Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Any cabinet makers on AO?

I built this custom RV and had a buddy do all the cabinets for me, the boxes are really well done in baltic birch and maple faces but he had to head to work and did a "quickie" on the doors. I'd like to get some cabinet doors made that will finish this thing up properly. Is there a cabinet guy on here?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Pm TCW. He's my step dad. If he doesn't get back to me pm me and I'll get him in touch with you.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Banned

I'm not a cabinet maker, but that rig is cool as h-e-double hockey sticks! Nice job.

Where are you located?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Thanks, I'm located in Red Deer, I got really tired of typical RV quality stuff. This should last a loooong time. It's a 1996 F-700 4x4 crew cab with only 50 000 KM on it, 4 years of building, was hoping to be using it already but it is getting close.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Post more pics please.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Post more pics please.
X2! Love to see the floor plan and design innovations you used. Looks awesome.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Cabinetmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
X2! Love to see the floor plan and design innovations you used. Looks awesome.
Good morning
I hear you are in need of cabinet doors. I am a cabinetmaker with 25 years under my belt I run a one man shop off my acreage just outside of Red Deer.

Last edited by cabinetman; 07-04-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

My wife is a J-person cabinet maker, we've done "goverment jobs' before but I'd probably go with CabineteMan cause he's alot closer.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 AM

A couple of pics of the build...

Fully welded aluminum tubular frame, no screwed "studs".

Sheeted with Diabond composite panels.

Insulated, the first inch is high density for strength, the last half inch is medium density so it could be easily levelled.

The black and grey water tanks are aluminum, 150 gallons of fresh water on board.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 AM

Awesome....more pics I must feed the beast...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 AM

That's a sweet &@@ rig. Now it just needs a butt load of Camo vehicle wrap and you will be th envy of all or most guys and gals on here
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 AM

Does the truck still have the older 5.9L cummins in it
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 AM

A few more....trim

Rear bumper and hitch

The slide, I had a major expedition camper manufacturer in the USA email me and tell me a slide would never work, I'll just let him keep thinking that.

Front bumper with winch and LED lighting.

Interior shot, can't get a good pic of the interior. But there is a full sized shower in there.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 AM

Details..
Truck is a 1996 F-700 with 30 000 original miles on it, had a 429 but now has a 12 valve 5.9 cummins with a #10 fuel plate, 40 hp injectors, and 3000 rpm governor springs, Fuller FSO 6 speed with overdrive, Rockwell T-136 transfer case air shifted, Rockwell F-106 rear, Marmon Herrington 11 000 pound front axle. Peterbilt low air leaf rear suspension, front suspension is replaced with parabolic leafs and custom hangers, rides super smooth, trip from the body shop was the only real ride since the truck was drivable again, had lots of power.

Aluminum tube camper frame, Diabond composite panels taped on, they have a R2 insulation value at 1/8" thick. Fully perimeter trimmed, tons of storage, dinette slide, thermal windows, polyurethane spray foam insulation, 3/8 interior plywood sheeting under the decorative finishing panel, 120 watt solar, Odyssey AGM batteries, 2600 watt generator, 60 gallon frame mounted propane tank for stove, fridge and barbecue, I got real tired of paying full pop to top up a 3/4 full cylinder! Espar diesel air heater, LED interior lighting, full size shower, 150 gallons fresh water, 90 gallon grey tank 45 gallon black tank.

This beast has been a 4 year project so far, hope to finish it up before Christmas. It has been a project of trading, swapping, recycling, keeping unemployed buddies employed, and even with that take on it a fair bit of good old cash disappeared into this thing. I shook apart 2 truck campers, 2 motorhomes, and I'm on my second travel trailer but I don't take it where I like to go because I know it will fall apart like the rest. I had a Bigfoot camper and it was the only RV I owned that was of excellent quality and had almost no issues but my family grew and it was too small. That's why I'm building this, it should pull my trailer with the Jeep or bikes with no issues and if I have to clamp on the brakes or drive around something I will have the confidence of a lightly loaded medium duty truck vs the typical overloaded 3/4 or 1 ton truck where everything is compromised.

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Details..
Truck is a 1996 F-700 with 30 000 original miles on it, had a 429 but now has a 12 valve 5.9 cummins with a #10 fuel plate, 40 hp injectors, and 3000 rpm governor springs, Fuller FSO 6 speed with overdrive, Rockwell T-136 transfer case air shifted, Rockwell F-106 rear, Marmon Herrington 11 000 pound front axle. Peterbilt low air leaf rear suspension, front suspension is replaced with parabolic leafs and custom hangers, rides super smooth, trip from the body shop was the only real ride since the truck was drivable again, had lots of power.

Aluminum tube camper frame, Diabond composite panels taped on, they have a R2 insulation value at 1/8" thick. Fully perimeter trimmed, tons of storage, dinette slide, thermal windows, polyurethane spray foam insulation, 3/8 interior plywood sheeting under the decorative finishing panel, 120 watt solar, Odyssey AGM batteries, 2600 watt generator, 60 gallon frame mounted propane tank for stove, fridge and barbecue, I got real tired of paying full pop to top up a 3/4 full cylinder! Espar diesel air heater, LED interior lighting, full size shower, 150 gallons fresh water, 90 gallon grey tank 45 gallon black tank.

This beast has been a 4 year project so far, hope to finish it up before Christmas. It has been a project of trading, swapping, recycling, keeping unemployed buddies employed, and even with that take on it a fair bit of good old cash disappeared into this thing. I shook apart 2 truck campers, 2 motorhomes, and I'm on my second travel trailer but I don't take it where I like to go because I know it will fall apart like the rest. I had a Bigfoot camper and it was the only RV I owned that was of excellent quality and had almost no issues but my family grew and it was too small. That's why I'm building this, it should pull my trailer with the Jeep or bikes with no issues and if I have to clamp on the brakes or drive around something I will have the confidence of a lightly loaded medium duty truck vs the typical overloaded 3/4 or 1 ton truck where everything is compromised.

Cheers.
Great looking rig! I totaly understand your sentements on RV quality. Other than a realy old camper the only RV I've owned is an Arctic Fox trailer. I hear lots of other people talking about how awesome they are but I look at the thing and think "If I payed for a $35000 home reno and it was done this poorly I would lose it!"
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM

That is awesome.....totally reminds me of an "A-Team" project! ......but they built theirs within 15 minutes

LC
Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 AM

This thing is built 15 minutes at a time! That's why it's taken 4 years!

One of the truck campers I shook apart was an Arctic Fox, the back wall had a 1.5" gap at the bottom after a trip from the Ghost to Nordegg on the trunk road. I get a kick out of all the stickers and crap on the RV's advertising aluminum frames, sure they have aluminum in them, with 1-2 screws on a sheetmetal angle bracket holding the studs in place, or booger welds layed in by highly trained personel.....good thing for good glue!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM

You will be replacing the truck long before you ever have to replace that camper. Great job.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM

ahhh errrr
holy chip dip that is waaaayyyyyy cool how soon do you need doors ?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Hey Jeep

Very good choice on the engine. We had that engine stock of course in our 1992-4 ford B-700 school busses with the 5 speed standard. When taking them for a test dive I didn't have to down shift climbing out of the river valley by Devon. Just pedal down and it held 5th gear top of the hill 100kph. That engine was more reliable then some of the new crap we are running now. Congrats on a sweet arse build.

Redneck
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the comments
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM

that is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. you are one talented craftsman.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

That is too cool, love it!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Thanks to Timberwolf out of Sylvan Lake, came out measured everything, gave a decent quote, did the job faster than I expected, came back, installed everything, upgraded the latches, fit and finish is absolutely perfect, Doors are solid maple and stain matched, I'm always impressed by craftsmanship from trades I do not dabble in. Thanks again.

I wish interior pics did the job justice, I never could get a good shot of the inside.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 AM

This thread needs a bump. Hope we can see some pics of the beast in action
Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
X2. I want to see it adjacent a picturesque mountain & lake, with a campfire and a real dog visible in frame. I also want pictures of it tailgaiting Fishnut9 in his Toyota Scion IQ pictured here:

Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Super cool project. First time I have actually read an entire post concerning motorhomes. Also the first motorhome that I would actually purchase if I was worth a lot of money.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
x2
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 PM

I got it all finished, ended up swapping out the chassis, the 5.9 just didn't have it once I hooked my trailer up. Bought a nice F-650 with a C7/Allison auto, much happier with it. We have been using this thing all summer and it really does haul 4 people nicely along with very comfy living quarters, and we generally have 4-5 bikes and a quad in the trailer with room to spare. We ended up 7000 pounds UNDER GVW, not once have I ever felt a negative driving effect from ruts, loose gravel, retards cutting me off, etc. there is a full build thread here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/exped...x4-camper.html that has some real recent updates.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Wow, that is a sweet set-up!!!