Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Outdoor Security Camera Options?

I've had it. I live in a good neighborhood but after too many "small" problems, I'm at the end of my rope with petty theft and vandalism. I know the issue is bored kids and not hardened criminals, but I'd sure like to catch them in the act!

Does anyone have experience with outdoor video security systems? I have a cheap ebay-supplied indoor wi-fi camera that I used as a baby monitor but it's not designed for outdoor use.

I'd like to find a reliable and fairly discreet outdoor video camera. I'd prefer one of the wireless IP variety so I can link it to my wi-fi and record video to my computer. I'm looking for suggestions on brands or vendors in the Edmonton area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Iron Castle. -Google it.
I'm pretty sure the owners are from St. Albert as well.
My sister has been taking little hits in St. Albert.
3 bikes stolen when their chain was cut through while in the backyard.
Car has been hit, bottles stolen from up behind the house.
What the hel right. If it's not cemented in, it's gone!
And I know how you feel.
I'm looking into a couple of trail cams. Thinking of the simmons at this point as my on-line "connection" has not been made yet. Still waiting to hear back.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

I know a guy that used these and was happy with them:
http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx36a_...e_camera.html#

For St Albert you might need to buy a heated enclosure to keep it working on the colder nights. You can probably use you exiting cam in one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

I bought a system off web 6 years ago, AVERDIGI only used once in court when three 16 year old females broke into wives truck in driveway. paid for itself in one night. the look on there faces when seeing the video was worth the 800.00. Not the most high tech but did the job!!!plus a trail cam in garage just in case.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Costco has a motion activated led dual light with full color sd card camera for $99.00

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM

London drugs has actually been stepping up to the home security camera market lately, I have used many many types in commercial applications over the years but in all honesty the "best" are simple black and white Cams with the brightest IR illuminatlon you can find... Bigger diameter = more IR LED's = better night vision
A computer based system is what I have... Just a simple capture on motion activated recording program that only records when someone enters a certain area of the cameras view...

Be aware tho that not all is cosher when it comes to cameras... If they are pointed off your property people seem to get upset... Especially when it's a x40 PTZ under the 2nd floor eves of a commercial building next to a hotel

.....and there was that one time a lady ran infront of a camera to prevent being raped (that dident stop the attack)... Only to later find out the camera dident work... So she sued the guy who had the non functioning camera....

We won't even get into "seizure of evidence" if the cops want a reason to peak into your home...

....a webcam in a window with the right software can be a cheap alternative
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Suspended User

Default London drugs

A friend of mine has a crazy stepdaughter in her life. I spent about 2the weeks looking for cameras. The best bang for the buck was the Swann brand's wireless system. I had issues getting good signal because of bushes, and ended up putting it up 16'in on a pole. Built a birdhouse around it for weather protection. It is so obvious that she hasn't had anymore problems.
To avoid lots of the legal issues, put up warning signs about the video camera. This alone will scare most off.
I bought a game camera, and put it up in my back alley. Caught one guy as he was getting ready to go for my truck. The infrared lights going off made him look right at the camera. He was gone in two pictures. Lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Bump,..

I am looking for outdoor cameras as someone was prowling in the yard last night and freaked the wife out. Also someone broke into the cars a couple weeks ago in the driveway.

Anyone here purchase anything lately?

Thx