Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Truthfully they aren't too handy to carry and bush hunting I wouldn't bother but Hunting off a stand would work fine. I'm thinking of them mostly for gun ranges, we need to do everything we can to make ranges more friendly for the neighbours.
Have you used one in the bush?
I've got friends who are professional deer stalkers and they often hunt in bush so thick they are shooting the deer at less than 10m. They ALL use suppressors. All the time. Because it's their job. They are carrying them for miles across all terrain. Oh and to be a deer hunter in Europe you have to pass practical exams to show your stalking skills.
My 308 with 16" barrel with the suppressor was less in length than a 20" barrel non suppressed rifle. The sako fin light is a perfect example. They do the threaded 16" version for the European market.

And for the criminal use issue. If criminals want to use them they could easily do so today. Just like they get their guns illegally.
And suppressors in Europe are actually pretty cheap. The USA they are expensive because of the $200 tax. So the market caters for the very high end as the mentality is I'm not going to waste a $200 on a $100 suppressor. But $200 on a $800 one is ok. Twisted logic I know but a friend manufactures them and that's exactly the reasoning they use for their prices and products.

Rimfire ones in Europe can be less than $50. And a good centre fire one $200 or so.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

FWIW, my brother is a LEO and a member of the tactical squad. He has taken sniper training and has a really, really, nice sniper rifle. He just informed me they now have suppressors on them. I can't wait to shoot it this summer and see how much it lowers the noise of a .308 I doubt it would be enough to allow me to remove my hearing protection under the roof over our shooting stands at the range. But it might allow you to do so out in the open. I guess we'll find out.
I'm not singling you out, just borrowing your phrasing.
Folks need to know how loud firearms are still with a suppressor on them. There is no application of the term "silencer" when referring to these devices. They just muffle a portion of the muzzle blast, only a portion. They do nothing for the supersonic crack the projectile makes flying through the air.
The only way to lose that part is to use sub-sonic ammunition - it flies slower than the speed of sound barrier. Hence no CRACK sound. It also drops like a rock. I bought a .300 Blackout Rem SPS. The normal ammunition was fine, very accurrate. The subsonic dropped 14-16" at 100 yds over the POI from normal ammunition. At 200 yards, I couldn't even put it on the target board, much less the target.
The biggest complaint against Firing Ranges is the noise from the neighbours. Generally whom bought the property long after the range was founded. Their constant complaints get the range closed.Suppressors would lessen the firearms signature noise and reduce complaints.
I'd sure like to use them at the range, couldn't see myself using one while hunting. Possible exception of using a .22 on small game while scouting big game so as not to spook it. As a non-criminal, criminal record free citizen, I'd sure like to be able to choose what legal device/firearm I use. The criminals sure don't ask.
I can be trusted to drive a vehicle that weigh 90,000 lbs past a school full of little kids, but can't be trusted to safely use a firearm in the woods?
c'mon. RED cars kill more people in a month than firearms do in a year. How about we ban RED cars. For the sake of the children?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM

Their is a lot of miss information, and poor info, in this thread,
Seen as I own a few rifles in another country with suspressor's. They can not silence a super sonic noise, I think, the reduction in noise is about 20-30 db,
They add length to the barrel, and unless you chop and shorten the rifle, unbalance it sum what. Depending on the rifle and type of country, I may or may not use one.
Any noise reduction is helpful from a hearing safety point, and also around stock, homes and dwelings,

I am adding a thread, from early this year, as the rifle used was a Finlight fitted with a DPT suspressor.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=zealand
Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 PM

They could make them legal!! but NOT for hunting big game and birds just cause I think that's cheating!!

Just my opinion
Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant12hony View Post
They could make them legal!! but NOT for hunting big game and birds just cause I think that's cheating!!

Just my opinion
How is it cheating?
Most big game is taken with one shot. It's not a military operation laying down covering fire.
The animal is hit by the bullet way before the sound reaches them. And the first sound to reach them would be the supersonic crack which remains anyway.

Uneducated statements like this are what antis use. They speak of something of which they know little.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

that couple living south of the Sherwood park fish and game range would have nothing to complain about it we could use these, never mind the fact that the SPFG range was up and running long before they purchased the land they are now on.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up BOOM! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
that couple living south of the Sherwood park fish and game range would have nothing to complain about it we could use these, never mind the fact that the SPFG range was up and running long before they purchased the land they are now on.
That is so right trooper!!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think there are a few things to fight for before suppressors. And I have to admit I've never heard "noise" as being one of the issues gun-control advocates trot out.

I also suspect police and F&W officers appreciate being able to hear shots and where they might be coming from. Supressors would have many useful legitimate purposes, but there's no denying poachers would love them.

In short, not losing any sleep over not being able to buy one.
I agree with you. There are a lot of PAL and basic firearms issues that need attention before this tempest in a tea pot should be looked at. A waste of time for little benefit.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Little benefit

It's not little benefit. If we could double the number of ranges in the province that would be a benefit for hunters and we'd see these messes in the bush by thoughtless shooters lessened too. That would be a benefit to our reputation
Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
I'm not singling you out, just borrowing your phrasing.
Folks need to know how loud firearms are still with a suppressor on them. There is no application of the term "silencer" when referring to these devices. They just muffle a portion of the muzzle blast, only a portion. They do nothing for the supersonic crack the projectile makes flying through the air.
The only way to lose that part is to use sub-sonic ammunition - it flies slower than the speed of sound barrier. Hence no CRACK sound. It also drops like a rock. I bought a .300 Blackout Rem SPS. The normal ammunition was fine, very accurrate. The subsonic dropped 14-16" at 100 yds over the POI from normal ammunition. At 200 yards, I couldn't even put it on the target board, much less the target.
The biggest complaint against Firing Ranges is the noise from the neighbours. Generally whom bought the property long after the range was founded. Their constant complaints get the range closed.Suppressors would lessen the firearms signature noise and reduce complaints.
I'd sure like to use them at the range, couldn't see myself using one while hunting. Possible exception of using a .22 on small game while scouting big game so as not to spook it. As a non-criminal, criminal record free citizen, I'd sure like to be able to choose what legal device/firearm I use. The criminals sure don't ask.
I can be trusted to drive a vehicle that weigh 90,000 lbs past a school full of little kids, but can't be trusted to safely use a firearm in the woods?
c'mon. RED cars kill more people in a month than firearms do in a year. How about we ban RED cars. For the sake of the children?
Well said. Agree
Old 09-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It's not little benefit. If we could double the number of ranges in the province that would be a benefit for hunters and we'd see these messes in the bush by thoughtless shooters lessened too. That would be a benefit to our reputation
Never mind anyone else. Think of yourself.

Every single time you fire a centre fire rifle you are damaging your hearing. It doesn't matter if you use the best peltor ear muffs and double plug. You are still damaging your hearing.
Many centre fire rifles are over 170db. The best muff on offer in a perfect world do at best 40db. 130db is still damaging your hearing. And because most of us have hair and not perfect smooth skin the seal isn't perfect. So probably more like 30db at best.
The ONLY way to bring centre fire rifles into safe range is with the use of suppressors.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up Yes for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Never mind anyone else. Think of yourself.

Every single time you fire a centre fire rifle you are damaging your hearing. It doesn't matter if you use the best peltor ear muffs and double plug. You are still damaging your hearing.
Many centre fire rifles are over 170db. The best muff on offer in a perfect world do at best 40db. 130db is still damaging your hearing. And because most of us have hair and not perfect smooth skin the seal isn't perfect. So probably more like 30db at best.
The ONLY way to bring centre fire rifles into safe range is with the use of suppressors.
I did not have muffs on or plugs when i used the two rifles i shot 243 win & 7mm it was friggen!! great! loved it. Its just a great tool for shooting Canada needs to and bring in the suppressors.