Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 PM

Default Starlink Available now in Alberta

Got an email today

"During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically."

It does me no good but it sure is a great option for people who want to stream or game and have no fiber optics in the area.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 PM

It has been slowly reaching more north. I got the email a month or so back that it was available in my area (Edm area).
Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 AM

Mine arrived yesterday! Finally get to boot Xplornet! Putting it up tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
Mine arrived yesterday! Finally get to boot Xplornet! Putting it up tomorrow.
Where do you live?

My email says a wait for up to six months...
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Starlink is pretty expensive isn't it?

$600+ at the outset for equipment and well over $100/month.........or so I've heard. My physiotherapist's partner is getting it and that was what he told me it was costing.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Starlink is pretty expensive isn't it?

$600+ at the outset for equipment and well over $100/month.........or so I've heard. My physiotherapist's partner is getting it and that was what he told me it was costing.
It isn't cheap per say, but at $649 for the equipment and $129/month with the speeds it has and unlimited data is a godsend for those of us who have to rely on satellite internet anyways. I was paying $149/month of 150GB of data from Xplornet and that was my only option before Starlink. The speeds were almost always less than 10mb of download and with Starlink I am like 120gb or more consistently.

It is a huge difference in my day to day working life from home and for our ability to stream movies/sports etc. Well worth the cost for me!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Where do you live?

My email says a wait for up to six months...
I'm in the Okanagan. Setup was super easy, bolt it down it does the rest. Test speed was 83mbs
Old 03-02-2021, 10:09 AM

Question: Can this system be portable? I.e. mounted to an RV trailer?

I'm envisioning disappearing for the summer into crown land with no cell coverage and working from 'home'.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Question: Can this system be portable? I.e. mounted to an RV trailer?

I'm envisioning disappearing for the summer into crown land with no cell coverage and working from 'home'.
As far as I know it is currently geo-fenced into a specific area and you are not allowed to take it portable. I imagine that may be something that changes or has an option down the road but I don't think so yet.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-02-2021, 12:46 PM

I wonder how this will affect those providers who have made their bread and butter servicing rural internet customers... Will be interesting to see!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM

If starlink prove to be as good/dependable as advertised, it will kill them.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I wonder how this will affect those providers who have made their bread and butter servicing rural internet customers... Will be interesting to see!
My work neighbours company installs Xplornet satellite for a living (along with other satellite work) and he says it is already having a huge impact. I know since I had gotten Starlink back in January, a few of my immediate neighbours have already switched and are super happy as well.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Are you guys getting good speed both ways? Upload as well as download? That's usually the issue with satellite. Starlink offered me the beta but they also said there may be no connection at all from time to time. Are you guys experiencing any outages?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoonpointboy View Post
Are you guys getting good speed both ways? Upload as well as download? That's usually the issue with satellite. Starlink offered me the beta but they also said there may be no connection at all from time to time. Are you guys experiencing any outages?
Upload for me has been 20mb to 30mb constantly with speeds even higher sometimes. With Xplornet I was usually less than 2mb up.

I have only had outages a few times for like 10 minutes or so. I think it was just basically maintenance uploads etc and not actual issues. I had way worse issues with outages and Xplornet than with Starlink since I have gotten it a couple months ago and the speeds and ping are amazing!

I have also had no issues with snow or weather with the Starlink dish. It actual warms itself with the power supply and melts the snow.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Upload for me has been 20mb to 30mb constantly with speeds even higher sometimes. With Xplornet I was usually less than 2mb up.

I have only had outages a few times for like 10 minutes or so. I think it was just basically maintenance uploads etc and not actual issues. I had way worse issues with outages and Xplornet than with Starlink since I have gotten it a couple months ago and the speeds and ping are amazing!

I have also had no issues with snow or weather with the Starlink dish. It actual warms itself with the power supply and melts the snow.

How long have you had it for? I am just concerned about the frequency of the outages, but sounds like it will get better with time. I just put my down payment on it last week, hopefully they deliver everything soon, I'm stoked.

The rural providers will inevitably go out of business, but I mean my internet is constantly not working, and the speeds are sub par. Yet they have no problem charging the full rates. God bless Starlink.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
How long have you had it for? I am just concerned about the frequency of the outages, but sounds like it will get better with time. I just put my down payment on it last week, hopefully they deliver everything soon, I'm stoked.

The rural providers will inevitably go out of business, but I mean my internet is constantly not working, and the speeds are sub par. Yet they have no problem charging the full rates. God bless Starlink.
I have had it a couple months now... Like I said, in the time I had Xplornet (al most 3 years) it would have outages far more often than I have experienced with Starlink in the same time frame and for far longer periods of time.

I guess nothing is a guarantee in life but It has been amazing for me.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 03-02-2021, 05:09 PM

I was going to say, anyone who has used Xplornet/Clearwave/etc has experienced regular outages regardless.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:31 PM

If I’m still working from home in May, I’d be looking into that for sure.
Up east of Valleyview for spring bear, first bait is only 700 yds from the cabin.
So 2 hrs on the bait in early AM, work online 8-4, then back at it, ha.

TBark
Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 AM

Got the e-mail last week saying it was coming to my area soon. Put the down payment in and patiently waiting now. Can't wait to get rid of CCI.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Got the e-mail last week saying it was coming to my area soon. Put the down payment in and patiently waiting now. Can't wait to get rid of CCI.
CCI is now owned by xplornet. There is a reason there was a website called xplornetsucks.com. They are awful.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
I am patiently waiting as well, I wonder how long the wait will be??
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
I am patiently waiting as well, I wonder how long the wait will be??
Not sure, but I'm looking forward to to haha
Old 03-12-2021, 03:04 PM

Looking like they'll be available for RV's soon.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...vyj6sJhSkCJsIg
Old 03-12-2021, 04:17 PM

Starlink not yet available in my area

preorder

Your service address cannot be changed after placing your order. This order is only applicable to the service address above.
Hardware
$649.00
Shipping & Handling
$65.00
Tax
$78.54
Service
$129.00 /mo
Due Today
$792.54

I think I'll wait
Old 03-12-2021, 04:53 PM

What about Telus rural wi fi? Its a hub and portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

preorder

Your service address cannot be changed after placing your order. This order is only applicable to the service address above.
Hardware
$649.00
Shipping & Handling
$65.00
Tax
$78.54
Service
$129.00 /mo
Due Today
$792.54

I think I'll wait
Old 03-12-2021, 04:54 PM

From what I have read scaling may be the issue with starlink. IE can it maintain good speeds with enough users/satellite to make the company a viable money maker and keep clients happy. It'll be interesting to watch as user numbers go up.

Not sure I like the option of internet while camping. I feel like that is one of the biggest benefits to camping these days...forced break from tech and the negative crud it brings with it
Old 03-13-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

preorder

Hardware

$649.00

Shipping & Handling

$65.00

Tax

$78.54

Service

$129.00 /mo

Due Today

$792.54

I think I'll wait
I am thinking that service is avaiable based on the pricing given. Up at my cabin, the only service currently available is xplornet satellite. Neighbour is paying $154 a month for it and there are data caps. When I checked for availability of Starlink at the cabin, it shows $129 required .

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk