Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM

Default Why do we not introduce Panfish to Alberta ?

I've always wondered about this.... It seems like so many people pee-pee their pants when they hear about a lake that has Perch or sunfish or something like that in it. I don't get it.

Why not have a bunch of Panfish in a body of water like say, McGregor or Crawling Valley ? What's wrong with a bunch of sunfish or rock bass being introduced to one of those lakes ?

I think Introducing panfish into a place like Crawling Valley would absolutely make the fish population explode with big healthy fish. I think it would at least help if they actually had OTHER fish to eat (besides each other...)!
How many of us have caught PIKE and WALLEYE with nothing but 'snails, shrimp and Water Bugs in their gut ? How many have eaten a legal Walleye out of Travers and find that it tastes MUDDY ? That's what happens when the fish aren't eating other fish and are instead, eating things that crawl along the bottom. Crayfish anyone ?

I remember seeing someone post something about how ravenous Perch are and how they eat everything in sight and how that ultimately destroys a fishery ! What a bunch o' Crapola ! The perch and sunfish eat the shrimp and multiply by the zillions and the bigger fish like PIKE and WALLEYE eat the many, many Perch / sunfish and get nice and big and FAT much quicker than when eating 'just' the shrimp and water bugs !
I don't know how many times I pulled a Pike into the boat outta CV over the last number of years that looked like it had the freakin' Plague ! Damn, those summer PIKE can get stinky and UGLY. Those are NOT healthy fish by any stretch !

I mean what happened to all the Kick-ASS rainbows that used to be in CV ? At one time is was 'arguably' the BEST trout fishery in Southern Alberta ! They're gone because they were EATEN, not 'just' over fished. IMO, I would consider CV to be a 'continual' declining fishery as a result of NOT having SMALLER fish for the BIGGER fish to eat. I would also say that last week's tournament was a good indication of how bad it has gotten at CV.

I don't understand how anyone can think that a body of water will do well as a fishery when the only 2 species (basically) HAVE to CONTINUALLY feed upon themselves and each other. Introduce some nice pan-fish into that body of water and watch it take off....

Just my 0.2 cents,

Cheers,

/FC.....
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM

Seen perch on the cam at CV on weekend. Had one take a swip at hook but couldnt bring it in. Also seen perch in the stomach of pike we caught at CV. Theres also whitefish and suckers in there for pike to eat. I would guess theres a few diff types minnows also.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Big.Bear

Quote:
I don't understand how anyone can think that a body of water will do well as a fishery when the only 2 species (basically) HAVE to CONTINUALLY feed upon themselves and each other. Introduce some nice pan-fish into that body of water and watch it take off....
Its not as easy as some think, you cannot just stock a lake and let it bloom. It takes biologists doing research on the lake before anything can happen. Starts with the kind of fish they want to stock, what is that species main food source, what is the food source of the species that the stocked fish is eating and so on. I know this as back in B.C. I participated in allot of study's of the local lakes and creeks. For one example, Ten Mile lake back home had the go ahead to stock Kokanee, and there were already Rainbows in the lake. They did allot of studying before that was given the go ahead and had a huge vote on if people even wanted Kokanee in the lake. If you put a fish in a lake that thrives on a certain insect and say that insect helped control the algae growth then you would have an algae problem. Simple things like that. I am good friends with a biologist back home and learned allot about this and have also taken a few courses at the college back home about this subject. That is why if a person is caught illegally stocking a lake with a foreign species then the fines can be large.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 AM

FloppyChicken, is your rant based on any actual scientific knowledge? To me it displays a lack of actual biological knowledge of eco systems.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 AM

Rabbits worked out real well introduced to Australia and game ranching here gave us CWD.Every time man plays GOD he screws things up.If they arn't here already they're not supposed to be......................Harold
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Man am I sick of the arm chair biology and posts here. To the mods here I respectfully ask for consideration of a possible General Fishing Discussion and Fish Reports Told Here. There are a lot of members here, it is a busy board.

Floppy not picking on you at all. You have some good fishing stories yourself. I look forwards to reading another in the future.

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
I've always wondered about this.... It seems like so many people pee-pee their pants when they hear about a lake that has Perch or sunfish or something like that in it. I don't get it.

Why not have a bunch of Panfish in a body of water like say, McGregor or Crawling Valley ? What's wrong with a bunch of sunfish or rock bass being introduced to one of those lakes ? Problem with sunfish or rock bass is that they may be too successful do more harm then good. Illegal stocking of perch in Alberta and bass and perch in BC has proven that this type of stocking is not successful. In Alberta where we have a pike/walleye/burbot fishery with no minnows or perch may need study to show if introducing perch would add some prey items on the larger predators menu. Anyways...I would definitely not advocate stocking non native fish species especially when they are not present in the drainage system and can escape into the rest of Alberta. Put them in one lake and bucket biologists may move them around further without restrictions.

I think Introducing panfish into a place like Crawling Valley would absolutely make the fish population explode with big healthy fish. I think it would at least help if they actually had OTHER fish to eat (besides each other...)!
How many of us have caught PIKE and WALLEYE with nothing but 'snails, shrimp and Water Bugs in their gut ? How many have eaten a legal Walleye out of Travers and find that it tastes MUDDY ? That's what happens when the fish aren't eating other fish and are instead, eating things that crawl along the bottom. Crayfish anyone ? Crayfish can be very damaging and impacts within Alberta not clearly understood. Stocking crayfish is not a good thing to do and only trained government biologists should even consider such a thing with very detailed studies prior to the decision.

I remember seeing someone post something about how ravenous Perch are and how they eat everything in sight and how that ultimately destroys a fishery ! What a bunch o' Crapola ! People were referring to when perch are introduced without a predator to control them. You may not have noted that point. The perch and sunfish eat the shrimp and multiply by the zillions and the bigger fish like PIKE and WALLEYE eat the many, many Perch / sunfish and get nice and big and FAT much quicker than when eating 'just' the shrimp and water bugs ! Having fish as a potential food source does allow predator fish to grow bigger. Illegal stocking of minnows and or pan fish does not guarantee success and can in fact destroy the fishery via introduced parasites, disease etc. Sounds like in an earlier post that there are perch here in CV already
I don't know how many times I pulled a Pike into the boat outta CV over the last number of years that looked like it had the freakin' Plague ! Damn, those summer PIKE can get stinky and UGLY. Those are NOT healthy fish by any stretch ! Not sure your point here. I always found pike fine in the summer but better eating in the winter
I mean what happened to all the Kick-ASS rainbows that used to be in CV ? When a reservoir is first filled they are very, very productive. After a time all those nutrients get flushed away. There is a massive explosion of growth for stocked fish and that is why CV was first stocked with trout. After a while the naturally present fish take over and predators like pike eat trout and therefore not worth stocking any more. It was a stocked put and take lake and as such overfishing was not a problem...nature took it's course.At one time is was 'arguably' the BEST trout fishery in Southern Alberta ! They're gone because they were EATEN, not 'just' over fished They were just no longer stocked. IMO, I would consider CV to be a 'continual' declining fishery as a result of NOT having SMALLER fish for the BIGGER fish to eat. I would also say that last week's tournament was a good indication of how bad it has gotten at CV. Fishery management is everyone's responsibility to provide feedback to fish and wildlife. Sometimes anecdotyl information such as declining catch rates can cause the problem to be reviewed and hopefully corrected. Rather than just post your concerns here I trust you are being proactive and contacting your MLA.

I don't understand how anyone can think that a body of water will do well as a fishery when the only 2 species (basically) HAVE to CONTINUALLY feed upon themselves and each other. Introduce some nice pan-fish into that body of water and watch it take off....Sounds like perch are already in the system. Maybe there is still time required for perch to establish themselves as a food source. Maybe they were illegally stocked and have disease problems or something.

Just my 0.2 cents,

Cheers,

/FC.....
I put in some thoughts in red above.

Cheers

Sun
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Man, just finished a survey on a government proposal to spend more money to get non-native fish OUT of certain bodies of water, and you want to introduce new ones?

Might be fun to fish all different kinds of fish, but the realistic choice is to take a vacation to their native spots to do it, not bring them here.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Muskies...anyone?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Tiger Muskies 1/2 pike -1/2 Musky------------matures fast and is sterile..Harold
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM

i think we have lots of small ponds here that are not open to moving water so that theory could be tested out....again the only drawback as usual is people moving fish around...fish will eat what there taught to eat from a young age so if you take a pond and put young walleye in it and you introduce say sunfish fry to the water,what they are programed to eat and what they only know to eat they will eat,i raise all sorts of fish i my aquariums and you can do all kinds of un natural things and they will flurish is it moral or not....depends who you talk to,can it have adverse affects that you didnt count on sure...people travel all around the world to catch certain fish species...take florida for instance alot of species you can catch are not native to florida lakes but biolagist have put them there and they have made them work,nothing is ever just throw them in and walk away,it takes alot of work but i think it could be worth it.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

No, no, no lets just keep the 3 main species we have and not allow anyone to keep any of them but keep upping the price of licenses.. Isn't that the Alberta way ??? To go through life with your head in the sand...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
No, no, no lets just keep the 3 main species we have and not allow anyone to keep any of them but keep upping the price of licenses.. Isn't that the Alberta way ??? To go through life with your head in the sand...
OK, you convinced me. Let's start bringing in the sunfish, bass... and sharks, and sturgeon, and alligators would be cool, doncha think? We could keep a few lakes heated.

Ohhh, and it would be SO cool to hunt free range wildebeast, ostriches, musk ox... and panthers, let's import panthers! and Siberian tigers. I doubt it would put any native species at risk. After all, tiny steps like game farming has been proven to be safe. LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Hey Sundance,

Can you explain one thing to me regarding perch ???
Well if you claim that perch can reproduce at such an alarming rate and take over lakes and all its food source please tell me, why is there so many perch in Hasse lake concidering them being introduced there for about 5 past years, and comparing to a lake like Star Lake that has had perch introduced a while ago as well, why is it that there is so many perch in Hasse and hardly any in Star, I mean every time I see your answers its based on the same theory, well what is so different about those 2 lakes then ???? why there is so little perch in Star and why are they not reproducing there as fast as at Hasse ???

I also heard that the seaguls maybe responsible for transfering the paerch eggs, I know you're gonna say its a bunch of krap, but keep in mind that Jack Fish Lake and Mink Lake that both hold perch are with in 2 - 5 Km of distance to both of those lakes.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
OK, you convinced me. Let's start bringing in the sunfish, bass... and sharks, and sturgeon, and alligators would be cool, doncha think? We could keep a few lakes heated.

Ohhh, and it would be SO cool to hunt free range wildebeast, ostriches, musk ox... and panthers, let's import panthers! and Siberian tigers. I doubt it would put any native species at risk. After all, tiny steps like game farming has been proven to be safe. LOL

I don't think that anyone is talking about anything quite so drastic Oko,, but we all know that there are dozens and dozens of isolated reservours in the south that could handle some new species of fish.. Don't you think it would be great to have some Large mouth / Small mouth fishing availiable to us ?? Why is it o.k. to fill these ponds with Trout and not Bass ??? I think a Bass is more suited to a warm reservour than a Trout that is native to cold mountain streams no ???

I say it would be worth some effort and a look into thats for sure. We can't just veiw it with blinders on and say it can't be done.. Again lets be puttin some of that money in the water for a change and not just into useless programs like is the norm now.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
Its not as easy as some think, you cannot just stock a lake and let it bloom. It takes biologists doing research on the lake before anything can happen. Starts with the kind of fish they want to stock, what is that species main food source, what is the food source of the species that the stocked fish is eating and so on. I know this as back in B.C. I participated in allot of study's of the local lakes and creeks. For one example, Ten Mile lake back home had the go ahead to stock Kokanee, and there were already Rainbows in the lake. They did allot of studying before that was given the go ahead and had a huge vote on if people even wanted Kokanee in the lake. If you put a fish in a lake that thrives on a certain insect and say that insect helped control the algae growth then you would have an algae problem. Simple things like that. I am good friends with a biologist back home and learned allot about this and have also taken a few courses at the college back home about this subject. That is why if a person is caught illegally stocking a lake with a foreign species then the fines can be large.
I can appreciate that but that's NEVER the case in a natural habitat. Natural habitat's and fisheries introduce fish by 'Accident' all the time... Everything from Floods to Earthquakes. That's how other fish are introduced 'natually' or 'naturally occurring'. This is of course going to happen when bodies of water are closer together which is why ALBERTA tends not to have this happen. The ecosystem will take care of itself, it always does. Also, the algae problem is one that occurs naturally, but often gets MUCH worse when people are dumping crap into that body of water.... "Pigeon lake" ?

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I don't think that anyone is talking about anything quite so drastic Oko,, but we all know that there are dozens and dozens of isolated reservours in the south that could handle some new species of fish.. Don't you think it would be great to have some Large mouth / Small mouth fishing availiable to us ?? Why is it o.k. to fill these ponds with Trout and not Bass ??? I think a Bass is more suited to a warm reservour than a Trout that is native to cold mountain streams no ???

I say it would be worth some effort and a look into thats for sure. We can't just veiw it with blinders on and say it can't be done.. Again lets be puttin some of that money in the water for a change and not just into useless programs like is the norm now.

This is in part, 'precisely' what I'm trying to say....
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'm kinda wary about sharks and I don't think Gators are a good idea cause they might freeze. They like warm climates don't they ? Tigers are cool but Panthers are difficult to see in the dark (at least the black ones are...)

Somehow I think that the Widebeast and Ostriches are better left at the Zoo.

I think you may want to re-think some of those species...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Agreed, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Seen perch on the cam at CV on weekend. Had one take a swip at hook but couldnt bring it in. Also seen perch in the stomach of pike we caught at CV. Theres also whitefish and suckers in there for pike to eat. I would guess theres a few diff types minnows also.

there's just NOT enough of them. I was there A LOT last year and I cannot believe how FEW minnows and smaller fish I was able to spot in the coves and bays... I did however see UNBELIEVABLY HUGE CRAYFISH. One of the last trips there, we spotted one that had to be 4 or 5 inches long ! Crazy stuff...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
Hey Sundance,

Can you explain one thing to me regarding perch ???
Well if you claim that perch can reproduce at such an alarming rate and take over lakes and all its food source please tell me, why is there so many perch in Hasse lake concidering them being introduced there for about 5 past years, and comparing to a lake like Star Lake that has had perch introduced a while ago as well, why is it that there is so many perch in Hasse and hardly any in Star, I mean every time I see your answers its based on the same theory, well what is so different about those 2 lakes then ???? why there is so little perch in Star and why are they not reproducing there as fast as at Hasse ???

I also heard that the seaguls maybe responsible for transfering the paerch eggs, I know you're gonna say its a bunch of krap, but keep in mind that Jack Fish Lake and Mink Lake that both hold perch are with in 2 - 5 Km of distance to both of those lakes.
Answer to gull transferring perch is not they do not. There are some people that like to throw outlandish ideas to discount fact just for the fun of it. If that theory held true...every lake in Alberta would have perch in them naturally as gull and perch have been here for a million years.

As for the Hasse/Star comment...Can you rephrase the question. I am not sure what you are asking or commenting on.

Perch numbers will be variable based upon:

1) when they were first introduced (1 year, versus 5 years, versus 10 years...)
2) what there reproductive success rate is (is there good spawning habitat)
3) does the lake winterkill/summerkill (frequency and severity of winterkill/summerkill)
4) are there predators (pike versus nothing)
5) size of the water body (big versus small)
6) productivity of the water body and type of lake (Eutrophic vs oligatrophic etc)
7) type of food available (shrimp versus minnows)

hmmmm...I can not think of anything else at the moment...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post

IMO, you are wrong....

Ask any guide out in BC from Christina Lake, North and they'll tell you that most of 'those biologist's' are ruining those lakes because of politics and pressure from other groups. The vast majority of 'those' in charge are HUGE 'Die-Hard' fly-fisherman and have a VERY difficult time with stocking any other fish than TROUT. BC and its' climate could easily introduce a variety of species into it's many lakes.

If what you say is true, then naturally occurring introduction of fish and subsequent species would never take place and many bodies of water would be huge algae pools. I don't buy it and I think a lot of 'Guides' know it to be untrue.

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
I'm kinda wary about sharks and I don't think Gators are a good idea cause they might freeze. They like warm climates don't they ? Tigers are cool but Panthers are difficult to see in the dark (at least the black ones are...)

Somehow I think that the Widebeast and Ostriches are better left at the Zoo.

I think you may want to re-think some of those species...
We have the technology to do it.

I know what Walleyes is saying about some isolated reservoirs and such, and I can see it, in a perfect world... I'm just a little wary. Some goofs are absolutely going to lift some exotic fish and deposit them in the Bow. Best to err on the side of caution, and manage what we have properly (I have no idea if THIS is being done adequately).
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdapres' View Post
FloppyChicken, is your rant based on any actual scientific knowledge? To me it displays a lack of actual biological knowledge of eco systems.

Well,

I've fished just about the Entire Country... Have you ? Have you fished in Quebec, Ontario or New Brunswick ? Have you been EAST of Saskatchewan ? If you have, I would be surprised that you would even ask such a question.

Here's what I used to catch as a kid out of my backyard in one of the filthiest rivers in Quebec.... To this day, you can STILL catch all of these fish in the same spot and in roughly the same numbers.

Walleye, Smallmouth, PIKE, Rock BASS, Perch, Sunfish, Muskie, Bullhead, eel, Carp, Bluegill, suckers (no particular order..). Trout and Whitefish are basically NON-Existent as the water is just too dirty.

It seems that the fish get along JUST fine....No scientific clarification needed here but I'll try...

- Big FISH eat SMALLER fish.
- IF there are NO SMALLER fish to eat then those BIG fish don't get much bigger eating crap from the bottom of the lake.
- Bigger FISH NEED smaller FISH to eat, if not then they EAT each other and that kind of defeats the purpose of species maintenance doesn't it ?
- Add heavy fishing pressure to such a fishery and it spells trouble.

Simple Floppychicken Science !!

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Answer to gull transferring perch is not they do not. There are some people that like to throw outlandish ideas to discount fact just for the fun of it. If that theory held true...every lake in Alberta would have perch in them naturally as gull and perch have been here for a million years.

As for the Hasse/Star comment...Can you rephrase the question. I am not sure what you are asking or commenting on.

Perch numbers will be variable based upon:

1) when they were first introduced (1 year, versus 5 years, versus 10 years...)
2) what there reproductive success rate is (is there good spawning habitat)
3) does the lake winterkill/summerkill (frequency and severity of winterkill/summerkill)
4) are there predators (pike versus nothing)
5) size of the water body (big versus small)
6) productivity of the water body and type of lake (Eutrophic vs oligatrophic etc)
7) type of food available (shrimp versus minnows)

hmmmm...I can not think of anything else at the moment...
Star Lake

Lake Specs

Surface area: 27 Hectares (37 Acres)
Mean depth: 2.8 metres (9 feet)
Maximum depth: 7.6 metres (25 feet)

Fish Species

sport fish non-sport fish
Brown Trout Brook Stickleback
Rainbow Trout
Yellow Perch
Note:Fish data collected in 1990, 1991, 2000 &
2001. Species distributions may be incomplete.

Fish Stocking Data

Species Date Released # of Fish
Rainbow Trout 12-May-01 3,446
Rainbow Trout 3-May-01 4,639
Rainbow Trout 19-May-00 15,127
Rainbow Trout 28-May-99 15,000
Rainbow Trout 29-Sep-98 5,000
Rainbow Trout 16-Jun-98 15,000

The Lake is Underground Spring Fed,

Type of Food
Shrip and Minnows

Well since you know so much about Hasse lake so maybe you can explain why there is so little perch in Star Lake ?? and regarding the Gulls carrying the perch eggs we heard that from a CO himself at a local lake.
what makes you so sure that a bird could not transfer those eggs, yea I know you are the biologist, but don't you think that there maybe a possibility...
I remeber the year before folks were acctually catching perch at Hasse for the first time, we seen a large flok of Pellicans over the entire summer, could a bird like that scoop the eggs from Mink lake near by and somehow transfer them into Hasse ???

Cheers !
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Rabbits worked out real well introduced to Australia and game ranching here gave us CWD.Every time man plays GOD he screws things up.If they arn't here already they're not supposed to be......................Harold

Well, I don't believe in GOD so I guess I can't really understand how a human would 'play like one' but floods do 'natually' introduce fish to many waters (not that they'll have that problem down under..)

Here's one for you....

How do you think the Rainbows and Browns in the Bow river got there ?

Both were physical accidents but in BOTH cases it was decided buy a HUMAN to save the FISH by letting them go free into the WATER ! Oh, the HORROR ! Now the Bow is DOOOOOMED ! Oh, wait a sec, no it's not,.... It's one of the BEST TROUT FISHERIES on the GLOBE !!

Go figure....

Respectfully,

/FC...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Man am I sick of the arm chair biology and posts here. To the mods here I respectfully ask for consideration of a possible General Fishing Discussion and Fish Reports Told Here. There are a lot of members here, it is a busy board.

Floppy not picking on you at all. You have some good fishing stories yourself. I look forwards to reading another in the future.

Cheers!

No worries,

I just know what I know..... I see what I see....

And I have lot's of stories.... some are even true !

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM

MANY threads already discussed this and each thread heatedly argued - just do a search here, do a search on google. It was initially interesting and some good points but this topic has been nauseatingly beaten to death Both sides stick to their guns and will not change their minds - same bloody arguments over and over again. Sundancefisher tried to educate, some are getting it but the majority of the armchair biologists and the bucket brigade simply will not listen. While there are some successes (?) with exotic intros but by and large many of these experiments have been disastrous. Let's leave the fish and wildlife management to those who are educated and paid to do so. Yes, they've made mistakes in the past and they'll probably make more mistakes but better than one entity making them than 10,000 individuals.

Last edited by uicehole; 02-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM

I just wanna see genetically engineered T-REX running downtown, maybe feeding on some pervs and criminals , damn that would be fun ,
and maybe trash the legislature place and get rid of the morons there at the same time

That would be a blast !!!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Man, just finished a survey on a government proposal to spend more money to get non-native fish OUT of certain bodies of water, and you want to introduce new ones?

Might be fun to fish all different kinds of fish, but the realistic choice is to take a vacation to their native spots to do it, not bring them here.

Okotokian,

I think maybe you're missing my point. The idea is NOT to catch those pan-fish, even though that would likely reduce the fishing pressure IMMENSELY when it comes to entertaining KIDS, new fisher peoples, etc...

The reasoning behind it is very simple. Provide LOTS of food fish for the species that we INTEND to keep in abundance and of good size (Walleye / Pike, etc..) ! No matter how much we'd like to think that the 'government' is doing a good job, the fact remains that ALBERTA waters have, and will CONTINUE to have HUGE fishing pressure. All the stocking in the world is great, but don't give them anything to eat and they'll all turn out like the Walleye in Pine Coulee reservoir, or worse.... Either way, stocking or not.. we are intervening in the ecosystem. If we are going to do it, we should do it right.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Tiger Muskies 1/2 pike -1/2 Musky------------matures fast and is sterile..Harold
Tiger trout too....

They apparently had both species in Christina Lake at one time....

/FC...