Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Hunting wmu 524

Just want to now if any one hunted 524 moose rut and how they made out i live two zones down 526 never hunted up there . If any one got some pic of moose or some info on there hunts.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 AM
Gone Hunting

The "Chinchaga Moose Hunt" thread is about 524.
I have hunted 524, but that was over twenty years ago. It's too crowded for my liking now.

The only thing I could offer is, some of the best Moose territory is north on the Chinchaga River. I'm not sure how one travels that river. It is very shallow in places, a few inches at times.
I see a lot of hunting camps past the Battle River camp, not so much at this end.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM

I have hunted there lots. Usally down the Chin road close to the Cranberry or the Hamburg Hilton. I have shot 5 moose there myself and others with me have filled there tags as well. Prime rut is awsome there, we once shot three bulls in one day there beetween 5 of us in about a mile radius. The area is starting to get heavily used and has detered me from putting in for draws there anymore. It is still a good area, just busy.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM

did u guys kill any moose of size up there i was thinking going in around km 60 north or so we are looking to try and kill some 40 inch and up we might bow hunt a bit to we just want to get away from people if every ones heading to the end of the road . Maybe down there might not be that bad my dad worked in there lots and see some moose in there that was a few years ago and grizzlys .
Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM

i hunted there form october 1 to 6 and didnt see a single bull moose, tons of grouse tho, aslo saw a few wolves and my unlce saw 2 bears
Old 10-10-2010, 01:09 PM

My biggest from there is 47" spread. Not very palmated though.
Kilometre 60 is quite a ways in on that road. I have driven to the end of it a few times to check it out. Once you cross the river it gets pretty limited to find anywhere to set up camp and you will probably see people the whole way in what is available. I called the CO office one year to get some info about the best spot to hunt. That was the year we shot the 3 in the same morning second day we where there, all within a mile of camp. That is KM 53 right at the river just this side of the bridge. There is a huge log cabin on the other side of the bridge can't miss it. Anyway there is some pretty sweet area right there! The next year I went in there which would have been two years ago it was infested with wolves BAD! no moose to be seen after a couple days I packed up and went back to the Cranberry area and called that 47" in. So like I say its been a few years since I have been there now. Most guys will turn off at the cranberry, the further you go the less people there are for sure.

Last edited by hmk154; 10-10-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Hunting this end might be a good choice.

I hauled logs out of that area for eight years, back in the 90s.
I think I know a spot that wouldn't be congested and not too hard to get to. I know there is Moose there.

It's within 60km of Hwy 35 and camping spots shouldn't be a problem.

If you are interested, I would be happy to give you directions to the place and I might even be able to provide GPS coordinates for possible hot spots for the area. Not sure if I can still find the coordinates though.

As I said, I haven't hunted out that way for several years. 20+ if memory serves, but I do know that there used to be a few 60+ bulls throughout that area.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM

a