Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

For those that have family to love....Yes it is what's important to live for.

Sometimes just the most basic things in life are worth living for & experiencing.

Always appreciate what you have today....because tomorrow never comes. (If this makes sense to some of you?).

AND....Great attitude just dave.....it's very inspiring
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM

My family! My girls my wife Tamara and daughters katriona and Mackenzie and now the infusion of testosterone Colton born yesterday !!
That's something to appreciate and something to live for.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

At the moment I am going through my own personal struggle involving my back. It certainly can change your perspective on life.

I am obviously thankful for family. My father who is a wonderful person and mentor. My sister who just got married. I am thankful for who my mother was.

I am thankful for my wife. Under the circumstances she is doing more than her share, and she is doing it with a smile and a sense of humor.

I have to say I am also thankful for AO. I have a lot of time to kill and this forum is helping me keep my sanity.........usually.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I have struggled with a back injury most of my life. I also was blessed with petty mal seizures, but the Lord healed that when I submitted my life to Him.
Sorry if that offends anyone, I know of no other way to say it.

Then, over the last several years I find age catching up with me.
After years of smoking and truck driving my health will not allow me to do many of the things I used to do and still want to do. Even going fishing is a struggle some days.

Still, I have a lot to be thankful for and to loo forward to.
First and foremost is of course, my relationship with Jesus. Not trying to preach, it's just the way I see things.
Next, is my wonderful wife. She is my soul-mate, my better half by far.
She makes me supper, she makes me laugh, she makes me think, she makes me glad to be alive, and most of all she makes me feel loved.

Then there are my two daughters and my remaining son. They make me proud and give me something to look forward to each day.
I mean they really do. The funny, silly, loving, brilliant, and thoughtful things they say and do keep me on the edge of my seat every day.

Then there are my two grandchildren. My payback for all those years of being a parent. There is no pleasure like spending time with ones grandchildren.

And, there are my two brothers and nine sisters. Each in their own way enrich my life beyond description.

On top of all that there are my hobbies, designing, building, repairing, restoring, photography, hunting, fishing, trapping, and teaching all of the above when the opportunity presents itself.

So what in my life is worth living for? Well all of the above. The good times and the bad times. The tears and the laughter.
For these are the spice of life.

Hunting and fishing are fun, but when I lie dying, it won't be fishing and hunting I want. It'll be my family and friends.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Wife and kids for sure but also extended family. I'm also learning to appreciate good health so I can make a living and enjoy the fun things in life.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM

I would have to say family and friends, also the awesome people on AO, after the recent passing of my sister and just over the weekend my grandmother losing her battle with cancer made me way more appreciative of the people around me and what I chose to do that makes me happy in life, you never know when its your turn so don't end up saying I wish I would of done that or had time for that. Its made me respect life life a whole lot more!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Just Dave, that's a freak accident sorry to hear about your fortune. But very good to hear your a positive and up beat person. Life is what we make of it, enjoy every minute we have!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I was in an ATV accident and suffered a spinal cord injury in the 5th vertebra down in my neck. Been paralyzed from the chest down since. It's been H_ll. Luckily I'm really good at h_ll.

Wake up every morning and think about the things worth living for, everyone.

And please, no pity or I'll hand out spankin's. Let's hear about the things in your life worth living for instead.

For me.... It's my Mom and Sister and little Dexter the dog too.
Exactly 16 hours and thirty-nine minutes later my wife delivered our first son.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Your words read loud and true, everyone.

I paused for a little while before replying. After reading what you've all shared, I was thinking about what life is. It made me realize that every day of life is a gift. But a gift that won't last forever. I should capitalize on it a little more while I still have it.

Thanks everybody! I hope to read more!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 PM

kid and grand kids

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Here is a kid from my home town who hasn't let a tragic accident get him down either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciD5K7pthB4
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

I saw this thread this morning and it made me reflect a bit before I finally decided to post a reply. I'm thankful for everything that I've been able to do, everything that I have and everything that is yet to come. Thank you for helping me keep things in perspective just_dave......I needed that today.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

A brother of a friend of mine is a member of the KWAD SQUAD. Yes, they completed the Stony Plain race.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=959570
Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 PM

My wife and kids for sure are what I live for. I lost my mom last year and i will lose my father in the next few months but life goes on. I believe in my heart we were all put on this earth for a reason and I thank god for each day that I wake up and smell the fresh air. At the end of the day we live the hand that we are dealt and make the most of it and try live your live to the fullest helping as many as you can along the way.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Hunting and fishing are fun, but when I lie dying, it won't be fishing and hunting I want. It'll be my family and friends.
This is exactly how I see it also...
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 PM

It's amazing how we take things for granted until tragedy strikes. Oct 13, 2009 my oldest boy was diagnosed with a brain tumor( benign tumor ) and after his surgery, recovery, physiotherapy and chemo, he is a happy 10yr old that loves hockey, dirt biking, camping, hunting and everything else he try's. For me it is my family, but most of all its my sons. After all they are my greatest contribution to the world.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I found myself nodding in agreement to everything shared. Sometimes life can be more than a challenge. For myself, a little reflection and perspective just reinforces what it is in life that's worth the struggle. And looking at how much some have to struggle, I feel truly fortunate.

To answer about my accident. We were heading back to the town of Slave from a short little quad trip out by the Widewater/Wagner area. I was the atv/quad in front. We weren't going fast, maybe third gear at most. Driving down a straight narrow road, a grey owl swooped down from the left side of the trees and into my path. I slammed on the brakes as soon as it was in my vision. Still, the owl and I met face to face. The next thing I knew, I was being run over by an atv. My best friend was unable to stop fast enough and I basically twisted in a ball a few times under his quad before completely being driven over. As soon as I stopped rolling down the road, I knew my neck had fractured and I was now paralyzed.
I know you don't want pity but that made me sad. It's amazing how quickly everything can change. You have such an awesome sense of humor and attitude.

As for what keeps me going...Friends, family and all the people who count on me.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 PM

Friggin' Hallmark-fest in here.

(Flame suit on)

Dear, Dave On Wheels,

Is there perhaps a chance the priest WAS right and God DOES frown on young fellas who spend too much time mastur............

Your accident may not be a coincidence?

Signed,
Your Pal Tree
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

God, and my family.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Talking

Quote:
I was in an ATV accident and suffered a spinal cord injury in the 5th vertebra down in my neck. Been paralyzed from the chest down since. It's been H_ll. Luckily I'm really good at h_ll.

Wake up every morning and think about the things worth living for, everyone.

And please, no pity or I'll hand out spankin's. Let's hear about the things in your life worth living for instead.

For me.... It's my Mom and Sister and little Dexter the dog too.
Ya it really sucks when you know it all got screwed up. My world really sucks. and every day I tell myself the reason I continue is ensure my wife has a chance to have a peacefull life and keep the garbage away.Sounds a little weird the way I`ve wrote it but the point is ,No matter what happens to us ,we have someone out there that needs use around for awhile yet. besides,gotta see what`s next eh.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Your words read loud and true, everyone.

I paused for a little while before replying. After reading what you've all shared, I was thinking about what life is. It made me realize that every day of life is a gift. But a gift that won't last forever. I should capitalize on it a little more while I still have it.

Thanks everybody! I hope to read more!
Dave you are a good man and gave me some very solid advice in the past on AO for various outdoor activities and it is greatly appreciated, very thankful to have made friends with you, ever need help with anything don't hesitate to ask me anytime!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Is there perhaps a chance the priest WAS right and God DOES frown on young fellas who spend too much time mastur............
Ha! If they thought that was going to stop me...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Well I've definitely taken from everything shared.

I'm certain that every post resonates with almost everyone here.