Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 06:02 AM

Default Any blackpowder enthusiasts?

Bought a .54 T/C Renegade last year, too late to hunt with but got to shoot it a bit. My plan was to make my own powder and ball,and hunt with it. I've made both, but my mold drops slightly oversized ball for my rifle. I can load the first one, but after that its too tight. I was hoping to find thinner patch material to try, before buying a new mold. Anyone know where I might source such a thing?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:35 AM

Well I would just put a patch down the barrel with some cleaner on it! I also had a TC .54cal Hawken. and after the first shot it would be hard to push a ball down the barrel. Which size of patch are you using?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:47 AM

You need to determine what size of patch/ ball combination works best for your barrel, and as badbrass stated, start with a clean barrel!
Also, the the of patch lube is very important as well.
I have shot all types of BP rifles and shotguns for many years, PM me if you prefer to ask any questions that way
Cat
Old 04-17-2024, 07:04 AM

I'm using prelubed patches, I believe they are CVA .015 thickness. I always start with a clean barrel but I'd like to be able to load at least a few times without cleaning, just for hunting situations. This is all new to me, back in the day I shot sabots/jacketed bullets, so all advice is appreciated. Going to work on making my powder cleaner and faster too,. I did buy some Hornady balls and they load fine, and they do measure a bit smaller than my own cast.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:04 AM

Are you close to Lloyd?

I have an assortment of .54 balls patch's and bullets to try, you might consider a Lee REAL bullet mold they load easily with no patch.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:53 AM

If you want the gun to shoot a whole bunch better get some Goex or Swede FFG and try that out. My bet is you will be able to get at least a half dozen shots before you need to wet patch the barrel to clean the residue. Home made powder is really dirty and very inefficient.in cold weather, windshield washer fluid makes a good wet patch for cleaning.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:21 PM

Not many places stock Patch’s or anything much for .54 cal Rusty wood has the best selection shipping is pricey or you can go to the fabric store with a caliper look for some cotton pillow ticking hard to find these days
Old 04-17-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Are you close to Lloyd?

I have an assortment of .54 balls patch's and bullets to try, you might consider a Lee REAL bullet mold they load easily with no patch.
Thanks! Not too far away, out by St.Paul. The REAL bullet looked interesting,wasn't sure if it was just a gimmick or not but sounds like it's worth trying.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:14 PM

If you get to Llloyd I’ll give some to try I use the 300 grain, the bullet is tapered slides in easily to fit seals on the top band
Old 04-17-2024, 02:52 PM

I shoot the same gun. Not many options here in Canada for .54. I found that everything here in Canada is geared for .50. I had some luck with Prophet River and Eagle Firearms for a few items.

You will have to look to the USA for most of your supplies. Track of the Wolf with have every thickness of patch (.005/.010/.015) you need and everything else for your .54.

If you do shoot Sabots, stick with Hornady. I have found that Hornady are just a bit smaller than Barnes. I find Barnes are really tight to get down the barrel.

DO you have a manual for the gun? It took me a while but did find one online.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:18 PM

Go to fabric land take a caliper with you look for heavy denim 100% cotton, get some different thickness pieces. And water with murphy oil soap or just plain water will work as patch lube the less crap in the patch the better it will shoot , my rifles shoot best with a very tight patch and can handle heavy powder charge,

, go out bench the gun try 50 grain charges of both 2 f and 3 f and all the different patchs at 50 yards you will see what works and what doesn't. That gives you a start
Old 04-17-2024, 05:46 PM

My .54 fainter shoots best with a .535ball, my son's plains rifle shoots better with a .530
With appropriately sized patches of course
Cat
Old 04-17-2024, 05:52 PM

Thanks guys, I have somewhere to start now at least. With the weather improving and work slowing down, I expect I'll get a chance to shoot again pretty soon. Will take the suggestions and see what I can find for patch material around here, and need to work on my powder as well.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:20 PM

A black powder shoot out at Camrose this coming weekend.