Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Default Credit Card Extended Warranty Protection

So, first time I ever got to try using this feature. Bought a Canon MB5120 printer from London Drugs in Sept 2019. Was not a great printer from the get go, complicated to setup, regularly lost its WIFI connection, tended to leak ink onto the pages and you can't replace any cartridge until it is completely empty, even if it is leaking, and a set of replacement cartridges cost as much as the printer did. Should have taken it back shortly after buying it. Finally on Feb 22, 2021 it completely craps the bed and won't run at all. Take it back to LD, no warranty left of course, they take a quick look, say $50 min service charge and debatable whether it is fixable. Since it was a $400 printer I bought on sale for $179 I told them to put it in the recycle and bought an Epson all in one, Ink Tank printer. I will save enough on the cost of cartridges to pay for the new printer.

So I decide I will try claiming against the extended warranty provisions of my TD Visa. Worked slick, they EMTed me the full purchase price plus GST. Now the part you guys might be interested in, to start the claim you call their 1-800 line, they send you an email with instructions and a link to setup a claim account. You need to have the original bill of sale, London Drugs can sometimes give you a copy if you did not keep yours, the Canon Warranty, better hope you kept the paper copy because finding their Canadian Warranty terms on line was not possible when I looked, the invoice from LD for the repair estimate. If the item is rrepairable TD has the option to pay for the repair or refund the purchase price. Mine repair wasn't possible so I also needed the Receipt for the recycle of the old printer, plus a copy of your Visa statement showing the purchase (this is available on line). You can either scan this stuff and do the claim electronically or copy them and send the claim in as paper. I did it electronically and it took less than 2 days from submission to approval.

For all of you that have this type of coverage on your credit card you may want to take advantage of it as it extends the manufactures warranty by a year past its 1,2,3 etc warranty period. Some cards actually double the original warranty. If you are covering something with a 5 year or longer warranty you usually have to register that with the CC company at time of purchase. Lifetime claim limit is $60,000 for this Visa version.

Hope some of you get to take advantage of this often over looked feature. Same as the free trip cancellation coverage, rental damage waiver, loss and theft protection and baggage delay insurance that so many cards have and people just forget about.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:11 PM

Done it before with my RBC visa.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM

Good thread, thanks for posting that Dean.

I bet less than 1% of the people EVER use this feature (including people like me).

But knowing, although there is some footwork involved, that the system and warranty works, it's something I'm sure to take advantage of in the future on anything worth doing it for.

Kitchen appliances, a chainsaw, TV, whatever would certainly be worth it.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

There is also the lost or stolen replacement with some Visa's.
I had lost my Garmin and called them, filled out the forms, all done.
But a week later I found it and called them to reverse it, the lady on the other end was speechless as no one had ever done this before.
WDF
Old 03-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Good info to know as what documentation will be required in case of a claim.

I normally keep that kind of info on file anyway but with regards to the Warranty info sometimes I don't save it.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:17 PM

I have used the extended warranty to have a laptop repaired, and also once for building materials that were stolen from my house I was building the theft insurance. No questions asked as long as you have the receipt. I try and make full use of my cards, including trip cancellation which I used last March when Covid was blowing up.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-02-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Visa Dividend

Warranty claims were amazingly slick. Sons tablet got broke (nobody claimed responsibility), no manufacturers warranty (probably wouldn't have been covered anyways). Called the Visa group, claim processed in a day, funds EFTd in less than a week.

We keep for bigger ticket items in an envelope on the island. If we throw out the manuals the warranty info is usually available online or from the original seller.

Between that and rental car coverage I've saved quite a bit. The card fee is also comp'd from my bank.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:36 PM

With the rapidly escalating costs of everything, good to know you dont have to buy the extended warranties to have coverage.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:05 PM

I've used it once on a $1300 water pump. Worked slick. Rarely purchase extended warranty because of this.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:58 AM

I always make sure I buy on amex so I have the extra warranty. Piece of mind

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-05-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I always make sure I buy on amex so I have the extra warranty. Piece of mind
Pretty sure I wouldn't be willing to give a piece of my mind for the peace of mind of an extended warranty.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:46 AM

I bought a new pair of Oakleys with the Visa, Left them on my brothers kitchen table and his Lab chewed them up, I was reimbursed,
I use the free auto rental insurance but was told by a Visa rep that they won't cover off road vehicles or 4X4 trucks, we were renting one for a hunting trip. I never did see that in writing.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I bought a new pair of Oakleys with the Visa, Left them on my brothers kitchen table and his Lab chewed them up, I was reimbursed,
I use the free auto rental insurance but was told by a Visa rep that they won't cover off road vehicles or 4X4 trucks, we were renting one for a hunting trip. I never did see that in writing.
That info actually is in writing in the insurance details. Almost all won't cover 4x4, most pickups and most won't cover high end vehicles like Bentley or even stuff over 80,000 in case you are thinking of renting a flash vehicle in Vegas.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Now this here is great information Dean2! Thanx for sharing...