Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
I brought 3 wolfs there in november 2011 to get rugs done out of them,he had told me they should be ready by june,its 9 months later and give him $ on them already and every time i talk to him he says there almost ready only the finishing touch to do,damn how long does it take to do the finishing touch,wouldnt recomend him to no one anyway.
at the end of the day..how did they taste?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Default BBQ Blackened Smoked Salmon Bites

This is the evolution of the other salmon recipe, which I've used for years.

• Cut your skinless salmon fillets into 1" strips, across the grain.
  • In a large plastic or glass bowl mix 1 part pickling or kosher salt with 2 parts brown sugar.
  • In a large glass or plastic container put a 1/4" layer of the mixed cure followed by a layer of salmon strips. Cover with cure and repeat layering until the container is near full. Put a lid on the container and let it sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours, mixing it up every hour or so. (The cure will turn into a liquid). The fillets are done once they take on a firm texture and the edges become translucent.
  • Remove all the fish and rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Take the time to rinse for a good 5-10 minutes, making sure to rinse every individual piece a few times. If you don't, it'll end up too salty. Let it dry in a strainer for 5-10 minutes.
  • Wash out the container and put all of your clean salmon back into it. This time cover the fish with 1 part soy sauce to 3 parts pure maple syrup. At the same time, put 3-4 cups of wood chips/shavings (I use Alder) in a separate bowl of water and let them soak as well. Let the salmon sit in the fridge for at least 12hrs, stirring and flipping a few times over the course of it.
  • After 12 hrs don't rinse the salmon off, but drain it and let it sit on a drying rack until it gets tacky to the touch. Scorch your bbq grill, clean it and rub it down with olive oil on a paper towel. Set your bbq to it's lowest setting. If you have a side searing station in the main grill, perfect. You're looking for 120-140 degrees.
  • Lay the salmon strips across the grill pattern (if you lay them with the grill they'll be tougher to move without breaking once the salmon warms up and gets soft), and brush every strip with 100% maple syrup, just one good coating.
  • Throw a few cups of soaked wood chips into a small pie plate and put it over the side of your grill that is on (again, the searing station works perfect) I put through two cycles of wood chips, over a half hour or so and then that's it for smoke. Pay close attention to the wood chips because you're gonna want to get them out of there as soon as they've done there burn, even a bit before every last chip is black. If you leave the chips in for too long you'll pick up that acrid, bitter smoke flavor.
  • Once the smoking is done let the fish sit in the bbq @ 130ish for another 3-4 hours. At this point you can remove the salmon and package it as is, or you can do the next step which my wife and I agree just make this recipe what it is.
  • Once our fish is done in the bbq I go out and open the lid and crank the bbq onto high. I'll stand out there with a table next to me with a cooling rack on it and just monitor/turn the salmon for the high temp part. I try to get it so that every piece of fish has a decent amount of slightly charred meat. If you do this right quickly, you'll mostly be charring the syrup that's on the outside which I find REALLY elevates the flavor.
  • Once they've all got a splash of "burnt" on them I let them cool outside on the rack until they're cool enough to vacuum seal.
  • The salmon meat will be quite flaky and weak when you're charring it so be prepared to be fast but gentle with your tongs. It's going to break into smaller pieces no matter what you do, you're just trying not to destroy it so that it falls apart completely and drops through your bbq grate. It really firms up nicely once it's totally cooled off.
  • I'll add some pictures the next time I open a package. I'm telling you, once you have a chunk of this sweet/smokey salmon you're going to have a hard time not eating the entire package. That's why we package it in reasonably small portions. Otherwise I make a pig of myself.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsports View Post
This is the evolution of the other salmon recipe, which I've used for years.

• Cut your skinless salmon fillets into 1" strips, across the grain.
  • In a large plastic or glass bowl mix 1 part pickling or kosher salt with 2 parts brown sugar.
  • In a large glass or plastic container put a 1/4" layer of the mixed cure followed by a layer of salmon strips. Cover with cure and repeat layering until the container is near full. Put a lid on the container and let it sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours, mixing it up every hour or so. (The cure will turn into a liquid). The fillets are done once they take on a firm texture and the edges become translucent.
  • Remove all the fish and rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Take the time to rinse for a good 5-10 minutes, making sure to rinse every individual piece a few times. If you don't, it'll end up too salty. Let it dry in a strainer for 5-10 minutes.
  • Wash out the container and put all of your clean salmon back into it. This time cover the fish with 1 part soy sauce to 3 parts pure maple syrup. At the same time, put 3-4 cups of wood chips/shavings (I use Alder) in a separate bowl of water and let them soak as well. Let the salmon sit in the fridge for at least 12hrs, stirring and flipping a few times over the course of it.
  • After 12 hrs don't rinse the salmon off, but drain it and let it sit on a drying rack until it gets tacky to the touch. Scorch your bbq grill, clean it and rub it down with olive oil on a paper towel. Set your bbq to it's lowest setting. If you have a side searing station in the main grill, perfect. You're looking for 120-140 degrees.
  • Lay the salmon strips across the grill pattern (if you lay them with the grill they'll be tougher to move without breaking once the salmon warms up and gets soft), and brush every strip with 100% maple syrup, just one good coating.
  • Throw a few cups of soaked wood chips into a small pie plate and put it over the side of your grill that is on (again, the searing station works perfect) I put through two cycles of wood chips, over a half hour or so and then that's it for smoke. Pay close attention to the wood chips because you're gonna want to get them out of there as soon as they've done there burn, even a bit before every last chip is black. If you leave the chips in for too long you'll pick up that acrid, bitter smoke flavor.
  • Once the smoking is done let the fish sit in the bbq @ 130ish for another 3-4 hours. At this point you can remove the salmon and package it as is, or you can do the next step which my wife and I agree just make this recipe what it is.
  • Once our fish is done in the bbq I go out and open the lid and crank the bbq onto high. I'll stand out there with a table next to me with a cooling rack on it and just monitor/turn the salmon for the high temp part. I try to get it so that every piece of fish has a decent amount of slightly charred meat. If you do this right quickly, you'll mostly be charring the syrup that's on the outside which I find REALLY elevates the flavor.
  • Once they've all got a splash of "burnt" on them I let them cool outside on the rack until they're cool enough to vacuum seal.
  • The salmon meat will be quite flaky and weak when you're charring it so be prepared to be fast but gentle with your tongs. It's going to break into smaller pieces no matter what you do, you're just trying not to destroy it so that it falls apart completely and drops through your bbq grate. It really firms up nicely once it's totally cooled off.
  • I'll add some pictures the next time I open a package. I'm telling you, once you have a chunk of this sweet/smokey salmon you're going to have a hard time not eating the entire package. That's why we package it in reasonably small portions. Otherwise I make a pig of myself.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Mennonite Pork Sausage

An old recipe!

12lbs fresh Lean Pork or(50/50 mix Pork and Wild Game Meat)
6 lbs Fresh Fat Pork
2 Tbsp Sage
1 Tbsp Pepper
1 Tsp Cloves
1 Tsp Nutmeg
4 Tsp Salt

Mix thoroughly and stuff into casings
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Hare Krishna

Found this and made me smile.
Looks tasty- now I just need some rabbits

http://honest-food.net/2013/03/28/rabbit-curry-recipe/
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Smile Confederate Beans

1 lb. ground beef
1 60 oz. can pork & beans
1 12 oz. can kidney beans
1 12 oz. can navy beans
1 12 oz. can black beans
1 12 oz. can pinto beans
2 med onions chopped
1 lb. bacon fried crisp and chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/2 cup Jack Daniels
1/4 cup vinegar
1 clove garlic crushed

Brown onions and ground beef in skillet. Combine all ingredients in large pot, cook 20 to 30 mins and serve. Adjust ingredients to your personal taste. Enjoy!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Default Doughboy Recipes

Recipes from WW1

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/food.htm
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Venison Burgers!!

-2lbs ground venison
-1 pack of stove top stuffing ( already cooked )
-1 egg
-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
-1 cup of brown sugar BBQ sauce

Mix all ingredients together. Pack into burger patties. Toss onto grill, or oven 350 for 25 min.

Best venison burgers...I promise
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Gizzard Gulch

1 package of gizzards (chicken or turkey)or wobbly bits from your days afield!
water
coarse sea salt

1tbsp olive oil
5 cloves of garlic finely minced
crushed chili peppers
DIRECTIONS

Wash the gizzards in cold water and cut them into small pieces.
Place them in a pot filled with water and season with salt.
Let them cook in low for about 2 hours or until very soft to the fork.
Warm the olive oil in a skillet and sautee the garlic and chili peppers.
Strain the gizzards (but keep the broth).
Sautee the gizzards in the skillet at medium to high.
Once they start browning add a little of the broth and serve with toothpicks

Last edited by omega50; 04-24-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Gizzard Gulch

1 package of gizzards (chicken or turkey)
water
coarse sea salt

1tbsp olive oil
5 cloves of garlic finely minced
crushed chili peppers
DIRECTIONS

Wash the gizzards in cold water and cut them into small pieces.
Place them in a pot filled with water and season with salt.
Let them cook in low for about 2 hours or until very soft to the fork.
Warm the olive oil in a skillet and sautee the garlic and chili peppers.
Strain the gizzards (but keep the broth).
Sautee the gizzards in the skillet at medium to high.
Once they start browning add a little of the broth and serve with toothpicks
this is a keeper!!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

Default Sauerbraten

My wife is making a couple of sauerbraten deer sirloin roasts and people have asked me about the recipe in the past. It's pretty easy to make and so delicious! My wife gets the sauerbraten spices and gravy mix from Germany so finding the exact same ones in Canada could be a bit of a challenge. It's well worth having a look and finding them though.

A bottle or two of cheap red wine
Ostmann Sauerbraten Gewurz (These are the spices)
Knorr Classic Roast Gravy Mix "Hunter"
One medium sized cooking onion

Place a roast in a bowl and cover it with sauerbraten spices. Add a medium sized cooking onion sliced thick. Boil enough red wine and add it to cover the roast in the bowl. Drink any wine left in the bottle. Cover the bowl and let the roast marinade for two or three days in the fridge. Your home should smell fantastic at this point.

After a couple or 3 days remove the roast from the bowl and wash off the spices. Brown the meat in a frying pan and place it in a slow cooker. Strain the wine to remove all of the spices and onion slices. Mix the gravy mix into the wine and pour it into the slow cooker with the roast. Cook it for 4 hours on high. Remove the roast and thicken the gravy with flour as required.

We absolutely love doing our wild game roasts this way and for me it's a real treat! The meat stays nice and moist and the flavour is incredible! Guten appetit.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Pepper Steak

I'm more of a try and taste type of cook rather than recipes... Threw this together two days ago and DAAAAAM it was tasty!

Two packs of Stip "Roasts" from your favorite big game (mine was WT and was about 3lbs total - we usually leave our steaks in Roast form and slice them at time of cooking)

Add steaks to slow cooker
Cube and add 3 or 4 large peppers of your choosing (yellow / red / orange / green)
Peel / cube and add 1 large apple
Cube 1 red or white onion
Couple cups of cola
Couple TBSP of honey
Few splashes of favorite hot sauce (Spicy is better)
Few splashes of any type of vinegar

Season to taste - onion salt / garlic / Steak spice etc.
Let cook in slow cooker on low for 24hrs (smells soooooo goood!)

Add over rice or potatoes and enjoy!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Red Curry Fiddleheads

Fiddlehead Ferns in Red Curry Sauce (based on the Indonesian dish known as Gulai Pakis)
Makes 4-6 servings

1 1/2 pounds fiddlehead ferns
2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or safflower
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1-inch piece of fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
4 Thai chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 tablespoons red curry paste*
One 13-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
Salt to taste
Freshly ground white pepper to taste

In a medium (2 quart) saucepan over high heat, bring 1½ quarts water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the fiddleheads. After the water returns to a boil, use a slotted spoon to transfer the fiddleheads to an ice bath. Chill 10 minutes, drain and pat dry, removing as much of the outer yellow/brown skin as possible.

In a large (10-12 inch), heavy skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Stir-fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the chilies and curry paste and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning with salt and white pepper. Add the fiddleheads and continue to simmer until they are tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice and any grilled meat, poultry, or fish.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Cheeseburger Pie

Cook 1lb Ground Beef, Moose or Goose with 1/2 cup chopped onion til browned.Drain and add 8 oz tomato sauce, 4 oz drained mushrooms,1/4c chopped parsley and 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1/8 tsp pepper.

Unroll 1 of 2 pkgs of Crescent Rolls & separate and place in a lightly greased 9" pie plate to form a bottom pie crust
Separate 1 egg keep yolk aside and mix egg white with 2 beaten whole eggs and pour 1/2 of egg mixture on the pie shell. Add all of the meat mixture. Arrange 6 cheese slices over top and pour over the other 1/2 egg mixture. Mix yolk with 1 tblsp water and brush on the pastry rim.

Unroll 2nd pkg of Crescent Rolls placing all 8 sections together to form a top shell. Seal the edges and flute. Cut slits brush top with egg yolk mix and bake in 350F oven for 20 minutes. Cover with foil loosely and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Coyote stew
2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Instructions: Throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and let them cook for about 8 hours.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM

I ate roast coyote at a Devon fish and game dinner . Tasted better than I thought it wood. Had roast cougar at a Edmonton Fish and Game club dinner. Tasted great. .
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Found an online game cookbook site.
Worth checking out.

http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/ho...salmon-recipe/
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Default Wild Game Recipes

I have a 1980 Cold Lake District Sportsmen's Fish & Game
Assocation Cook Book. Many consider this one of the finest
Wild Game Recipe Books ever published with over 300 Pages.

I am not technically equipped, nor do I have the knowledge
but I would wonder if this could be placed in the AO data base
for everyone's use and would donate it toward that purpose.I've had it
since new in my small antique collection. This is the type of item
that the general public should have access too, is this possible?.
Carpe Diem!.
Old Dad Taylor
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Default Fish patties

As a kid my I remember my grandfather living in an old two room shack he had moved to the farm when the old house burnt down.It smelled of coal dust,coal oil and wood smoke.He cooked on an old wood cook stove and made the best fish patties I've ever ate.They probably would best be cooked over an open flame.Here is how he made them,to my best memory,
1 part canned salmon(could probably substitute any fresh cooked fish tho)
2 parts instant mashed potatoes(once again could use boiled ones mashed)
Chopped green onions to taste
Small amount garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything in bowl,form into patties.Melt glob of butter in pan.
Thro patties in medium hot cast iron fry pan cook until crusty on each side

Enjoy

For some reason everything always tasted better when he cooked.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Default Curry Corn Fritters

15 oz creamed corn
2 eggs beaten
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 cups flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry Powder

4-5 cups of oil for frying

Combine corn, eggs and butter.
Sift dry ingredients together and blend in corn mixture. Drop by spoonfuls into 375F oil. Fry approx 4 minutes, turning once to cook evenly. Drain well and toss in hot melted honey to coat.

If I don't have creamed corn- I make my own- heating whipping cream with frozen corn and blending it- then adding additional corn as a garnish

I also do a version with the addition of diced red pepper and a Thai Red Curry paste.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Default Simple Elk & Morel Stew (can be made gluten free)

This is a family favorite, and my original recipe that I came up with a couple years ago.

3 carrots
4 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
2 tbsp Worcestershire
8 cups of hot water ( use 1 1/2 for soaking the morels)
1.5 lbs cubed elk meat inside round steaks
1 leek diced
1 onion diced
1-2 russet potatoes diced very small
3 russet potatoes cubed ( add 1 more if gluten-free)
1 cup of dried (or fresh) morel mushrooms (adjust amount to liking)
salt
1 tsp paprika

Cube up the elk meat nicely, no fat.
If you aren’t going gluten-free, you can toss them and coat them with flour then fry them up. If you are gluten-free, skip the flour and just fry them up until the meat is browned on all sides.
Soak your morels for 30 minutes in hot water.
Sautee the onions, leeks and carrots quickly and then toss into the crock pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients (mushrooms with liquid as well) and cook for 4-5 hours on high in your crock pot, again, this depends on how hot your crock pot gets. The elk meat needs to be almost falling apart tender and the potatoes/veggies very soft.
Take out 1 1/2 cups of stew and puree with a hand blender, then return to the pot to thicken the stew. This is the secret to a good stew "base".
Serve and enjoy!

This is a great fall stew! Or spring.. Or these horrible rainy Edmonton days....
I'm Karlynn, author/creator of The Kitchen Magpie, proud Canadian girl, mama & wife, creator of simple, family friendly food/recipes & lover of all things outdoors. Fishing fanatic. Writer of many stories, photographer of everything.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Deer/ Moose Stirfry meat

Im kind of a an expirementing kind of woman and came across this recipe while trying to find something new to do with our steaks. My family really enjoyed this recipe and it has become a household favourite.

2-4 lbs of your favourite wild meat cut into small strips

2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp crushed garlic (we mince the actual cloves)
2 Tsp Ginger
* You can use 3 - 4 Tbsp of a garlic ginger mix as well
2 Cups Soya Sauce (reduced sodium works really well)
1 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl and let meat marinade 2hrs (more marinade time works better) Heat up a skillet or a large frying pan. When meat is done marinading add the meat to the heat (Add some but not all of the marinade or there will be to much juice). Make sure to cook thoroughly. Add any vegetables you would like

* We normally just cook this and have rice and peas on the side
Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-in-Cochrane View Post
Not really a recipe per say but the best manner of cooking these I've ever tried.

Make up pancake batter with 7-Up instead of water. Coat the cheeks and deep fry. Amazing.
works with Burbot cheeks tooo!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 AM

Default Real Texas Chili-no beans, etc! meat!!!

I used cubed game...toasted whatever dried chilis you can get....or if need be use a lot of paprika. Been the most amazing chili ever, plus a side of cornbread and youre heavenly. garlic, stock, meat conrmeal and you are golden. if you want ground , google snakebite chili.

http://www.itsnoteasyeatinggreen.com...eans-no-beans/

as close as I can get to chili perfection...for the tough cuts

otherwise wrap in bacon, grill to rare....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Tried this one summer sausage turned out pretty good.

http://www.wildgamegrill.com/recipedetail.php?id=20
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Meat Pie (Tourtiere)

Ingredients

1 pound ground venison/moose
1/2 pound ground bacon or pork (bacon is my preference)
1 large baked potato OR 1cup frozen hashbrowns
1 large onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional), I just use an extra dash of allspice
1 dash ground allspice
1/2 cup water
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie
Directions

Bake the potato until done, 30 - 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM

This was posted by Arn?Narn in another thread, turned out great.

-------------------------------
I make this a lot.

Take two pounds of your favourite wild game. No fat, silver or any other chewy bits, just goos lean meat.

Chop it up very fine, it should looked like flaked tuna when you are done.

In a baking pot or dish add all these ingrediants together.

Wild game of your choice

1/2 cup of onion chopped fine
1 Red Pepper chopped small
1 Green Pepper chopped small
1 1/2 cups of peach yogurt
3 boiled potatoes
3 Tbsp yellow curry
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Pepper
3 Tbsp Franks hot sauce
2 Tbsp coarse mustard

Mix and mash it all together. It will be every thick. Now add enough milk to bring it to a gravy consistency.

Bake at 250 for 4-6 hours.

Give it a mixing now and then and little tasting, you may want a little more cuury, a little more hot sauce or a little more yogurt. This recipe is much miler than what I make, but it's better to be mild and hotten it up to taste as you are cooking.

Serve on basmati and if you don't have basmati, go get some !!! lol
Jasmine rice is ok too, but i always eat basmati.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Default Creamed grouse in mushroom soup

CREAMED GROUSE IN MUSHROOM SOUP
Ingredients
1-Cup of Flour
1-Tsp. Black Pepper
Pinch Garlic Salt
1-Tsp.Seasoning Salt
2-Tsb. Onion Salt
2-Tbs. Butter or Margarine / Olive oil
1-Can Cream Mushroom Soup

Note You Can add UP or Take away Spices as You Prefer

Remove All Meat From Bone_ Cut Meat into Cubes_ [¾”]
-Mix all Dry Ingredients [This Will be your Dry Batter]
-Coat your Meat with Dry Batter
- Melt Butter/ Margarine with Olive oil in a Fry Pan
-Add Meal and Cook until it is Golden Brown
-Mix in Mushroom Soup. Simmer for a Bit 8-10 Minutes
Eat And Enjoy this is awesome My Kids and Wife Love it..
Muskeg_lover

By the way This works good with Chicken as Well.

Last edited by Muskeg_lover; 12-18-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 AM

Crockpot Lamb Shanks Recipe

1 sweet onions, sliced and separated into rings
4 lamb shanks
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
10 whole, peeled garlic cloves, large ones cut in half (or more to taste)
8 ounces mushrooms, brushed clean, large ones cut in half
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup strong beef broth (double-strength)
1 (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes (about 1-3/4 cups)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 small bay leaf, broken in half
Preparation:

Spread sliced and separated onion rings on bottom of crockpot.

Rub lamb shanks with Worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.

Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and brown the lamb shanks. Place browned lamb shanks, along with any browned bits from the skillet, in the slow cooker crock on top of the onions. Top with whole garlic cloves and mushrooms.

In a bowl, combine red wine, beef broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, allspice, and bay leaf. Pour mixture over the vegetables and lamb shanks.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Serve with pan juices and vegetables.

You may wish to make this a day ahead of time and refrigerate. This way you can easily scrape off the excess fat from the gravy before reheating and serving.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Grilled Hoisin-Marinated Venison Loin Recipe

Venison is marinated in hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and honey, then grilled until it is crunchy on the outside, but tender inside. Be sure to use unseasoned rice vinegar. Plan ahead to marinate the venison at least 4 hours before grilling.
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

Ingredients:

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup minced scallions, including green parts
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 boneless venison strip loin, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, well trimmed, silver skin removed
Preparation:

Whisk together hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, honey, salt, and oil, and scrape into a large resealable plastic bag. Add venison and seal, turning to coat evenly. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Remove venison from refrigerator and return to room temperature before cooking.

Light a gas or charcoal grill and heat to medium. Grill for 15 minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare.

Yield: 6 servings

Per serving: 339 calories; 10.7 g fat (2.4 g saturated fat; 28 percent calories from fat); 12.1 g carbohydrates; 171 mg cholesterol; 857 mg sodium; 46.7 g protein; 0.6 g fiber.

Recipe Source: D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook by Ariane Daguin, George Faison, and Joanna Pruess (Little Brown)
Reprinted with permission.