Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default Make a wish is ANTI Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
You dont understand Jamie.....the people in the offices of the Make-A-Wish send the kids fishing (if that is their wish) through outfits like ours (free of charge BTW), The ladies in the office are volunteers and they dole out the wishes (whatever they may be) to the appropriate sources that fullfill those wishes. Its not like the staff there hunt or fish, so what else can they do other than out-source the wish? Get real.
Your rant is fruitless and shows how little you really know about the Make-A-Wish.
Rumtan, once again let me thank you for doing what you can for the kids. Any effort to give sick kids a chance to fulfill a dream is a noble effort.

Now let’s continue our conversation.

#1 I do understand Make a wish.. I wonder if you do??
Make a wish collects donations and then allows kids to go on a "Wish" trip. Be it Disney land, Visiting relatives, meeting a celeb.. Whatever they want, and Make a wish pays for these things out of donations

BUT they do not allow children to ask for a Hunting trip. This all came out a few years ago after the ANTIS threatened to pull financial support because a dying kid wished to go on a hunt of some sort. Even though they had all the Moral high ground any group could ask for, they CAVED!!!
Make a wish came up with BS excuse that sick kids couldn’t handle guns.. (But I wonder if anyone has tried the Bow End of things?)

That is the crux of my issue. You guys are sportsmen, why not support a group who supports what you do? I don’t like the excuse.. "They allow Fishing"
Because all that does is throw a dividing line between 2 groups that are actually one group.

My Rant is not fruitless... My rant is dead on, and you didn’t do your homework when you came up with this idea. (Well that and its not a Rant)
In a roundabout way, by that charity being picked, you just supported the ANTIS and the thought process to bring an end to hunting. I know that wasn’t what you had intended.. But that is one of the results.

You had no idea that they didn’t allow sick and dying kids to do what they wanted.

These are my feelings.
Make a wish is a organisation that does wonderful things for kids. However I chose to support the organisation that does similar things but are more to my tastes and what I would assume should be most Outdoorsmen's tastes.

Now that you know, what are your feelings on the subject?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Ah man why is it everyone seems to be picking fights . Who cares if Make A Wish is anti hunting . There's other organizations that would surely put a young boy or girl in contact to go on there dream hunt . Keep in mind these are typically young children . Enough from me before I get Warning e mails about my conduct of this forum .

I'm far from anti hunting . I fish hunt , and so on . I love the outdoors its who i am . Just because an organization doesn't want to be affiliated with hunting that's there choice .Like I said I'm sure if a youngster wanted to go on his or her Dream hunting trip , they would put the person in contact with the right organization that deals with that .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 02-20-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Had to add to my original post , so I dont get slammed for being anti hunting .
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Who cares if Make A Wish is anti hunting .
I care if they are anti hunting. I like to know that kind of information so I know where to donate my hard earned dollars.

Just like I care that Air Canada charges $50 to transport firearms and west jet does not, I avoid AC at all costs even when I'm not transporting firearms.

I like to think of it as 'making your point with action as opposed to words'.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM

http://www.huntofalifetime.org/

Started after many of the problems with Make A wish and their anti-hunting stance.

Quote:
Most importantly, Clayton & Gene Grosso of Grosso Outfitters, Nordegg, Alberta Canada, Gene's wife Becky for taking the time to go along with them to be their cook & medic. The village of Nordegg, Alberta Canada for all they did to make Matt's dream a reality. There are people everywhere helping youngsters that are in need and they helped give so many children can experience a Hunt of A Lifetime.
And an Alberta connection
Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Jamie a totally classless and downright dirty attack on a gentleman who is giving his time and effort to help support a worthwhile charity. It is about the kids not the politics involved.

If you do not like the choice of his charity then fine, no need for your commentary on it. And maybe, just maybe, you should ask him the story behind why he chose this charity and then maybe you can come back on here and humbly apologize to the man.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ah man why is it everyone seems to be picking fights . Who cares if Make A Wish is anti hunting . There's other organizations that would surely put a young boy or girl in contact to go on there dream hunt . Keep in mind these are typically young children . Enough from me before I get Warning e mails about my conduct of this forum .
John.. You are missing the point.(And its not a argument)
PETA supports this group, Peta was a big player in them getting rid of hunting...As a fisherman.. Your next on PETAS hit list.

You as a fisherman will need all the help you can get when push comes to shove. If you continue to support groups who discrimnate against hunting, you will not have anyone to stick up for you.

The unfortunate part of all of this is that its KIDS that get caught in the middle.. They have enough issues to deal with.

And yes there are other organisations that deal with the hunting end of things. So shouldnt we as sportsmen help out those organisations? They are not near as well funded as Make A WISH.. They need our help.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
John.. You are missing the point.(And its not a argument)
PETA supports this group, Peta was a big player in them getting rid of hunting...As a fisherman.. Your next on PETAS hit list.

You as a fisherman will need all the help you can get when push comes to shove. If you continue to support groups who discrimnate against hunting, you will not have anyone to stick up for you.

The unfortunate part of all of this is that its KIDS that get caught in the middle.. They have enough issues to deal with.

And yes there are other organisations that deal with the hunting end of things. So shouldnt we as sportsmen help out those organisations? They are not near as well funded as Make A WISH.. They need our help.

Jamie
I say bring PETA on , I got a 3 oz five of diamonds that would tare them a new hole .

Also notice I added to my post .
Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is not anti-hunting! This organization once attempted to set up a hunting trip on the wish of a sick child. There was tremendous pressure from their supporters to reconsider. The foundation was forced to make a difficult business decision. It chose not to go ahead with the planned hunt. Doing so would have jeopridized the wishes of future kids. It was a sound business decision!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Hats off to Rumtan for putting the effort in to help sick kids. However I do see what jamie is saying and I have to agree with him.
I stopped shopping at Mountain Equipment a few years ago because they support anti-hunting, why should this be any different? I would be a hypacrit if I threw some money at an event that is against the activity I love.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 PM

BBJ....................... i think on June 14th..... we will accept donations to the "Alberta Outdoorsmen Waaa-Bulance Foundation

It was a fishing derby on Family day Jamie. Not a Hunting derby. At least the money did go somewhere useful dont you think?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Anti-Hunting Groups Should Stop Bullying Sick Children
By Michelle Malkin

Times Editorial Columnist

Make-A-Wish fund-raiser

On Friday, KVI radio will host a fund-raising radiothon for Make-A-Wish of Washington State. For more information about the foundation, call 1-800-304-9474. Donations to the national headquarters can be mailed to: 100 W. Clarendon Ave., Suite 2200, Phoenix AZ 85013. ----------------------------------------------------------------- "SELFISHNESS is not living as one wishes to live," wrote Oscar Wilde, "it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."

To paraphrase Wilde, selfishness is not living one's wishes, it is asking others to renounce their wishes in favor of one's own. And that is just what a number of animal-rights groups have demanded of Erik, a 17-year-old Minnesota boy afflicted with brain cancer whose dying wish is to hunt a brown bear in Alaska.

Erik and his dad are scheduled to take a once-in-a-lifetime hunting trip to Kodiak Island this month thanks to the charitable efforts of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The organization's Minnesota chapter made the arrangements with voluntary help and advice from Safari Club International, a hunters' association. Over 500 Safari Club members attended a fund-raising dinner in Erik's honor; they raised $4,000 for gear, clothing and travel.

Since 1980, Make-A-Wish has organized thousands of volunteers from around the world in an effort to fulfill the wishes of children with terminal illnesses or life-threatening medical conditions. It now has 82 chapters in the U.S., including one in Seattle (which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year), as well as 13 international affiliates.

As long as the child gets the green light from his or her doctors, the wish is limited only by the child's imagination - and, of course, the law. No dream is too silly or weird or politically incorrect. "It is our pledge never to deny a wish to an eligible child," Make-a-Wish officials say. For 16 years, they've kept their promises.

Enter the Fund for the Animals, Ark Trust, Inc., the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and Minnesota-based Earth Protector. In recent months, these anti-hunting groups have pressured Make-A-Wish to break its pledge to Erik. Jessica Glatzer, outreach coordinator of the Fund For Animals, issued this thinly veiled threat: "This young man's wish, which calls for the death of an innocent bear, has the strong potential to dissuade many of your donors from continuing to give money."

Gretchen Wyler, president of Ark Trust, Inc. (which is supported by a constellation of wealthy movie stars), also hinted at a boycott: "The foundation will never be able to sustain the damage this will do to their image, especially in the Hollywood community. . . . They will rue the day they ever let the Safari Club be a partner."

Susan Houk-McConnell, spokeswoman for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Washington state, told me these groups "certainly have the right to express their opinion." But some activists have crossed the line from expression to intimidation. They are waging a telecommunications war against Make-A-Wish. They have harassed the Minnesota chapter by tying up its phone lines with protest calls. And they want to take the campaign nationwide.

Leslie Davis, president of the Minneapolis-based Earth Protector, told the Associated Press last week: "We're going to hit the streets with signs and pamphlets and bloody their noses, and they won't recover." In a phone interview, Davis explained to me: "Our beef isn't with the kid and his father now. It's with Make-A-Wish." He says his group and others will picket local chapters, and then move into "action mode" by disrupting benefits for the foundation.

"Action Alerts" - complete with the foundation's phone and fax numbers - have been posted by various animal-rights groups on the Internet as well.

The zeal with which this battle is being carried out is disgraceful. According to Don McMillan, one of the organizers of Erik's trip, some callers to Make-A-Wish Minnesota "even expressed a wish that something would happen to Erik so that he couldn't take such a hunt." While flacks for the animal-rights groups express sympathy for Erik and support for Make-A-Wish, the words and actions of activists are clearly aimed at bringing the private charity to its knees.

Such extremist bullying cannot stand in a humane society, no matter how one feels about hunting. Erik's wish is heartfelt - and legal. As Make-A-Wish Foundation president James E. Gordon notes, the boy's request "is the wish of a youngster (that) reflects a lifelong involvement in family hunting and fishing trips."

Protesters have lost their sense of civility - and priorities. Make-A-Wish is a remarkable example of the power of private philanthropy. Through individual contributions, corporate donations, in-kind contributions and special events fund-raisers, the foundation has been able to grant some 40,000 wishes to kids worldwide. Major corporate sponsors include Microsoft, American Airlines, Toys 'R Us, Gillette and Discover Card.

Trips to Disneyworld and Disneyland are among the most popular requests. Meetings with movie stars, rock stars (such as Seattle's own Soundgarden) and athletes (including the Mariners' Ken Griffey Jr.) are also high on the list. Among the more creative requests granted: 14-year-old Matthew, a Kansan with bone cancer, wished for his own fishing pond in Kansas (stocked with crappie, bass and channel catfish). Other recipients have been able to visit the Central Intelligence Agency, donate Christmas presents to homeless children, and even swim with the dolphins.

Animal-rights activists who wish to "bloody the noses" of Make-A-Wish donors who make this all possible are wasting their energy - and their moral capital - over a single boy's dying wish. My check is in the mail.
A tough business decision for sure..........
Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 PM

Jamie, if Make-A-Wish were actively campaigning against hunting I'd agree with you and not support them one iota. However, it seems (from what I've read here) that there is no active campaign. I doubt they really care one way or the other. They appear to just be responding to heat from a group they consider to be a major supporter (or risk). Lack of guts? Perhaps. But I wouldn't suggest stoppping support for all the kids they do help. They don't seem to me to be an "anti" group. Since they seem to be swayed by pressure from supporters, perhaps the more proactive way to move would be a big donation from a hunting or firearms group.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Last edited by Albertadiver; 02-20-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: This thread is headed off the tracks, and I don't want to be a part of it
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM

and Jamie...... why did you delete that i said on your WALL.. that that was a low class cheap shot towards Rumtan??? truth hurts?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Hats off to Rumtan for putting the effort in to help sick kids.
x10

Quote:
However I do see what jamie is saying and I have to agree with him.
I also agree. However, seems people are bringing evidence forward that might suggest they are not "anti hunting"

Quote:
I stopped shopping at Mountain Equipment a few years ago because they support anti-hunting,
Have they publicly stated that? If so where. That would suck. That's a good store and I would hate to have to stop shopping there.

Quote:
I would be a hypacrit if I threw some money at an event that is against the activity I love.
Yes you would and nobody likes a hypacrit.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 02-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Ok.. Lets make one thing VERY CLEAR

I appreciate what Rumtan did and what he may do again in the future.

It was nice idea for the kids.

I just find it ironic that a group of sportsmen would give there hard earned cash to a worthwile charity BUT it is a charity who will not allow kids to enjoy the outdoors as they see fit.

From the sounds of it, Rumtan didnt know exactly who he was dealing with.
Thats all I was saying boys.

It wasent a cheap shot, It wasent a low blow.. It was a valid observation

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Jamie, you posted this for no other reason than to start a fight and belittle what Rumtan is doing. There is a story behind why they do this Make a Wish derby and I have been told it and I respect Rumtan for what he is doing.

And if I choose to support Rumtan in his endevaour that is my decision and my decision only. Not yours or anyone elses for that matter. I surely will not be judged by anyone on this forum for supporting Rumtan. I was invited down to see the fruits of their labour when they have the sick kids out fishing and I may well take him up on his offer. It is too bad by your attack on this fine endeavour that some kids now may not get their wish because of some external politics that they have no control over. Not every sick kid in the world wants to go hunting!

As for other groups, well then step up to the plate and do what Rumtan is doing and start a derby for them. I am sure we will gladly support it as anything to help out the sick kids in this country gets my attention.

As for PETA, if they are supporting the Make a Wish foundation so be it. I may not agree with their views on hunting but I agree with their support of this fine charitable organization. I will not let petty politics get in the way of helping out others less fortunate. If I had that attitude I would have never volunteered my time as much as I have done.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 PM

its was garbage.

You dont see Make a Wish out lacing dog food with glass or slashing tires. Its a Charity thats helps kids plain and simple.

So what............... if the charity of choice was Multiple Sclerosis or Canadian Diabetes Association....would the original post have been made?

Its not like the derby made a donation to Make A Wish in the number of multi thousand dollar figures. It was a Family day fishing event. WOW
Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Jamie a totally classless and downright dirty attack on a gentleman who is giving his time and effort to help support a worthwhile charity. It is about the kids not the politics involved.

If you do not like the choice of his charity then fine, no need for your commentary on it. And maybe, just maybe, you should ask him the story behind why he chose this charity and then maybe you can come back on here and humbly apologize to the man.
Sorry John.. Its not about that. And I take exception to your words.
It was just a suggestion that perhaps next time consider a charity group that is more to our tastes.

Your DEAD wrong on this one JOHNIN AB.

I have thanked him already, I have said a few times that it was a nice thought and he deserved some acolades. I just dont 100% aggree with his charity of choice. I am sure he had no idea that Make a Wish was a Anti hunter set up. SO perhaps next year if he choses to do something simalar he can make a more informed choice.
And if that happens to be Make a wish.. SO be it. Its still a good idea.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Look at your thread title Jamie. Make a Wish is anti hunting? On what piece of information did you get this fact you are purporting here?

As Doug stated they had to make a business choice for the best interests of all the kids they deal with. They did. Never once have I seen the Make a Wish foundation come out against hunting.

To even question Rumtan's choice of charities is inexcusable. You do not have a clue why so do not even attempt to question it. Not your place to do so.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I have thanked him already, I have said a few times that it was a nice thought and he deserved some acolades. I just dont 100% aggree with his charity of choice. I am sure he had no idea that Make a Wish was a Anti hunter set up. SO perhaps next year if he choses to do something simalar he can make a more informed choice.

Jamie
What a class act Why bash the good . The guy and his , business partner and there group do there all , get prizes donations, etc , They want to give there Maximum donation to MAKE A WISH .

I don' t really think its up to you to stir the pot and get everyone worked up over something you can't even control. Its there choice of a foundation to support , and its great there guys like Rumtan who do so . In my opinion this post is nothing other then a bash session.

FOR GOD SAKES ITS ABOUT THE KIDS AND NOTHING ELSE ......
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Default horse dong

You know i see a couple of guys that are helping kids who may not live long or may have problems and cant do lots. But donateing money to make a wish and seting up things to make moeny to donate and all you pple have to do is fight about it. I think its a dam great idea what there doing and i support what they to and hope thats there more things coming up soon. And remeber they do all this in there own free time to help out charrity. So to all you ppl out there who have nothing good to say about the idea can go blow horse dong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND BBJ'S RITE ITS ABOUT THE KIDS IF NOTHING ELSE.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Boy oh Boy are some of you guys SLOW..

Its not about bashing Rumatan. Its not even about Bashing his choice..

Answer this question.. IF Make a wish bans fishing trips for sick kids, are you still going to be there to support them with such tenacity?

If so.. Good for you. I made a business choice to support those that support what I do.

It's not like Make a wish is going to fold up becouse I made this choice. Its more like I feel better supporting a group who supports kids in the outdoors.

JohninAB. Make a wish purposfully made a decsion that I dont agree with. And you as a outdoorsman should understand that. I applaude what they are trying to do, but I dont aggree with the stance they have taken.

From a personal stand point if I have a choice between Make a wish and Hunt of a life time.. I will pick Hunt of a lifetime each and EVERY TIME.
Especially if I was throwing a Outdoor type event.

This is a OUTDOORSMEN board. Support the Kids who want to be Outdoors.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Its not about bashing Rumatan. Its not even about Bashing his choice..

Answer this question.. IF Make a wish bans fishing trips for sick kids, are you still going to be there to support them with such tenacity?

If so.. Good for you. I made a business choice to support those that support what I do.

It's not like Make a wish is going to fold up becouse I made this choice. Its more like I feel better supporting a group who supports kids in the outdoors.

JohninAB. Make a wish purposfully made a decsion that I dont agree with. And you as a outdoorsman should understand that. I applaude what they are trying to do, but I dont aggree with the stance they have taken.

From a personal stand point if I have a choice between Make a wish and Hunt of a life time.. I will pick Hunt of a lifetime each and EVERY TIME.
Especially if I was throwing a Outdoor type event.

Jamie
Correct me if I am wrong but Isnt HUNT OF A LIFE TIME , an purely HUNTING group willing to take needy children on there hunt of a life time ?????? Seems kinda one sided to me .
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Jamie

Is Rob and AO anti hunting then for posting this event on their forum? The event that supports an Anti Hunting Charity?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24629

Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
its was garbage.

You dont see Make a Wish out lacing dog food with glass or slashing tires. Its a Charity thats helps kids plain and simple.

WOW

No you dont see that. But by Make a wish folding to the demands of the types of groups that do SLASH TIRES.. They have given them power and confidence.
And honestly, those groups dont need any more power.

Donate to whom you wish. Just be mindfull of the consiquences.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Is Rob and AO anti hunting then for posting this event on their forum? The event that supports an Anti Hunting Charity?

DAMN MIKE I was just posting that LOL . I highly Doubt Rob or The albertaoutdoorsmen group would have not done some reasearch before allowing it to be posted .
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

Big.. Go ahead and ask Rob yourself.. He has read this I am sure. Perhaps now that Hunt of a lifetime has started a bigger operation here in Alberta we all will be able to help them out a bit.
Kelly Semple is helping to run it, so I am sure it will just continue to grow.

In fact this discusion has made me pick up the phone and leave a message with Kelly telling her I want to help out in some way.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but Isnt HUNT OF A LIFE TIME , an purely HUNTING group willing to take needy children on there hunt of a life time ?????? Seems kinda one sided to me .
"Hunt Of A Lifetime" is a nonprofit organization with a mission to grant hunting & fishing adventures and dreams for children age 21 and under, who have been diagnosed with life threatening illnesses. We are doing what we can to make a difference in their life, a dream come true

Absolutely nothing but praise for what RUMTAN has put together I know it must have been a difficult decision for make a wish since a majority of wishes they grant are to have children meet some of the liberal hollywood types that support groups like HSUS.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
"Hunt Of A Lifetime" is a nonprofit organization with a mission to grant hunting & fishing adventures and dreams for children age 21 and under, who have been diagnosed with life threatening illnesses. We are doing what we can to make a difference in their life, a dream come true

Absolutely nothing but praise for what RUMTAN has put together I know it must have been a difficult decision for make a wish since a majority of wishes they grant are to have children meet some of the liberal hollywood types that support groups like HSUS.
Ok , Thanks for the update .
Closed Thread