Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Any plumbers here....??

Man, I feel like a grade A dufus !! Staying at a house here in Edmonton for a coupla months, I decided to do some chores around the house. Today I went to fix the leaky bathroom faucet. Shut off the hot water, took the tap apart and pulled the cartridge, off to CT to find a new one. Replaced the cartridge, turned on the hot water and then the tap , got a gush of black water and then it quit. EVEN the cold water tap doesn't work!! What next??
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM

It sounds like the washer in the supply stop (the one below the sink) may have disintegrated and plugged up the aerator (the screw-in nozzle/bubbler that the water is discharged from).

Unscrew the aerator, remove all its internals and clean them, or simply replace it. That's about the only explanation of both hot & cold being interrupted, though the blockage could be upstream of them in the faucets internals. The aerator is the most likely spot, being that its the bottleneck with the smallest passages.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 PM

So I need to go into the cabinet and unscrew it from there ? Its a Crane.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 07-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Faucet

No, just unscrew the aerator(screen thingy) where the water pours from at the neck of the faucet.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM

<----- What he said. The aerator is the screen where the water makes it exit from the faucet, unscrew that (they can be obnoxious on occasion) and then clean or replace it. Sometimes they're so scaled up that they're very difficult to remove; on a few occasions I found them so seized that the faucet had to be replaced. If the spout is solid brass you can put on the extra elbow grease and torque the buggers out, but the faucet in your photo likely just has tubing internals under the faucet body, and those can easily be torn off.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Photo....

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM

OK, thanks. I guess I need to go buy a set of vice grips.....no tools here in the house.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
OK, thanks. I guess I need to go buy a set of vice grips.....no tools here in the house.

I like these best:

But if you're getting a new aerator, just put it in finger snug; there's no need to go ballistic on it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Default aerator

I'm impressed! I've only been doing this twelve years, pretty sure Caber invented the faucet but I don't think either of us could change out a cartridge with no tools in the house. Whats your secret?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhead View Post
I'm impressed! I've only been doing this twelve years, pretty sure Caber invented the faucet but I don't think either of us could change out a cartridge with no tools in the house. Whats your secret?

I've been at it 25 years, but am still moderately young at 43. I'm a second generation plumber though, I'm nearly positive that my old man invented lead.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:23 PM

A HUGE thank you gentlemen !! Dug thru my truck toolbox and found some vice grips....go figure !! Quick clean of the aerator and I'm in business!! Including the fact that the original drip is gone !!

Many thanks !!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM

Since we're on the subject, we have a leaky Moen kitchen faucet (about 5 years old). It's a single handle model. How the heck do I fix that?? I tried turn the screw on the top part of the handle bit that didn't fix it. So I have to pull the whole thing out???
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Those single handles like to leak around the round ball the handle sits on, if that's where your leak is you can shut the water off remove the handle and you'll see a slender round o ring which can be replaced. But if it were me... Morn has a lifetime guarantee so I would go into homedepot or a place like that and trade
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksBoarsandBulls View Post
Those single handles like to leak around the round ball the handle sits on, if that's where your leak is you can shut the water off remove the handle and you'll see a slender round o ring which can be replaced. But if it were me... Morn has a lifetime guarantee so I would go into homedepot or a place like that and trade
Wow! You can do that? I wonder if I'd have to pull the spray wand and the soda dispenser too??? Good idea. Ill call HDepot in the morning.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah if you take the taps back, shut off the water, look under your taps there are supply tubes or braided piping which go to the underside of the taps, loosen off. On a mown single handle faucet the apparatus to fasten the taps down looks like a small brass cigarette tray... It has a couple small pieces or one medium size piece of ready rod ) depending on age of taps) loosen off the nuts and the bracket will come off. Then your taps should pull straight out. If you have a sprayer, there's a weight on the underside so that the hose wants to go back in... You'll have to deal with that if its there. Tough to say without seein it, but I'm sure you'll get it, they're pretty basic now a days
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM

The Moen single handles typically use their 1225B cartridge, its an excellent design; however they have been hit & miss on the handle linkages. Their higher end products generally all have sturdy handle designs, but I've seen a couple of dogs emerge from their 'builder' line so far as the handle attachment goes. I've never been a huge Delta fan, but they're certainly serviceable and the parts are everywhere. Cartridges can be pulled after removing the handle, too many varieties to explain here, but for Pete's sake shut off the water first! I've never had to look it up, but I imagine YouTube will have some how-to videos. I'm going to look right now out of curiosity, and will check if Moen has their own page.

Edit: Yep, YouTube has some videos; search "Moen Faucet"
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Default Important step....

After turning off the supplies under the sink, try turning on the faucet before removing handle/cartridge. Seen a lot of DIYers and a few fellow plumbers miss that step. Old shutoffs sometimes feel like they are closed but if they have come apart like in the OP's faucet, they are most definately not off. Make sure you also know where your main shut off is, and test to see if it turns easily and is not seized....

Good advice as well

Thanks guys for the info. Ill check Youtube out right now...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Taps

Also, there is no need to take the while faucet out, the cartridge is the only component that needs replacing. Anyone that sells moen should replace it for free.