Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Default Free Tax Software

I have relatively simple taxes to do.

I use netfile and my old tried and true free program (Studiotax) is now a pay service.

Any recommendations/opinions on free tax software that you guys have used and liked?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post

I use netfile and my old tried and true free program (Studiotax) is now a pay service.

Any recommendations/opinions on free tax software that you guys have used and liked?

Thanks
I have used H&R Block Free for the last 3yrs and it's pretty easy. The drawback is saying no to the paid ads and putting in the same personal information every year.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:38 AM

I used the small business version of Intuit's Turbo Tax when I was self-employed, and continued to use their free version after I closed my business down. I would use them again, and from my personal experience, would recommend them to someone else.

Last year I tried using "Simple Tax", (Now WealthSimple Tax I believe), which turned out to be a bad mistake on my part. The Simple Tax site got hacked, many of their customers including myself had our personal info compromised, and now I'm dealing with collection agencies regarding credit cards that I've never had. Avoid WealthSimple Tax at all costs.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:11 PM

I like to use the free version of Turbo Tax. Like you my taxes are very simple.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Default Wealth Simple

We used Weathsimple tax this season. In the past we have used StudioTax but they started charging this year. Weathsimple was great for easy two working (not self employed) people with RRSP contributions. I believe they acquired simpletax. It does ask you to donate at the end, but your can chose $0
Old 03-01-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks
The basic TurboTax program is likely all that you'll need. If your income and deduction information is fairly straightforward, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to file.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:23 PM

https://simpletax.ca/

I've used this for last 3 years. Good program.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:26 PM

I've used GenuTax for personal tax returns over the years.
Standalone software you download and install on your computer.
Windows OS only
Free and accepts donations should you decide so.

All the rest of the free offerings want to retain to much personal information on you, expecially if they are cloud based.

As per Genutax privacy policy statement:

"When using GenuTax Standard software, the tax information you input is stored in a file you save to your local hard drive. No tax information of any kind is transmitted to GenuSource's servers or systems at any time".

https://www.genutax.ca/
Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks
It’s now $15 for the license to file 20 returns (the maximum CRA allows). I used it previously to file my family returns (2), my friend’s, my wife filed her parents’ and sister’s. That would be the least every year. So at least 6, which comes to about $2.50 per. Personally, I would not bother to enter all basic info all over again into a new program over $2.50. And it really is a great little program too, imo. Nothing else comes close that I have seen (aside from professional soft like Taxprep, etc). When I used it, I was planning to donate every year and never did. Well, now people like me have an opportunity to donate without thinking about it, lol.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross eyed cowboy View Post

all the rest of the free offerings want to retain to much personal information on you, expecially if they are cloud based
this!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 PM

Default Genutax

Quote:

Thanks
I have used Gennutax since it originally came out and is very reliable, allows you to use different approaches, great software
Old 03-02-2021, 06:25 AM

You guys that are using the free tax software that loads your data to the providers site may want to consider how much your privacy is worth. I would never use a service that stored that detailed personal information anywhere but on my own device. Between them selling your info and the ever rising level of major hacks, securing your data is becoming even more important.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Eyed Cowboy View Post
I've used GenuTax for personal tax returns over the years.
Standalone software you download and install on your computer.
Windows OS only
Free and accepts donations should you decide so.

All the rest of the free offerings want to retain to much personal information on you, expecially if they are cloud based.

As per Genutax privacy policy statement:

"When using GenuTax Standard software, the tax information you input is stored in a file you save to your local hard drive. No tax information of any kind is transmitted to GenuSource's servers or systems at any time".

https://www.genutax.ca/
Sat down and went through it last night. Went OK and Genutax seemed to work pretty well. At any rate, taxes are done for another year.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM

I had troubles years ago finding a free tax software for my Mac. Eventually found TurboTax which works well for me.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Sat down and went through it last night. Went OK and Genutax seemed to work pretty well. At any rate, taxes are done for another year.

Glad you found a good one and the fact that all data stays with you is a VERY big plus.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:18 PM

For anyone who wants to browse through the CRA certified Netfile programs: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...e-program.html