a VP at a multi billion dollar oil company. Made more money than probably 99.9% of the big shots you see in luxury vehicles and jacked up trucks. He drove 3 Subaru Outbacks (bought new, would sell at 200 k km) and is still working on a FJ Cruiser. Nothing fancy, just a practical vehicle.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
No such thing as 0 %.
The interest is added in the sale price
Good point. Although there are times when "true 0%" offers come out (not inflating sale price to get the 0% offer). I've gone on the KIA "build and price" website and the 0% financing is only a few hundred more than the cash purchase price. Not like that with Ford, unfortunately
Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 AM

I have had used and new over the years, I got tired of twisting wrenches on used ones. Last two have been new, one went 17 yrs, this one is 6 yrs at present. They are a terrible initial investment from a spending perspective.
But, as long as they run with only normal wear and tear maintenance, tires, shocks, brakes and a very occasional tuneup, I prefer that to someone's hidden issues in a used one.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Haven't bought a new vehicle in 40 years, and never will. Haven't had payments in 40 years either. I often spend less in a year on required maintenance then others do who have to take it to the dealership to maintain the warranty.

You do the math.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I have had used and new over the years, I got tired of twisting wrenches on used ones. Last two have been new, one went 17 yrs, this one is 6 yrs at present. They are a terrible initial investment from a spending perspective.
But, as long as they run with only normal wear and tear maintenance, tires, shocks, brakes and a very occasional tuneup, I prefer that to someone's hidden issues in a used one.
I remember reading a consumers reports thing several years ago that said if you keep a new vehicle for 10 years or more (assuming average km's...I think it was around 25 or 30,000km a year), it pays to buy new, otherwise you should buy slightly used.

I buy new (for work) and put on about 80,000km a year and keep my vehicles for 3 to 5 years usually...depending on the headaches that start mounting.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Haven't bought a new vehicle in 40 years, and never will. Haven't had payments in 40 years either. I often spend less in a year on required maintenance then others do who have to take it to the dealership to maintain the warranty.

You do the math.
Me too, never bought a new rig and never will. And I have 40 years of driving under my belt.
I have a 2005 Ford expedition ex D.O.T. wagon -127,000 K and an 89 Silverado-123,000 K. Total cost is $6500 for the pair. They run and look great.
I have no mortgage now either. My friend has almost $100 k in 2 rigs. He will be 90 years old by the time he pays them and his house off.
Shop smart and spend the money on important things, like a roof over your head. Debt free is a wonderfull thing.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Default old rides.

Ah the saying goes , if it's got tit's or tires on it your gonna have trouble. But I still drive, but not much though,my 94 12valve cummins, bought it new and she's only got 130,000km. or 85 thous.mi. Original paint , totally mint shape,with a few mod's. she's a trailer pulling queen and never winter driven. I never thought I'd own a vehicle that long(21 yrs.) been a great truck , still got the original rear break shoes, great mileage, stinky, noisey, a truck with attitude, and love no vehicle debt. Been retired for 3 yrs. now and i'll keep her till she dies or I die, then the wifes bro will probably still drive it. Also drive a 99Dakota 5.2 mag.v8 4x4, my coyote hunting rig 180,000km. also not for sale.The wife lucked out & picked up a2000, Grand Am SE loaded,from a friend whose mom sadly past away , 65,000 orig. mi. one owner, mint for $2500 after we sold the wifes previous car. Where you gonna but an almost new car for $2500, who cares if it's 15 yrs. old. People can drive new and be broke but I like mint older stuff and no payments, just my take, sorry for the long post.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned

Bought new in 04 ... 55000 klik's now ... gonna keep the old Dodge ... alot less electrical gadjit's and crap a person don't need to fix later .

Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

I too prefer to buy older vehicles in good shape and keep them that way.
Current Vehicles
99 Ford paid 7300 about 7 years ago. Big expense, tranny last year 2800.00

1986 Motorhome 7500 also 7 years. Big expense 1700 for front end but included new battery and 2 new tires.

2001 Polaris Sled 2500 three years ago 1200 km on it. No big expense.

1990 18' Sylvan boat with 115 Mariner Paid 11K in 1995. Big expense power trim 1000, bottom end bearing, 800

All are in good running order and all paid for quite a few years ago.

Total Cost with expenses for Truck, Motorhome, Boat and Sled about 35K. Buy what ever you are happy with. It has never really concerned me to much with what people spend their money on, or how much they spend, I only concern myself with what I want and spend.

Someone once told me there are two kinds of people in the world, those that cant wait to tell you how much they paid for something, and those that cant wait to tell you how little they paid.

We did buy a new Pontoon boat 4 years ago which we are probably going to sell, as we haven't used it the last couple years since the Father in Law passed away.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:40 PM

I still own the first truck I ever bought (was already 7 yrs old at the time), a mid 80s F150. Converted it to propane and it has been running great ever since. Easy to work on and simple. Doesn't have overly high mileage for the year, just over 300K, but the body is pretty much done. I just can't seem to kill it, lol.

I usually get a lot of flack when I drive it but those people seem to change their tune when they need help moving or something taken to the dump.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 PM

I know the feeling, I drive a VERY clean/runs like new 1998 GMC and I am still clinging on to the love of my life that is my 1985 short box GMC. I could care less what others think about my babies lol I feel safer in my oldies than in a newer "PLEASE NOTICE ME" truck complete with it's hardcore blind spots. Old vehicles have stories and character The Joneses never gave me the time of day, so I choose not to keep up with them ;-)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM

My summer vehicle is a 1976 F-250 4X4. I would drive it year round but the salt would destroy it. My other vehicle is a 2004 F-150. Looking to replace it with a 1995 - 1997 Ford F350 CrewCab Powerstroke. Anybody know where one is that is in decent shape for sale?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

My newest vehicle is a 2008 Skidoo Skandic SUV which I bought used from an exploration company last winter. It replaced my 1995 Skandic.

Other than that I drive a 1998 diesel Suburban and a 1993 diesel Range Rover. Keep fixing them as required and don't have an monthly payments on them.